I'm thinking of dabbling in the farmers market next year.

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ninny, I don't want to sound like Debbie Downer, but I've been selling fruits and vegetables for 8 years, and it's a tough way to go. Not sure where you are, but if there are several farmer's markets in the area that happen on several days of the week, sometimes there is an overlap of the neighborhoods that attend them, and some of them don't do very well. You have to pay for a space whether you sell enough to cover it and your time or not. You'll have to work every weekend for the whole summer, usually May through the end of November. That means holidays, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day. Everyone else will go on vacation, but you can't. My mother used to get so upset when she'd want to have family dinners or occasions during the summer and I just couldn't go to them.

I have essentially November, December and January as a break. February comes around and all of the seed planting, and transplanting has to start. I have to put in almost 6 months of work before I get any money for what I grow. A lot of customers who go to farmer's markets grow their own tomatoes, so there may be a demand for them early in the season (which means you have to figure out how to get them ripe way before everyone else), but there's not much demand late in the season. Everyone has tomatoes by then. And they want flavor, special, rich flavor, not anything that looks odd or wild. Some of those odd tomatoes don't taste like much.

You'll need to plant steadily through the season to make sure you've got at least 30-50 pounds of tomatoes come ripe exactly every week, without fail, on time to take with you. That means upwards of 200 plants or more. Of course, they won't always be ready, they'll miss by a couple of days, so lots of them you'll keep for yourself or can them or dehydrate them, or donate them. But where you donate them may mean another trip somewhere. There's lots of competition at farmer's markets these days. Lots of people selling vegetables, so customers can get rather overwhelmed. You'll have to check prices every week, and see what the other sellers around you are selling their vegetables for.

They may not be very happy that another vegetable seller has moved in. Some of the farmers in my area resent each other. One women stops by and puts on this big show of how my vegetables don't taste good, (she's the only one who says this) or she accused me once of having tomatoes too early, "You CAN'T have tomatoes yet!" as if I were lying about it. It took some of them a couple years, but they've showed up and bought tomatoes just to get the seeds, so whatever you sell won't be all yours for long. They won't answer emails, they won't be friendly. I am really disappointed on this level, because we could help each other sell if we have extra or something goes wrong. But that isn't what is happening.

You won't be able to stay up late the night before. You'll have to load as much as you can into your car. You'll have to get up early in the dark, get yourself ready, take your own food and drink, enough cash to make change, things for signs, bags, containers, tables, shade umbrella, things to tie everything down in the wind, rain, cold, heat. Then drive to wherever it is, set things up, spend the time, take it all down, pack it all up, drive all the way back with whatever is left, which is sometimes a lot. Is your car big enough to haul all this stuff? You'll have to invest in a canopy, which can be several hundred dollars, and is at least 8 feet long when folded up. You'll need a place to store all the above stuff out of the sun when you're not using it.

When you get back you'll have to water, weed, feed, harvest and care for all those plants that you will rely on for the next week. You will be on your feet 12-15 hours on those days, and all the work has to happen without fail.

And if this all seems fine, don't forget that the gophers, moles, voles, bugs, raccoons, birds, and other critters will be right there messing with your plants. Sometimes the whole thing will flop, which is why selling many vegetables helps, because some won't make it, and you have to have a good variety to sell. One year I planted 300 tomato plants, and in one month 100 of them were pulled down by gophers. It was astonishing to me. And there was no time left to start new plants. Mother Nature is a cruel co-worker.

The booths may all look cute and pulled together, but what went into getting them that way is hard, serious, relentless work. :)

Lucky, that's amazing that they get to label it with something called a "kitchen not subject to inspection," I don't think there is such a thing. One of the rules of the farmer's markets here is that everything MUST be produced by the seller, they can't sell third-party things. But they can't produce things without a legal kitchen! Creepy!! The Health Department can shut the whole farmer's market down.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Daffodils At The Sea said:
ninny, I don't want to sound like Debbie Downer, but I've been selling fruits and vegetables for 8 years, and it's a tough way to go. Not sure where you are, but if there are several farmer's markets in the area that happen on several days of the week, sometimes there is an overlap of the neighborhoods that attend them, and some of them don't do very well. You have to pay for a space whether you sell enough to cover it and your time or not. You'll have to work every weekend for the whole summer, usually May through the end of November. That means holidays, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day. Everyone else will go on vacation, but you can't. My mother used to get so upset when she'd want to have family dinners or occasions during the summer and I just couldn't go to them.

I have essentially November, December and January as a break. February comes around and all of the seed planting, and transplanting has to start. I have to put in almost 6 months of work before I get any money for what I grow. A lot of customers who go to farmer's markets grow their own tomatoes, so there may be a demand for them early in the season (which means you have to figure out how to get them ripe way before everyone else), but there's not much demand late in the season. Everyone has tomatoes by then. And they want flavor, special, rich flavor, not anything that looks odd or wild. Some of those odd tomatoes don't taste like much.

You'll need to plant steadily through the season to make sure you've got at least 30-50 pounds of tomatoes come ripe exactly every week, without fail, on time to take with you. That means upwards of 200 plants or more. Of course, they won't always be ready, they'll miss by a couple of days, so lots of them you'll keep for yourself or can them or dehydrate them, or donate them. But where you donate them may mean another trip somewhere. There's lots of competition at farmer's markets these days. Lots of people selling vegetables, so customers can get rather overwhelmed. You'll have to check prices every week, and see what the other sellers around you are selling their vegetables for.

They may not be very happy that another vegetable seller has moved in. Some of the farmers in my area resent each other. One women stops by and puts on this big show of how my vegetables don't taste good, (she's the only one who says this) or she accused me once of having tomatoes too early, "You CAN'T have tomatoes yet!" as if I were lying about it. It took some of them a couple years, but they've showed up and bought tomatoes just to get the seeds, so whatever you sell won't be all yours for long. They won't answer emails, they won't be friendly. I am really disappointed on this level, because we could help each other sell if we have extra or something goes wrong. But that isn't what is happening.

You won't be able to stay up late the night before. You'll have to load as much as you can into your car. You'll have to get up early in the dark, get yourself ready, take your own food and drink, enough cash to make change, things for signs, bags, containers, tables, shade umbrella, things to tie everything down in the wind, rain, cold, heat. Then drive to wherever it is, set things up, spend the time, take it all down, pack it all up, drive all the way back with whatever is left, which is sometimes a lot. Is your car big enough to haul all this stuff? You'll have to invest in a canopy, which can be several hundred dollars, and is at least 8 feet long when folded up. You'll need a place to store all the above stuff out of the sun when you're not using it.

When you get back you'll have to water, weed, feed, harvest and care for all those plants that you will rely on for the next week. You will be on your feet 12-15 hours on those days, and all the work has to happen without fail.

And if this all seems fine, don't forget that the gophers, moles, voles, bugs, raccoons, birds, and other critters will be right there messing with your plants. Sometimes the whole thing will flop, which is why selling many vegetables helps, because some won't make it, and you have to have a good variety to sell. One year I planted 300 tomato plants, and in one month 100 of them were pulled down by gophers. It was astonishing to me. And there was no time left to start new plants. Mother Nature is a cruel co-worker.

The booths may all look cute and pulled together, but what went into getting them that way is hard, serious, relentless work. :)

Lucky, that's amazing that they get to label it with something called a "kitchen not subject to inspection," I don't think there is such a thing. One of the rules of the farmer's markets here is that everything MUST be produced by the seller, they can't sell third-party things. But they can't produce things without a legal kitchen! Creepy!! The Health Department can shut the whole farmer's market down.
Different markets different rules! A lot depends is the area underserved or overserved by sellers They like to pass rules to cut down their competion. Hey Daffodils is your mother's kitchen open for inspection? Would you eat there if it wasn't Yep we have rules at schools all treats must be commercially produced and packaged. but that does not stop church suppers or pot luck meals. I think I said to check the markets to learn there rules I would not try to produce under your rules. We also do Homestands here as well as pick your own lots different places different ways to do things....

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Americans have gotten somewhat lazy and complacent over the last few generations. The idea of working 12-15 hours a day doesn't even raise an eyebrow in many parts of the world. If DATS has been selling at the markets for 8 years, doing the work she described, then obviously she has found it rewarding or she wouldn't be doing it. An old saying is if you love what you're doing, it isn't work.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Britesea said:
Americans have gotten somewhat lazy and complacent over the last few generations. The idea of working 12-15 hours a day doesn't even raise an eyebrow in many parts of the world. If DATS has been selling at the markets for 8 years, doing the work she described, then obviously she has found it rewarding or she wouldn't be doing it. An old saying is if you love what you're doing, it isn't work.
Does it sound to you like she loves it? I didn't get that impression [My Bad?] I don't know what her life is like but suspect she is proud and she says it is tough. My mother took a job that she hated every fall so us kids could wear shoes and decent clothes to school. She would pray that the job {apple processing] would last long enough so she could draw unemployement during the winters.
My Dad gave all us kids one bit of advise. Do what you want to do but if it is farming I will know that I raised a fool. Does that sound like he loved his job farming? at 60 he packed it in and took a job that he did like even though it brought in less money. Some times we just do what we are forced to do.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think she was more trying to make sure I knew it was work. I'm really only planing on going a couple of times see how I like it. It's not so much if I sell anything just see if I like the whole deal. I would love to make it a pick up site for orders already in. But I have to have product first.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I did the same kind of thing for 12 years- only I was selling my crafted jewelry, not fruits and vegetables. Yes, I will tell anyone it was hard work; but I will also tell anyone that I loved it. The only reason I am not doing it now is that the economy caused my sales to plummet and I couldn't afford to keep doing it. I am sorry that your parents hated what they did, and apparently according to your father most of the people on this forum are "fools". Farming is a lifestyle choice more than a job, and it's not for everyone.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Britesea said:
I did the same kind of thing for 12 years- only I was selling my crafted jewelry, not fruits and vegetables. Yes, I will tell anyone it was hard work; but I will also tell anyone that I loved it. The only reason I am not doing it now is that the economy caused my sales to plummet and I couldn't afford to keep doing it. I am sorry that your parents hated what they did, and apparently according to your father most of the people on this forum are "fools". Farming is a lifestyle choice more than a job, and it's not for everyone.
I am pretty sure that my father would have considered most of the people on this forum either gardeners or "Kodak farmers" that was the term he used for landowners that would grow a somple crop like wheat while they made their living in the City [at that time Kodak was the biggest employer in the Rochester NY area] He told me when I bought 6.5 acres [and kept my day job] 'That isn't a farm, som, it is a hobby" Since you brought up the question I wonder how many here raise all there money through farming? Spouce or domestic partner have a off the farm job? Alimoney or child support payments? Welfare or food stamps? Telecommuters, sales on Ebay? Seems to me that you need to have inherited the land and equipment to play the Big Ag game these days*********************************************************************************
I wish I known you Britesea when I was much younger. Jewelry was my hobby then I cut stones and carved waxes fo be custom casted by others I would go to the gem shows to look for unusual rough, then design and cut the stones carved waxes or did wire wrap. Heck I even did a few beads. I took half of my vacation to go to Tucson [The Tucson Gem & Mineral Show is one of the largest gem and mineral shows in the world and has been held for over 50 years. The Show is only one part of the gem, mineral, fossil, and bead gathering held all around Tucson in over 45 different sites. The various shows run from late-January to mid-February with the official Show lasting two weeks in February.] I never won a top prize (one of my stones did) but honerable mention on this level is very good. With age my sight got bad and sometimes my hands would shake so I sold equipment and inventory. I was high end and rich people always have money for bling. finances were good but my body just kept going down hill. I taught for a while but most people want demostrations not instructions.`gd

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I tried cutting stones but didn't care for it much. I had fun making torchwork glass beads, but made my money with my wire wrapping. I never had the capital to go with the high end stuff; I mostly worked with sterling and gold fill. Since I was catering to middle class, and middle class are the people feeling the pinch the most, my business dried up. Here's a couple of pieces I did-

3802_topazcelticss.jpg
Topaz and sterling,
and
3802_cameobrace2.jpg
a cameo and gold fill bracelet
and a closeup
3802_cameobraceclose.jpg