Incubator

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Most of us do eat our chickens. When they quit laying, they then feed us. Lest you think me some sort of a barbarian, I say a prayer over each chicken, thanking God for the chicken and thanking the chicken for giving up her/his life that we might eat. I kill it quickly and humanely in a cone and don't let it flop around.

I do not run an old folks home for chickens. My feed bill is high enough than to carry an animal that doesn't contribute. For those that do want to keep a bunch of old chickens for pets, I am happy for them and their chickens.

My 2 year old grand daughter loves MEAN Rooster Soup!

Hear, hear! Well said! I don't consider it barbaric to kill a chicken and eat it. Whenever and wherever meat is eaten in this world, someone has killed it for those people and they aren't barbarians for doing so. Just doing a job no one else wants to do.

I consider it honest to be a chicken eater who also kills their own chickens for food....if you eat such things, it's only natural that you also kill such things.

Bay, I got a 3 yr old GD who also loves "hot soup" made from the chickens here. Was begging me to kill a chicken the other day so she could "take the stuffings out of it". :D

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I don't eat my own chickens, or any chicken meat, haven't for about 9 years now. But I am considering starting again, because it makes sense to. It's meat (food) and it's a nice versatile meat too. I'll find it hard to eat my own flock members, but at least knowing how they were raised and treated will be nice.

Back to the ostriches. They can be aggressive and can kick the heck out of you if they have a mind to. Especially during breeding season, when they have a nest of eggs, or chicks. Apart from that they are lovely, curious birds. They love pecking at and eating things, so watch jewellery, watches, etc when you go near them. Their meat is really nice, but I can't tell you more than that. We never raised any ourselves, we bought the meat off the abattoir or local butchery.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm a die hard Brinsea fan. Had the same model as Hinotori and I LOVED it. You plug it in, check the temperature is correct, fill the trays with enough water to get the correct humidity and if you have the automatic turner with it, walk away and leave it. All I had to do was check the humidity now and then and top up the water as needed. (You can now get a model with a humidity pump that takes care of that for you as well) I hatched some duck eggs in mine for a friend and got a 100% hatch, though I have never hatched anything except chicken eggs before and got so much conflicting information about the required humidity I was flying blind.

They are a bit pricey, but well worth the money spent.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have a Hovabator and bought an egg turner as well. Works great. Have used it for turkeys, chickens and ducks. Side note- expect not so great hatch rates, turkeys are notoriously difficult to hatch in incubators. They're difficult birds.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Was wondering if you could give your turkey eggs to your hens to brood and raise? Every tried that? I think Farmfresh does that with great success...she used to be a member here and visits my forum now and again. She also hatches out peacock eggs under her broodies and sells the peachicks for a goodly sum.

Here's her YT channel link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSszsnCNuz0fFUinYBLX4Yg

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would eat ostrich, why not? My friend's dad got a couple emu to raise once. They escaped, were never seen again. I wonder if there are stray emus running around the woods still ...