Inexpensive homemade hair conditioner or styling gel?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea for inexpensive hair conditioner?

I have dry curly hair and condition it daily when I wet it to get the curls to hang right.

I have seen some shampoo and hair conditioning recipes, but the ingredients were very expensive, I might as well buy it at the store and continue using my favorite brands which work well.

I'd just like to make my own, cheaper, and get the same results.

Also, hair styling products? I use a little gel....what is that stuff, anyway? The ingredients on the side of the bottle look like something from a science lab.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Also, hair styling products?
The celts used lyme :D

I know a lady who makes spritzers that are great de-static and de-tangle. FoxRyde Gardens . Go to bath and body for the spritzers :) The store isn't up on the site right now but her email is listed.

The entire SCA in our parts use her health section LOL. Weekend Warrior is wonnerful stuffs!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I shall try this!!! My hair isn't curly but it's super long and so I try to avoid doing ANYTHING to it LOL. It's pretty healthy but I'll see what happens if I don't shampoo mine and just do a really good rinse and then condition!!

In Colorado, no bypassing conditioner.

Right now I wash it once a week. So I'll just condition weekly instead. *bounces* I wonder what it will do! :)

No OTHER primate requires soap to stay clean.

ETA: what are the best conditioners? jojoba and coconut oils?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been using coconut oil on my long, would-be-curly-if-it-were-short hair. I smooth some in the night before I plan to wash it, and let it do its thing overnight. The hair feels sort of funny while it is still wet, after washing, but is nice once dry. (NB - I just use the coconut oil on the hanging down part of the hair; I keep it off the top of my head, and the scalp). I do use shampoo, though a year or so ago I experimented with using baking soda, and actually quite liked the result. I just got out of the habit, and really should start again. When I was using the baking soda I rinsed with ACV. My bangs are a little flyaway when newly washed, so lately I have been smearing a tiny bit of coconut oil on my fingertips, and running them through the bangs - adds just enough weight to keep things neat, without making my hair look or feel greasy (I think I picked up that idea from something Blackbird wrote here once :D - If you're reading BB, thanks!)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Excellent!! I don't have bangs, so no issue there. I like the idea of doing it the night before. The day before I do a full shower, I take a soak in hot water with grapeseed oil anyway. No big deal to goop up my hair. I let my skin absorb all night before I wash the next day.

Baking soda and acv for when my hair needs a bit extra something. I can deal with this! Hoorah.

More experiments.

I'm pretty sure my not showering every day is part of why my skin is so healthy LOL.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well I have gone to washing my hair once a week but I need to wet it daily to style it. The curls hang together if so, if not, they turn into frizz and I look like a serious WITCH. Ready for halloween and everything.

I wonder how coconut oil would feel on my hair, it is really really fine and thin. I mean REALLY fine. I can't even grow a pony tail, it just breaks.

I don't think coconut oil is going to work like styling gel for me. Oily styling products just straighten my hair out and then it looks really geeky. However, I think it might work well for me as a conditioner, thanks.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Well I have gone to washing my hair once a week but I need to wet it daily to style it. The curls hang together if so, if not, they turn into frizz and I look like a serious WITCH. Ready for halloween and everything.

I wonder how coconut oil would feel on my hair, it is really really fine and thin. I mean REALLY fine. I can't even grow a pony tail, it just breaks.

I don't think coconut oil is going to work like styling gel for me. Oily styling products just straighten my hair out and then it looks really geeky. However, I think it might work well for me as a conditioner, thanks.
Hair strength may improve if a different soap is used to wash. Sulfate free, like Curly girl talks about.
It just takes time.

Biggest thing I saw that improved my hair, was making sure I was eating only real food, and only good fats. No more processed vege oils.
That, and getting my adrenals and thyroid healthier.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I've been coloring my hair too, which makes it drier.

This last time I tried to dye it to my natural shade, which is darker than people are used to seeing me, kind of a medium brown. I'm seeing what it looks like with the gray growing out. So far, not so bad, but not so great either.