i'm gettin rabbits! ~got em! and pics and a question...

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it definatly could be nestbox eye.
make sure nest box is clean and theres pneyt of air flow...
for his eye clean in a mild salt water solution with a q-tip.
ive heard great things about using chamomile tea (or any black tea) you can use it to clean with a q-tip or just use the damp teabag to sit on the eye, supposedly works wonders...
if its realy bad youll probably need optimyxin or terramycin drops...but if hes also already weak/runty you might loose him anyway...

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2893_dutch_rabbits_2-6-2012_003.jpg

2893_dutch_rabbits_2-6-2012_002.jpg

2893_dutch_rabbits_2-6-2012_027.jpg

2893_dutch_rabbits_2-6-2012_028.jpg

2893_dutch_rabbits_2-6-2012_032.jpg

2893_dutch_rabbits_2-6-2012_041.jpg

2893_dutch_rabbits_2-6-2012_046.jpg

2893_dutch_rabbits_2-6-2012_055.jpg

2893_dutch_rabbits_2-6-2012_014.jpg

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:love

I think if I were to ever raise rabbits for meat, they'd have to be ones that looked wild.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Good looking rabbits! For the matted eyes, a little ACV(can just be store bought stuff) in the water for a couple days should clear it up. Just keep them cleaned out each day and the ACV...this always took care of any eye matting we ever had.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you still have the little one at weaning time. Wean the others and leave him and maybe one other (the next smallest) it will give him a little boost. And the other small one will help him keep warm.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i agree wiht the ACV, ive heard alot of good responce from folks doing acv in rabbits water...there beautiful though, veyr nicely marked.

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thanks guys. the runt of the litter died last night. the other kits were hopping about and he didnt have anyone to snuggle with or under. i dont know wether he really was a peanut or

just a runt or if someting else may have been wrong with him. but i saw him not cuddled up and picked him up. he kinda moved in my hand before he peed and died. (is it odd that i

have held enough animals as they died to know that tidbit?) at least now he wont have to fight for his life and i'm sure he is a big bunny up in bunny heaven where you can eat clover

all day. lol. yes i think that animals have a heaven too. they dont do the mean stuff humans do to each other, i think they deserve heaven alot more then alot of people.

yep. not even 72 hours and i've lost one. at least i was kinda expecting that one though. having thought it was a "peanut" at first anyhow and knowing that 2 weeks was the longest

they live. and i've gotten runts of the litter before. cats and dogs, etc. that have had problems and died. but at least he was cuddled and loved on a bit before he died.

also i figured out why the runt had nestbox eye. i had cleaned out the nest that came with them and it was all nasty. but i hadnt asked when she had last changed it or anything and i

was thinking you arent supposed to clean it but once a week anyhow. well i cleaned it and put in hay. that was yesterday. today i saw the hay looked all nasty. and in only about 24

hours. so i emptied it and sure enough it was being used as a litter box and a cuddle spot. so i have not put it back in. instead i put plenty of hay in the cage for them to snuggle in.

that is easier to clean anyhow then a gross plastic box thing. it had been one of them little pink plastic hospital bins. it was quite dirty and chewed on alot.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
im sory he didnt make it but at least he was given the opportunity and the rest are doing well...
personally i feel that nestboxes should be removed as soon as the babies are moving about freely rabbits will generally pee and poop in small areas/corners/boxes which is why they tend to be easy to littertrain so personally i just find nest boxes ask for trouble lol. in the future might be worth using "open bottom" or "wire bottom nest boxes. as long as youve got plenty of hay/straw/fur in there theyll be fine but at least liquids can easily escape.

sounds like the others are doing well though and from the pics they look great :D

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Beautiful pictures! I'm glad you were able to give the little one some love before he moved on. I agree, they deserve a heaven a lot more than most people!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Beautiful pictures! I'm glad you were able to give the little one some love before he moved on. I agree, they deserve a heaven a lot more than most people!
Agreed!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts