1) it stays hot 24/7
2) you add fresh bone once a week ish
3) 1/3 to 2/3 of the broth is removed daily and its refilled with water
4) veggies float and most are scooped out, new veggies added every few days
Should add it has ACV to acidify to get minerals out of the bone. 👍

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Truly, do you think you would be here today if this was dangerous? Your ancestors would have died out long since! This is what pretty much EVERYONE did, back in the day. You kept the fire going all the time, because it's too much trouble to start a fire every time you want a cup of tea or something; and without refrigeration, this would be the safest way to keep food.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i don't like mushy vegetables and the idea of running a stove all day for that much time doesn't appeal to me at all as it would be too much of a waste of energy. making soup and freezing it in portions would work much better for us (keeping the freezer full is also better in terms of energy use).

in the old days having animals use the bones (pigs and/or dogs) or having a bone grinder to turn it into garden plant food makes a lot more sense to me.

we don't normally have much bone in what we buy for meat, but the few we do get i end up putting in the worm bins and the worms get to pick at them for some time before the worm buckets get taken out to the gardens to be used for fertilizer. i'll find those bones in the gardens for years as they gradually get broken down. i'm surprised that the raccoons or other creatures ignore them.