Immunity, strep, staph and being a carrier for life.....

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
Five years ago I nearly died after I got a strep/staph infection in my back surgical site. They debrided me and put me a couple months of IV antibiotics but it was touch and go for quite awhile.
Now I have this surgery on my stomach. One of the first things I ask the doctor is if it's possible to just carry this stuff around and will I get a strep and/or staph infection again. No, just not possible.
You guessed it. I had my surgery on December 21st and I have been in and out of the hospital ever since. Yesterday they discovered some very, very healthy staph cultures so once again I'm going on the antibiotics.
So is it possible to just carry this stuff around with you? I mean I know everyone has them all the time but they don't get sick unless immunity is low. I also know that I was taking my vitamin D faithfully right up until the day of my surgery. Is there something else I should be doing to boost immunity or kill off staph?
I'm very sick, very depressed and so tired of this crap.
Some varieties of staph are very hard to get 100 % DEAD. If you kill 98%, the other two are the strongest and multiply. They will also be resistant to the drug that killed the 98%.

I knew a guy that had MRSA after having surgery for a crushed foot. He went through a few rounds of the antibiotics but got better when he combined therapies. He used the antibiotics and used honey as a wound dressing. You can also look up info on Oregano oil and tea tree oil.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi Farmerlor,

So sorry to hear that you are going though this. I know exactly what you are going through as I have cared for many many patients in your position, I have seen many survive and seen many others not do well at all.

Consequently I have researched this issue to the inth degree and started to focus on alternative treatments, of which there are several which do cure people of resistant infections and in your case most specifically MRSA.

You do not have to be plagued by active infections repeatedly through your life. You must learn to build your immune system and treat with substances other than antibiotics. You may remain a carrier for life but if your immune system is strong it should not bother you. Handwashing in the home is essential and using a good overall disinfectant for surfaces. I have seen this spread through families.

It is antibiotics in the first place that got you exactly where you are now, and those poor doctors just can't seem to think of any other treatment, not only that, pharmaceutical companies work diligently to discredit alternative treatment. Many people think alternatives are just fine unless you get severely sick then you must go to the doctor and take the drugs.

I strongly disagree with this type of thinking. This is just not proving to be true.

Although I understand that you would likely not wish to stop taking antibiotics at this time and there is a chance that it will get rid of your surgical wound infection I can recommend other things to do along with the drugs if you choose not to stop.

Always remember that taking an antibiotic will set you up for resistant infections, MRSA being only one, the most commonly talked about, but you are also at risk for developing other resistant infections to go along with your MRSA, including staph that is resistant to the antibiotic you are currently on. Of course the doctors are not going to be filling your head with such fears. They just take their chances and expect you to do the same without ever discussing the possibilities. Other life threatening infections that can develop from taking these big gun antibiotics are systemic and resistant fungal infections and c difificile gut infection, which is also contageous and incurable in a percentage of cases and found in most hospitals and in now spreading through the community within families and friends.
http://www.amm.co.uk/files/factsabout/fa_cdiff.htm

I am providing links for you to alternative MRSA treatments. First thing I would start doing right away is coating your surgical wound with honey. Now they say Manuka honey is the best but I have heard that any pure unprocessed honey will do but not likely you can find in a supermarket.. You can easily order manuka honey. Get ready for your nurse and doctor to flip out.

If it were me I would start taking allimed, a specially prepared allicin product made from garlic. You can find out all about this on this link.
http://www.healthsalon.org/375/mrsa-alternative-treatment-with-allicin-testimonial/

The Blog www.healthsalon.org offers other articles on alternative treatment for MRSA and which treatment is selected will be determined by ones access to the therapy and the nature of the MRSA infection itself. If you search the healthsalon blog you will find them. Allimed seems the most practical for your type of case.

After your treatment is complete you should look into taking a product like Transfer Factor or Immu-911 to keep your immune system strong. Learn how to make pickled raw garlic and take it daily. You should also take a B100 supplement during your antibiotic treatment as these drugs kill the normal gut flora that produce many B vitamins. Have your doctor immediately check your Vitamin D3 levels and supplement.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
farmerlor said:
Five years ago I nearly died after I got a strep/staph infection in my back surgical site. They debrided me and put me a couple months of IV antibiotics but it was touch and go for quite awhile.
Now I have this surgery on my stomach. One of the first things I ask the doctor is if it's possible to just carry this stuff around and will I get a strep and/or staph infection again. No, just not possible.
You guessed it. I had my surgery on December 21st and I have been in and out of the hospital ever since. Yesterday they discovered some very, very healthy staph cultures so once again I'm going on the antibiotics.
So is it possible to just carry this stuff around with you? I mean I know everyone has them all the time but they don't get sick unless immunity is low. I also know that I was taking my vitamin D faithfully right up until the day of my surgery. Is there something else I should be doing to boost immunity or kill off staph?
I'm very sick, very depressed and so tired of this crap.
Some varieties of staph are very hard to get 100 % DEAD. If you kill 98%, the other two are the strongest and multiply. They will also be resistant to the drug that killed the 98%.

I knew a guy that had MRSA after having surgery for a crushed foot. He went through a few rounds of the antibiotics but got better when he combined therapies. He used the antibiotics and used honey as a wound dressing. You can also look up info on Oregano oil and tea tree oil.
Ah, tea tree oil is one of the things we never run out of. I'd actually put honey the wounds left by my first two drains that were pulled but for some stupid reason it never occurred to me to put honey on the remaining drain site or the PIC line. Thanks.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mackay said:
Hi Farmerlor,

So sorry to hear that you are going though this. I know exactly what you are going through as I have cared for many many patients in your position, I have seen many survive and seen many others not do well at all.

The Blog www.healthsalon.org offers other articles on alternative treatment for MRSA and which treatment is selected will be determined by ones access to the therapy and the nature of the MRSA infection itself. If you search the healthsalon blog you will find them. Allimed seems the most practical for your type of case.

After your treatment is complete you should look into taking a product like Transfer Factor or Immu-911 to keep your immune system strong. Learn how to make pickled raw garlic and take it daily. You should also take a B100 supplement during your antibiotic treatment as these drugs kill the normal gut flora that produce many B vitamins. Have your doctor immediately check your Vitamin D3 levels and supplement.
Hey, thanks for all the good advice and links. I'll start looking them over in the morning. Today they put in a central line and of course it took all day so I'm pretty sore.
Thanks for everything everyone.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Back before antibiotics honey and garlic were both used effectively for infection control. The Civil War medics used both a lot. Just because we now have something "better" (antibiotics) does not mean that these other treatments are no longer effective. And neither should interfere with antibiotic therapy, but might well help it along.