I'M SO MAD!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
My 10 year old Sis gave my 9 year old daughter "the talk"!!!!!!!!!! and my 5 year old son!!!

We have continually asked her NOT to tell my children things that my mom tells her because it is OUR place as parents to have that talk with our children.

Now, thanks to my sister, my 9 year old daughter not only knows that it takes a man and a woman to have a baby, but she knows INTIMATE details on HOW that baby is created!!! :barnie :smack

So I called over there to talk to mom, because this just burns me! :somad but mom's not home yet so I told step dad and now when mom gets home I'm giving her an earful!!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Sorry, that is awful!

My 3 yo asked me the other day how the baby got in my belly and I told her it was God's Blessing and she did not think that was a good enough answer! She wanted to know HOW!! I told her I would tell her when she got older and she finally let it go!!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Uh-oh!! I sure wouldn't want to be in your sis' shoes right now.

Maybe after you talk to your mom, you could ask your DD if she has any questions about what she was told.

As far as your 5 year old, he is way too young to hear that, much less understand.

When my DS was around 10, he played with a 12 year old neighbor boy. I had to put a stop to that because he was constantly telling stuff like that and teaching my son bad words.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I remember getting some interesting.....and incorrect....details from neighborhood kids when I was even younger, maybe 6-ish? You bet my mom started regular talks after that, complete with drawings when necessary! (just sperm/egg stuff, as I recall)

Take control, mom! If not your sis, some schoolmate or friend will fill her little head with amazingly shocking stuff! I know it was hard for my mom, too, because her own mom told her nothing, not even about her periods.

Sorry you were forced out of your own timetable... that really stinks... :somad

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
It mostly irritates me because we homeschool and so we thought we would have control over when they get this part of their education!!

I did have the talk about monthly cycles with my daughter when she was 8 ONLY because women in my family on my dad's side have started as early as nine. I wanted her to be prepared incase that happened.

But this! We were waiting for her to come to us. We let our kids ask us, and we answer their questions honestly.

I fee violated!!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I always go by this rule of thumb, if they are old enough to ask, you better tell them because if they asked you, they WILL ask someone else, or at times it's because someone has introduced them to something they are questioning within themselves.

Your sister is simply being a kid...she knows something they don't and wants them to know it:>) After all she is the oldest...and she has to "prove" that she is the smartest...now it is up to you to give your daughter the guidelines...everything happens for a reason Quail...maybe it is something God knows she should know right now...

Don't be too hard on your sister...maybe your daughter asked her a question and she answered...

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quail -

I am sorry that your sister had "the talk" with your kids. It can happen anywhere. We had it happen at church with another 4th grader between service and Sunday School a few years back. We homeschool as well and I agree that you should talk with your daughter about what your sister has told her, just to clear up anything that isn't true. You can stress the sex is a beutiful gift from God for married couples. I pray about the situation for you. :hugs

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My dad was furious when I taught my children about where babies came from! He thought they were way too young. I agree with the thought that, if they are old enough to ask, you better tell them.

I would prefer not to have another child tell them, though!~ :p

Being a nurse, I just drug out the textbooks and showed them the pictures and explained the details. They found it interesting and asked many questions....and then never asked again! :lol:

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Thing is, we do talk to our daughter when she comes to us and asks. My sister has done this before as well and both my mom and I have told her NOT to talk to my kids about it and we've explained to her that it is a parents role to have "the talk" with their kids.

She's corrected my daughter on what the proper name is for body parts. I'd already had talked with my daughter about proper names for parts, and she chose to call it something else. My sister ripped her apart for it and told her how wrong she was.

Last summer we let our daughter, who's not developed at all yet, wear a small tank top outside in our own back yard. My mom was here with my sister. My sister told K that she would not play with her as long as she was "running around naked because women's breasts are disgusting." K came in the house in tears. I explained to K that 1) she's a little girl, not a woman, and 2) when she does become a woman her breasts will not be disgusting because God created her.

Talking to my mom tonight was futile. She pretty much said there was nothing she could do since "its not known how long ago or recent this conversation happened. Therefore she cannot get to the bottom of it or deal with it because my sister has no clue what we are talking about. Assuming K is telling the truth that is, because she could have picked that up anywhere."

Basically she thinks K is making it up.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You don't sound so much violated, as cheated. I know you wanted to chat about that "all so important" stuff in life with her. You got jiped...and you are not sure what info was passed on truly either.

You wanted control and lost it....to a kid..HA HA HA----I don't mean to laugh at all, but I only say that cause I know none of us truly have control. Even if you homeschool, it will happen....someone is going to give your kids info before you. Just a fact.

But don't get too mad at everyone. You just feel cheated you got to not be the first one to give the info at your time and what you wanted to say. I know......we all get jiped out of stuff in life. Your sis didn't mean to hurt you or anything. Kids doing what kids do.

Hope you are less mad as time goes by. I know Quail how you feel cause I would feel the same if it happened to me, but in the end, it is your kid Sis and she didn't mean to hurt anyone I am sure.

hang in there.....I HEAR it gets worse as they get older...lol...I don't know yet cause I only got an almost 4 year old....but I am hanging onto my chair and getting ready for blast off I am sure..HA HA