Immunity, strep, staph and being a carrier for life.....

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Five years ago I nearly died after I got a strep/staph infection in my back surgical site. They debrided me and put me a couple months of IV antibiotics but it was touch and go for quite awhile.
Now I have this surgery on my stomach. One of the first things I ask the doctor is if it's possible to just carry this stuff around and will I get a strep and/or staph infection again. No, just not possible.
You guessed it. I had my surgery on December 21st and I have been in and out of the hospital ever since. Yesterday they discovered some very, very healthy staph cultures so once again I'm going on the antibiotics.
So is it possible to just carry this stuff around with you? I mean I know everyone has them all the time but they don't get sick unless immunity is low. I also know that I was taking my vitamin D faithfully right up until the day of my surgery. Is there something else I should be doing to boost immunity or kill off staph?
I'm very sick, very depressed and so tired of this crap.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
Five years ago I nearly died after I got a strep/staph infection in my back surgical site. They debrided me and put me a couple months of IV antibiotics but it was touch and go for quite awhile.
Now I have this surgery on my stomach. One of the first things I ask the doctor is if it's possible to just carry this stuff around and will I get a strep and/or staph infection again. No, just not possible.
You guessed it. I had my surgery on December 21st and I have been in and out of the hospital ever since. Yesterday they discovered some very, very healthy staph cultures so once again I'm going on the antibiotics.
So is it possible to just carry this stuff around with you? I mean I know everyone has them all the time but they don't get sick unless immunity is low. I also know that I was taking my vitamin D faithfully right up until the day of my surgery. Is there something else I should be doing to boost immunity or kill off staph?
I'm very sick, very depressed and so tired of this crap.
So sorry that you are miserable and sick of being miserable!
I'm no authority, but spent most of my pre-adult life with staph/strep infections seemingly non stop. Missed a lot of school. Drank a lot of milk and got sunshine, so my D levels couldn't have been that low. I do think it is retained. In my case, once the tonsils and adenoids came out I have been healthy, no further strep, etc.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that you have it somewhere. It seems like a long course of antibiotics might eliminate it. I think Dr. Mirkin thinks along these lines.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No advice, but I do know this. My best friend's dad has had multiple surgeries since he was 28 & broke his back. Shoulder, back, neck, leg, stomach and more.

He got a staph infection from the wound when his back was shattered (A car fell on him while he was working, almost killed him) Each surgery since, if he did not have preemptive antibiotics, he developed staph in the wound site and, like you, required much more care.

I think it is highly likely that you can carry it around without even realizing it, and that it doesn't present unless your system gets compromised or stressed. Surgery, even a necessary one, would totally stress your body.

I'm sorry to hear you are having so many issues. I hope you heal quickly. :hugs

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I don't know about strep/staph stuff, but I want to pop in here and send you some hugs :hugs and say that I'm praying for you to have a swift recovery, and may all this staph/strep go away, heal up, and never return.

:hugs :hugs

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just want to give a word of encouragement if I may. I know a little bit about what you're going through, as I've had some major surgeries myself. It gets wearisome being in the hospital and having to focus on body health instead of being out and about doing as you wish.
When I talked to my very excellent and pragmatic doctor about how to stay healthy, I told him I was taking a multi-vitamin/mineral, plus additional B, C, E and calcium. He said, "Hmmm, add zinc for healing."
It's been five years since my last (and hopefully last ever!) surgery. I feel strong and vital. If I can get to here from where I was, I know you can too. Best wishes to you!

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm off to hospital again to get a new PIC line and antibiotics.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I had a friend who kept getting strep. Turned out his wife was a carrier and so was one of his kids. They never showed a single symptom...only HE got sick. For the longest time they thought it was because he was working part time as a bus driver. But when summer came along, he was no longer driving and he was STILL getting sick, the doctor tested the whole family. They all had to go on antibiotics.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used to work in a pediatric office. My doctor would routinely check the whole family for strep if one of his patients kept having a recurrence. Sometimes, as Wifezilla said, there is a carrier in the family showing no symptoms. Once it turned out to be the dog! When no one else came back positive the doc. told them to bring the dog to the back door of the office, and he cultured it. (I loved my doctor! He was an old-fashioned, common sense kind of doctor).
Sorry you are going through this; I'm a little surprised that your doctor didn't recommend prophylactic antibiotics before the surgery, given your history.