indian Corn

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry you are not real happy with it. It does look like China crap in your photos.
I liked the side eject of the finished cob also.
The one we bought is red and came pre-assembled. It is imported also, but the quality seems much better than yours. It is a little rough, but not nearly as rough as yours looks. They are sold out though, so maybe the next batch they get will be more like yours, who knows. The flywheel on ours was put on the shaft a little crooked, but otherwise seems to be well made.
If it is throwing corn all over, then I am glad that ours is made to be installed on a board and they recommended that we make a wooden frame to sit in a plastic bin to catch the corn as it flies all over.

My corn is still drying, how do I know when it is dry enough to shuck and store?

Thanks for the reply...

If yours is the same model, It sounds like the seller may have assembled yours and fixed some of the fit and finish issues, the sold it for an up charge. Which is pretty common for sellers to do. Buy a couple hundred for a greatly reduced price then "make them right" and sell for an up charge. My experience with buying made in China is usually bad and this item is no exception to the rule for sure.

As for the catcher your idea of a box is a good one :)

When the kernels are shrunken and move easily on the cob with your finger (like a loose tooth) they should be dry enough to run though this Sheller. You don't want the machine's teeth to shread the kernles, just remove them from the cob is all. You may have to play around with the adjustment wing nut to get it adjusted correctly to the size of your cobs.

I also purchased a hand grinder and I'll write a review of it also. After I receive it and use it. Hopefully it's fit and finish is better than the Sheller. It's supposed to be all aluminum so fingers crossed.
Screenshot_2018-11-14-13-57-14.png

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You did hold out the Purple and Pink ear for seed corn, right? :D
Your corn is so pretty, mine is all just blue.

Good luck with the grinding and corn bread!

Yep...I saved 5 ears to plant next year. I won't use the Sheller on these. I'll shell by hand so I don't damage the kernels.
IMG_20181116_132448800_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Red, purple & pink seeds ready for next year. Interesting the color of the cobs. I only got one purple and pink cob, so I'm going to plant the seeds from it first. I had to fight off ladies in order to save that ear for seeds. Every lady who seen that ear wanted it :lol
IMG_20181117_141444.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I need a recipe for cornbread - please
I'll have to knit my brow.....and think on that.....I just sling it together. My daughter actually watched me make cornbread one time and wrote it with magic marker on the side of the refrigerator. LOL LOL

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup (or more) sweet milk

Combine ingredients, if too thick, add a little more milk

Heat iron skillet with 1/4 cup oil or bacon grease in it. when hot, pour excess hot fat in cornbread mix, stir in. Pour cornbread mix in hot skillet, bake at 350 for 25-35 minutes.

If you use buttermilk, then use baking soda instead of baking powder. You can use half cup buttermilk, maybe a little more, plus a 8 ounce container of sour cream. It's darn good.

Cornbread supper. Make batch and a half of cornbread. Brown a pound of pan sausage. Chop onion, grate cheese, toss in jalapenos. Heat deep iron skillet as above, stir in hot fat in cornbread. Pour a little bit in skillet, just enough to cover the bottom. Add sausage, onion, jalapenos, cheese. Cover with remaining batter, bake at 350 for 45 minutes to 1 hour. :drool

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Grind for cornmeal. It's good. I'm planting some this year.

That's expensive seed to buy -- compared to some. I love the look and yes, it SELLS at market for decorations.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Looks like some corn to grow and store for long term storage. That'll make pretty cornbread!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I guess I didn't get an alert with your replies...

@frustratedearthmother
I still have this corn on the cob. Please send a "conversation" so I know where to send you some.

@sumi
I could take some off the cob and send to you in a padded envelope, it can't be all that expensive... I'll check the price to ireland.

I'm still unsure if it's dent or flint type. If you look closely yhere is a dent on the top of the kernels.
IMG_20180706_241525415.jpg

We planted 6 - 50' rows 3' apart and two kernels about every 8". Much to my surprise we had two plants pop up every 8" so the fertility is very high. This corn gets pretty tall like about 8' tall. It doesn't fall over during high winds but it will break off low to the ground. This happened to my buddy up the road during last week's wind storm. He came and asked me if I planted any I said yes, he said good because the wind broke all of his off. He said he was going to replant it with hopes it will make before frost.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Crack a kernel open. If it has a white soft top on the inside, it is dent corn. If it is hard kernel all the way then it is flint corn. Popcorn is flint corn. If corn is mostly the soft white inside, it is a flour corn.