Immediate Communication?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
So the other half works on the outskirts of the northern side of DC. His commute from the eastern side of Baltimore down there takes 50 minutes in the am, and 90 minutes ++ in the pm. He's at work for 10 hours daily.
We were discussing the issue of what to do if there is an issue in the capital. Its going to make it really really difficult for him to get home (a la crisis in NY 9/11) with everyone flooding out of the city.
My biggest concern is how to get in touch with him if the cell phone grid goes down. I won't have any way to get in touch with him and know that he's safe and what he is trying to do, or to communicate the status of what is happening here.
Any suggestions or ideas? Curious to know if there is some kind of a way to communicate, short of carrier pigeon or trained falcon, that would enable us to know what the other is doing and continue to work together.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't have any experience w/this, just what I've been told. But, apparently ham radios will still work if all else goes down. And I believe they have hand held ones.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I don't have any experience w/this, just what I've been told. But, apparently ham radios will still work if all else goes down. And I believe they have hand held ones.
Ditto!
As long as there is no EMP to which your set is exposed, you will be able to communicate by HAM radio. Of course right now you need a "license" to use it. In an emergency of the magnitude you are expecting (and I share that concern) you will need a pair of powerful sets with agreed communication frequencies and a contact time, etc. Just opening up a HAM radio and expecting to find him on it may not be as simple as some folks make it sound.

If the repeaters are all destroyed ( and this is a distinct possiblilty with any form of thermonuclear detonation beit high altitude such as with EMP or at/near ground level, you would have to hope you can work a HF band or have enough power to reach the distance you are expecting. Be sure to have it EMP protected in a Faraday cage at all times which can be tricky. One of the ways of doing that is with a special mylar bag but remember the metal cage has to be surrounding a non-metal cover so that the radio is not touching the metal. The radio must NOT be energized in any way (clock timers etc.) and must NOT have the antenna attached. THIS IS CRITICAL. Most people will not take the time nor devote the energy to properly protect their expensive equipment in this manner because they just don't believe this can happen so be completely sure you take all the required steps.

Make sure you buy TWO radios, NOT just one. Be certain to keep any computer or any other electronic device with printed circuits in them inside Faraday cages when not in use. Be certain that they are NOT energized (disconnect the battery) and ensure the antenna is NOT connected or employed. Once the event has occurred, you will be able to use them safely unless there is another EMP, just to get the stuff that folks wanted to protect from the first one. The enemy isn't stupid. Always assume the enemy is at least as smart as you and possibly smarter with more time on their hands to plan to hurt you. You need to be "smarter than the enemy" (The Pipe-smoking Rabbit)
Carefully plan and PRACTICE your communication skills NOW. If you don't know how to use the stuff now, trying to use it in a state of panic is frought with misery and may probably lead to failure.
As Lord Baden Powell taught all of us who became Boy Scouts "Be Prepared". He never said what to be prepared for...just to be prepared.
Hope this is useful to all
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//

hqueen13

Reaction score
So Trim, what can one expect to pay for that kind of setup? We don't have any extra funds at the moment so.... :-/
I should also add that he drives about 50 miles total each day.
His "rough" plan is that there is a guy that comes into their store purchasing things that has a horse farm about 10 miles from where he works. His general plan is to go there and get at least one horse. I told him that he needs to research greenway because it would be much easier to travel that way with the horses. The bad news is that he'll have to work his way up and around the water since he uses the tunnels or bridge to and from currently.
Not a good situation at all.
At least I have some comfort that my friend E can probably come and help me so we can be secure at least until the other half can get back to us, hopefully.
*sigh* really hope all this kind of worry is for nought.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
So Trim, what can one expect to pay for that kind of setup? We don't have any extra funds at the moment so.... :-/
I should also add that he drives about 50 miles total each day.
His "rough" plan is that there is a guy that comes into their store purchasing things that has a horse farm about 10 miles from where he works. His general plan is to go there and get at least one horse. I told him that he needs to research greenway because it would be much easier to travel that way with the horses. The bad news is that he'll have to work his way up and around the water since he uses the tunnels or bridge to and from currently.
Not a good situation at all.
At least I have some comfort that my friend E can probably come and help me so we can be secure at least until the other half can get back to us, hopefully.
*sigh* really hope all this kind of worry is for nought.
Well, unfortunately HAM radios are NOT cheap. You can expect to pay quite a bit for two of them, even if you buy them with only two bands. Look at the website for HAM Radio Outlet (HRO). That will give you better information than I can at the moment because I have'nt bought any radios for nearly 5 years. They do change somewhat but the radio I would recommend if you can ever afford it is the ICOM 706 Mk II G. It is probably the most capable radio I can think of and it is able to be installed in a vehicle as well as in the home.
Kenwood makes good radios as well. There is a large number of companies that make radios but remember, heat is the radio's WORST enemy. It really doesn't like excessive heat.
50 miles should be no problem for a SIMPLEX communication but remember there as SO MANY generators of radio wave in the atmosphere that it is hard to imagine. Our forefathers never had that much radiation bombarding their bodies. I am amazed at how much interference with everything I experience with radio, cell phones, etc.
Traveling by horse is good but he should be able to navigate by compass and map. Do not expect the GPS system to work. Be certain he has "way points" to stop and rest himself AND the horse since 50 miles is a long day for anyone. Most army's marched about 4 miles per hour during the civil war. Cavalry could move a little faster but if you have other geographical obstacles to navigate around the trip could be way longer to say nothing of the folks who might be in the way, too!
Travel at night is best, not easiest. Knowing the route ahead of time, with alternates is very important. Horse may not be the best because they are a bit hard to conceal. On foot may be a smarter move for better cover and concealment.
Trim sends
//BT//

hqueen13

Reaction score
No matter how you dice it, it would suck. :(

Thanks for the recommendations. And yes, I can't fathom just how much stuff is flying around invisible in the air communicating one thing or another to whatever (or whoever.....) is tuned in to listen....

Frankly, the easiest solution is to just get the heck out of here.
But that will take time.

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for that info Trends much appreciated.;). I work 50 miles from home one way. I carry a small emergency pack in my vehicle consisiting of 3 days food supply, water, knife, gas mask, small medical kit and a hand gun and ammo. (I have a concealed carry license. In an emergency situation I doubt anyone is going to worry about a concealed carry license, but between now and then it can be tricky).
Learn alternate routes that are out of the way, NOT major routes as these will be packed. Think about waterways. check out topographical maps and see if there are streams or rivers that go from his erea of work towards home. If so study these as they will most likely be empty. Travel at night as suggested. You can get night vision pretty cheap now a ddays. but tha will have to be protected as Terms explained. You can try hand held C.B. radio's thay are cheaper, but you will only have around a 2 mile range with them at best. I have horses and keep extras arouns I also have an old horse drawn wagon also, ( dont know how to drive that though, watch for me on Amerca's Funniest Home Video's wken I try! :D)

Hey Trends , How do we make or purchase this "Faraday cage " that you speak of? I think that would be a very helpful topic on how to protect electrical items as it sounds more and more likely that that might be the next situation we face. Would it be wise to store my generator in on of these "cages" or would that be a waste of resources? :/

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
opiemaster said:
Thanks for that info Trends much appreciated.;). I work 50 miles from home one way. I carry a small emergency pack in my vehicle consisiting of 3 days food supply, water, knife, gas mask, small medical kit and a hand gun and ammo. (I have a concealed carry license. In an emergency situation I doubt anyone is going to worry about a concealed carry license, but between now and then it can be tricky).
Learn alternate routes that are out of the way, NOT major routes as these will be packed. Think about waterways. check out topographical maps and see if there are streams or rivers that go from his erea of work towards home. If so study these as they will most likely be empty. Travel at night as suggested. You can get night vision pretty cheap now a ddays. but tha will have to be protected as Terms explained. You can try hand held C.B. radio's thay are cheaper, but you will only have around a 2 mile range with them at best. I have horses and keep extras arouns I also have an old horse drawn wagon also, ( dont know how to drive that though, watch for me on Amerca's Funniest Home Video's wken I try! :D)

Hey Trends , How do we make or purchase this "Faraday cage " that you speak of? I think that would be a very helpful topic on how to protect electrical items as it sounds more and more likely that that might be the next situation we face. Would it be wise to store my generator in on of these "cages" or would that be a waste of resources? :/
Opie, et. al.
Sounds like you are ready for the first three days...perhaps being ready for the first two years is next on your agenda! Nov 6 is NOT all that far off...

The Faraday cage is really rather simple. There are a number of ways to do it and a large number of options. The basic issue is that the item to be protected must be surrounded by metal...contiguously connected, i.e. no gaps between seams. It is NOT necessary to have solid sheet, though. If you have steel screen material such as would be used on a screen door that would work to build the cage. All you really have to do is ensure it is contiguous on all 6 sides (i.e. they are all touching).

There are a LOT of choices for things you might already have around the house. The easiest would be a galvanized trash can (be sure to have a good galvanized lid to all the surfaces are contiguous. It is important to sheild the item (radio, etc) from the metal itself with insulation which can be as simple as a card board box, but as long as you have it completely shielded from the metal, the EMP will be diffused by the metal and not absorbed by the item. (Be certain that there is NO energy in the radio (no battery, etc) and no antenna exposed; which means disconnect the antenna from the set).

Once you have the basic faraday cage, there is some controversy as to whether it must be grounded or not. For my guess, grounding would be a good process to ensure dispersion of the energy of the EMP. Some say it is IMPERATIVE, others say NOT needed. My guess is "Why take a chance by failing to protect as best you can. So go ahead and ground it. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

My suggestion is to have a box of some sort, whether it be a space in a desk or cabinet where you want to store/operate the radio. If you line that box with screen, sheet metal or even aluminum foil (and there is some controversy about the thickness of the material) and have a cover that touches all the sides of the box so that there is no gap in the seams, you can open the door, operate the radio and close the box when not in use, thus keeping it protected because "WHEN NOT IN USE" is the most likely time to have this happen if you ask me...like late at night when we are sleeping and no one is paying attention.

And remember, if they do it once, they will try several more times to be sure they ruined everything you have...so keep eveything you will want to preserve properly protected at ALL TIMES, especially after the first attack. Remember, most people will be MOST vulnerable in the middle of winter...heat will be a big problem, all communication will be damaged and you can imagine what a freezing cold 30 story apartment building will be like after a few days of NO HEAT!...Zombies on the move...and desperate ones at that!
(DIVERSION FROM TOPIC)
Let me paint a picture for you.We'l title this part "GONE WITH THE WIND"

Imagine yourself in the middle of downton Chicago or perhaps New York City, Boston, East St. Louis, Atlanta, Kansas City, Los Angeles, San Francisco or Minneapolis, after about 3 days with no heat, no hot or even running water, no grocery shops open or with nothing left in them, no cars, buses or subways running and it is cold, windy and there is snow on the ground. Now think about the ones in that situation who own guns...and their kids are cold and hungry...they are cold and hungry; the flush toilets don't work without water, the windows are getting broken because the stairs are crammed with people trying to get away to "WHO KNOWS WHERE?" O and by the way, you are in the "minority" in that scene. You are the only one who looks like you in 28 square blocks and probably don't have THAT many friends to start with. I'll bet you can begin to put that together in your own mind now! How are you going to travel undetected? Who is going to let you walk around with a bag that might have food, ammo and a gun in it? Oooops...Poor prior planning?

(OK, BACK TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAM)
Any completely contiguous metal, either screen (best to have very small holes, though) or sheet metal (can even use your metal dehydrating cabinet or a metal filing cabinet (as long as the surfaces all touch) will apparently work. Ammo boxes will do well but may need the rubber gaskets removed (which in a way defeats the purpose of the box to keep it water proof and dry.)

Items to be protected are ANY with a printed circuit. i.e. computers, all radios (two way primarily but short wave receivers may be helpful to hear from other countries that were NOT affected), and any other electronic item that does NOT depend on some other source of input. Telephones need a system that will probably be destroyed but keeping them might be helpful to make a smaller system. Clocks should be stored without batteries. Take the batteries out of EVERYTHING YOU STORE. DISCONNECT ALL ANTENNAE.

Things that won't be affected would be mechanical clocks (wind up or counter weight), radios (old ones made with tubes...but even that is to some extent controversial), Just think about this. ANYTHING your great great Grandmother had will probably NOT be affected by EMP. Anything after that time will probably need to be protected or you will have to "DO WITHOUT".

You can find lots of information on Faraday cages and EMP on the internet if you want. YouTube has plenty of articles on how to build one. One guy I saw used a metal shelving set and covered it with screening material. Everything he stored on the shelf system was protected.

Hope this is useful.

1808_images.jpeg

Trim sends
//BT//

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Another great bit of info from you ICU4dzs!.
My home is in the country I live in a very small comunity on a small lake. I have been SS since I was a kid, got alot of it from my mother. My how has G masks and suits for all, well armed and ALOT of other items put away. We will be good for alooong time, but I am concerned about the "others" I have mostly like minded neighbors, who are concerned, but unfortunatly 1 couple is just getting there family started and there funds are short, the other neighbor is 77 and they arent a problem, but..... this is my concern/picture,,

This is what ever the situation is, power goes down, EMP, solar flare, you name it, civil unrest. As you stated, the first couple days are hectic as people are now coming to the realise that the stores are empty, the pumps dont work and all hell is breaking lose. I am 50 miles S. of Kansas City. I know that we will start to be seeing outsiders coming through after about 4-5 days, but what about the lowlife locals, (yes every small town has them). I dont just mean the ones who would rather smoke a bowl than do something meaningful with there lifes,(like my loving sister in -law and her hubby) im talking the welfare cases, the ones who look fine to everyone else but for some reason they are getting there monthly dissability check's and sittin around drawing off of everyone else. I have a few of these kinds here, seem like good people, just lazy. They are the first ones that need to be watched, if you thell them / or they see you have stuff that still works they will want to use it and same with your food rations, they will be the first at your door for food. And if you do help them or dont help them, when the mobs come, and they will come, these people will lead them to you,, for what you have... I know my loser sister in law will show up with her hubby and sons, I will take the boys (3 and 6), but I am not sure how I will handle these people coming to me.. I have an idea, but its not a pleasant one.. We have property at he lake, 5 acres against core lsand all heavy timber, but I am afraid that everyone is thinking that idea.

I know its a little off topic, but Thats kinda where Im at right know.

Thanks again for the faraday advice, That is my next project to put together.
Can batteries be stored by themselves in these or will that not work? :rolleyes: