In your opinion - chicken feed

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm sure there are people out there who wish they COULD feed their boss to their animals.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
LOL -- I've certainly had bosses I'd like to throw to a flock of hungry chickens. Maybe hungry geese, that'd be even better.

Pat

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
In the winter my chickens get to run amuck in the field. they get a scoop of laying pellets in the mornigs in a feeder and a scoop of assorted grains and seeds in the evening. They get whatever scraps or old bread etc that we have available also. Sometimes I make them a fancy meal using their eggs and assorted stuff in the fridge. I usually add some herbal wormer to this.
The grains are whatever my budget allows, but not cracked corn. My chickens will not eat storebought corn, not even the organic stuff. I grow and dry as much as I can. They love the dried sweet corn and popcorn. They also love broomcorn and millet that we also grow.
In the summer they get locked up in the chicken yard and I supplement with lots of greens from the garden, especially weeds and we feed more pellets.
I don't worry too much about calcium, since we toss all the eggsells in the compost and the chickens have access to that. Over the years many oystershells have been tossed into the garden, as well as abalone shells and bones.
On the rare occasion that I end up with thin shelled eggs, I make a point of tracking down some oystershells in the yard and crush them for the chickens. This usually only happens in the summer, when the chickens are confined to the chickenyard.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Fermented and/or sprouted whole grains. No concerns about recalls or contaminates here, and cheaper, too.
Which grains do you sprout and how do you do it in large enough quantities to feed them?