Inexpensive homemade hair conditioner or styling gel?

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I started using the curly girl method too. I love it. I started last summer and people have actually been complimenting me on my hair. (I've always had crazy hair)

Do you have an aloe plant? Aloe makes a good hair gel. Coconut oil works good for me. As long as I'm careful not to use to much.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I've been coloring my hair too, which makes it drier.

This last time I tried to dye it to my natural shade, which is darker than people are used to seeing me, kind of a medium brown. I'm seeing what it looks like with the gray growing out. So far, not so bad, but not so great either.
Have you thought about using a good Henna?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Over gray?
Yes!
I used to use henna on occasion, and it fully covered the grey hairs that started showing up in my 20s.
You just have to buy real high quality henna.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would love to be able to use henna again. My natural (youthful) hair color was accentuated and made brighter, but not really changed, with a henna rinse. It made my hair feel great, too. But the last time I used henna the gray that is inexorably making its way into my hair was turned to a not at all nice yellow shade. I like the red gold I used to have, and have no desire to change it, but nature is changing it for me, and henna doesn't react well with the changes. I know there are different kinds/strengths of henna, but have never really studied the differences; and I don't really mind going gray - I just hate looking dingy :rolleyes:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I had good results with henna long ago when my hair did not need to be colored.

Where do you find henna? beauty supply?

Ceilismom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You can make hair gel from flax seeds. I don't have enough posts to post a link, but try googling no fail flax seed gel.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Bub B, I read that curly girl site, very interesting. The most interesting part is that I do 80 percent of those things already! How weird. I have much shorter hair though so I don't need to blow it dry, it is dry in a few minutes.

I do wash mine but only once in awhile. I think perhaps I should just stop. Lately I have only washed my hair when I've gotten something in it, like chicken poo or whatever, duck pond water, etc. I don't think dabbing on a little conditioner is going to cut it for me. I also have an implant for my hearing aide which has to be washed daily which is on the side of my head.

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the native americans used bear grease to style their hair... not feasible anymore just thought i'd throw it out there.
wish i could help but i don't really do my hair.
i've heard a lot about washing your hair with vineger and i'm gonna start trying that out. and moist foods like cucumbers and avacodoes can moisturize your hair and your skin. never done it but i'm sure if you put the food in the blender and made a "shake" and poured it in your hair over a bucket and rinsed it out in the shower that would work.
my hair is pretty greasy but i'll see if i can find some tips.