Indoor Herbs?

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
zita, mints tend to get tall and lanky pinch back hard from the tops rather than taking side leaves to encorage it to grow out/bushy rather than tall. youll never keep mint of any kind truly "bushy" but taking form the top will help :)

zita

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry Life has been crazy lately. Regarding peppers,I've done this two different ways during the last two years. I have planted them in pots and left some in those pots during the summer. This did over winter them well and I then planted them in the ground. Much faster harvest. First year in the pot not so much. The second time, this works really well if you have a large enough pot to not disturb the roots too much, I lifted the most valued peppers and potted them up with extra fill soil, I just left the garden soil in place. I do have a large porch with a couple of sky lights. I love the sunlight so when we closed it off I insisted on two skylights. East facing windows in northern Illinois. Currently I have one of the peppers a large paprika in isolation, I was given some poinsetta's and they brought in white flies. They are nearly in control now. The pepper really kind of goes dorment till March or April and I will plant them out after danger of frost is past. I also have two peppers a friend planted from seeds she got in Puerto Rico. I really think with good care and pruning they can live indefinately.

Thanks for the advice on the mint. The leaves are still small but it is starting to fill out. I heavily trimmed the sage a couple of weeks ago and made soup Now the plant is filling out too. The Rosemary is really full like a small bush. The parsley is the easiest to do. But only last through the winter and I let it go to seed and replant itself during the following summer, really no real work.

Next I will try the basil. I'm also experimenting with kale so far pretty rough looking maybe daylight is too short.

Nice chatting with you all Zita:)