i'm gettin rabbits! ~got em! and pics and a question...

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i am getting a chocolate dutch buck, steel dutch doe, and her 4 kits that are about 2 wks old, and two cages. as well as a harlequin lionhead buck, two broken black lionhead does, and a hutch for them. AND ALL THAT FOR $150!!! the dutchs come from the sweetpea lines. not sure what that means... anyone have any help for me on that?
going to pick them all up on sunday. SOOOO EXCITED!!!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Sounds like you got a great deal!

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great deal. :) Looks like a lot of us are getting rabbits this yr. Now we need to start a rabit thread. :) Good luck.

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
well going to pick them up at about 6 today. cant wait! will post lots of pics when i get them! :p

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
exciting, the dutch are nice, good personalites, good mommas, a little smaller for meat but still good :)

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
went to get the rabbits finally. well the hutch with the lionheads was bigger than the lady

told me over the phone. course she just guessed it because she couldnt find her tapemeasure. so

we only took one seat out of the van not two. so the hutch would not fit. so i will be going

back on tuesday to get them.

but i did bring the dutchs home! i was so stoked! once there the lady told me that the doe

can get cranky when she has babies. but she isnt cranky when she doesnt have them. the doe

seemed fairly calm to me and didnt seem that cranky but then again i did not just stick my hand

in there either. she told me the buck is always a sweetheart and knows what he's doing when it

comes to breeding. i'm pretty confident in dealing with the grumpy doe though.

the kits are 2 wks old. there are 5. now here is where my question is... one of the kits is

about half the size of the other 4. is there a "peanut" in dutch rabbits as in dwarf breeds? i

have read about it and am looking through info on the net again but i thought only the dwarf

breeds had the genes for peanuts.

only took the two pics because it was dark and i didnt want to be flashing a bunch in their

eyes. didnt want to stress them with the flashing after the van ride. they seemed calm though

http://rabbittalk.com/gallery/image.php?album_id=84&image_id=618

http://rabbittalk.com/gallery/image.php?album_id=84&image_id=617

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the little bun is probably just the runt...
i belive only dwarf breeds throw "peanuts" in the true sense, peanuts are generally not properly formed, they LOOK premature, generally very bulgy eyes, under developed back ends, their feet and ears will look different too. so as long as he looks normal other than being smaller than his siblings id say hes just a runt rather than a true peanut.

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
his eyes are kinda "gunky". not sure how to explain it other than if you have alot of cats and they all get pinkeye infections and they get gunky eyes and you have to put that powder medicine on their eyes after you wash off the gunk. i will get a picture of it tomorrow. is this "nestbox eye"?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I couldn't view the pics. Said I wasn't authorized. :(