Indoor Herbs?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
LRC - hen and biddies, hen and chicks, same thing, really. :)

Thanks everybody for the thoughs. I'm nervous about this because I only keep plants semi-well. Pathos, I can manage that... and spider plants, I do ok with those...
Killed the first parsley plant though :-/
Wish I had a place to put BIG pots indoors, then maybe I could grow herbs inside. Oh well, maybe someday.
Never thought of starting them in the pot and then transplanting them outside. I'll have to give that a try and see what happens.

Any recommendations on what combo would be "happy" together? i.e. have the most similar growing conditions?

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Basil (any of the kinds) tend to do well with chervil, cilantro, parsley, French tarragon, marigolds and borage
they like to be kept damp but not soaking.

Sage tends to do well with lavender rosemary and bay, they are "shrubby" and like to go almost completly dry between waterings.

for thyme go with oregano and majormam...like the sage group they like to almost completly dry out between waterings, but they root quite shallowly so need to be watered a little more frequently than sag and such...they would probably do well in a shallow planter...

and chives will pretty much grow with anything.

mints and "balms" (lemon balm) tend to grow in just about any condition but dont tend to do well in smaller pots as they grow fast and will tend to choke other plants out pretty quickly.

i think given its a small pot mabe pick a couple of different basil types and mabe parsely and then "jazz it up" with some edible marigolds :)

hqueen13

Reaction score
Yay, thanks pink!
I hope the pot is big enough... Its not little by any stretch, but the plants would be sharing the space.
Course once I grow it, I've got to use it....

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
as long as you keep useing them (pinch from the top to keep them from getting leggy :D)
if they start to get too big or seem to be looking a little pot bound you can also practice some bonsai methods.
gently removing the plant, gantly rinsing the roots off and trimming the smaller thin roots or anything that looks realy clustered to give the main stong roots alot more room.

ive never bonsaied tender herbs like basil, but it works realy well with rosemary and the likes (you can go full bonsai on rosemary and train it and everything lol

hqueen13

Reaction score
I saw rosemary "christmas trees", Pink, and I liked the way they looked. Don't know if I am that skilled or not, LOL.
I suppose I should learn something sooner or later!!

zita

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
New here. I have grown Rosemary in the house for years. Last year turned out the best, I have a small bush inside of about 3 feet in size, Happy and healthy. I dug it up from the garden added potting soil and don't let it dry out. I water when it is dry 1 knuckle down. I also have sage brought in from the garden, I trimmed it hard and just trimmed it hard again, so far so good. Much slower growing than the rosemary. I have parsley again I have grown it this way for years. I grow several plants in a pot on the deck in the summer and simply bring it in. It is a biannual meaning the second summer it will set seed no matter what you do. Let it seed new seedlings and bring the pot in again in the fall. Keep it trimmed in the winter with as much as you wish to use,water before it wilts but not as ofter as the rosemary. It is more forgiving that way and comes back from the roots if you let it get a bit dry. Not as attractive that way but still viable. Basil, oregano,thyme, marjoram I have killed every time, maybe with kindness, sigh.
I have chocolate mint in the house this year and it is doing ok, not bushy a I would like it to be but alive. I also bring impatients in every year they bloom till Jan or so then I cut them back hard and put them out again in the Spring. I over winter peppers and it seems to give them a huge head start in the spring. Hope this helps some.:D

hqueen13

Reaction score
Thanks, Zita! It does help a bit!
I probably should just start with one thing and concentrate on getting that good and then add from there...

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Zita, do you have lights for the plants, or a bright window? Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are doing the right things with your herbs!

equinecpa

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
LittleRoosterCroft said:
I am starting my seeds for herbs this week. I have a hen and chicks pot (I think that is what it is) and I am setting up my aquaponics system.

So, no answer or advice for you but I'll be doing it with you!
Not to derail this thread...but what kind of aquaponics system?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Zita :welcome and thanks for that post!!! I am going to try to overwinter peppers this year as well. How do you do that? Any specifics? I tried a jalapeno, but it seems to have bit the proverbial bullet on me :/ DH loves peppers SO much though, and I want to try to keep them going for several years for him. :) TIA for any help or suggestions :D