i'm in so much trouble, need bird intervention **must be stopped!**

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ok, so i bought two blue Wyandotte pullets yesterday morning. then i went and picked up the two tufted Roman geese from kcsunshine. and then, right on time, my little Gretel's chicks started hatching!!

it's our first hatch here on the farm! Gretel has been a complete champ, sitting on those eggs like her life depended on it. so far the green egg has hatched (EE mom, looks like Orp dad) and one of Gretel's own gray Silkie eggs! i'm so proud and excited.

and then i remembered i just let two more hens go broody... standard hens sitting on 8 eggs each. i think i might need a little bit of an intervention.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
You won't get it from me either! The more the merrier! I have my neighbor buying up eggs faster than the chickens and duck can lay them! :lol:

Congrats!!

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ha Ha - none from me either - Gals, here's the pic of her with the geese in the back of her dad's car. They took their bath yesterday, packed their suitcases and sat down calmly and waited for her; went quietly in the car and just sat there waitin' for the ride.

1343_010.jpg

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
it happened again. i just can't be trusted.

went to the Amish Community Market and livestock sale in Delano, TN, today (thanks Karen for telling us about it!) and i came home with 3 (supposedly and most likely) Araucana pullets (3 months old), 2 Bourbon Red poults (2-3 weeks), and 2 Royal Palm poults (3-4 weeks). :hide

i can't believe i finally BOUGHT TURKEYS!!! they look hilarious in with my 3 week old chicks.

i also bought some yummy looking apple butter, blueberry preserves, salsa, whole wheat bread, tomatoes (already ate one and it was delicious), and cucumbers.

i was very proud of the fact that i didn't purchase a 200 lb pig and try to bring it home in the car. or the Holstein calf. or a trio of breeding turkeys. or that one goat. or the ducks. or some more geese. and especially the guineas- wow, they really are loud.

then i started feeling a bit guilty when i stopped on the way home and bought a pair of Wheaten Marans (4 months) from a BYCer.... especially since i had to rush home and finish building tractor #2 (i finished tractor #1 yesterday) so the chickens would have a place to live.... i'm officially out of housing options.

oh wait, did i forget to mention that between yesterday afternoon and 30 mins ago, i had 5 more chicks hatch? and that there are still 3 eggs left to possibly hatch............:th so, i'm up to 32 chickens (hopefully 35 soon), 4 turkeys, and 2 geese.

oh my god, that's 41 birds to feed and house and love. :weee OR :barnie i haven't decided which.

eta: pics now up