Inflation Worry?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@baymule you were right about the author's optimism. Interesting viewpoint. I tend to be cautiously optimistic - plan for the worst, hope for the best.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Frugalwoods, a FIRE blogger that is more rural-SS than Mr Money Mustache, also wrote about inflation. Her approach is much more practical. Without excess optimism, she explains how to dodge the worst effects of inflation and maybe benefit from it.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Reviving an old thread for discussion purposes.

I'm shocked at food prices even more. I dropped by Safeway on Friday nite (usually go on Tuesday's to get the various digital deals that are expiring) to only buy a carton of egg nog for hubs. I wandered up and down some of the isles, which I never do on Tuesdays. I'm on a mission for only sale items on Tuesday mornings.

Holey Cow! I was shocked and depressed at the same time! The prices on some of the items that I thankfully have in my deep pantry, were abhorrent! From raisins to boxes of cake mix to generic oatmeal.

I'm getting almost $100 raise in my SS while hubs is getting almost $30. That of course, is before taxes. That extra money won't stretch far at all! Now that we have an extra mouth to feed here (son), its even tougher! (yes, I've asked son to pitch in once in a while).

I'm glad I scour estate sales!! On Friday, I got a 4 lb bag of sugar for $1. An oval Tupperware with red lid almost filled with salt, and buried down in the salt was a Sterling silver small spoon. Again, one buck. At another estate sale in a horrible, fall down house, that was gross all the way around, I spent a whopping $1, on a full large container of liquid Cascade dw detergent. I'm thankful that I the room down in the garage and shop to store this stuff.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
a lot of things are now lower priced than they were for a while so that is helping ease off inflationary pressures. eggs, butter, gas, and propane are the main things i've noticed doing better but i'm sure there are other things too.

if it were just up to me i could get by for a lot less on groceries and other things, but Mom really doesn't care too much and will just buy what she wants when she sees it. i'm happy with ground chuck for most things we might cook with meat in them and she will get steaks. to me a splurge item would be a chuck roast for her it's a ribeye.

the past few weeks she decided to stop buying margarine for baking because it has so much water added to it now that her recipes are not working out. butter is at least more regulated. she also said she wasn't going to be baking so much any more but you could never tell that from what she's been doing the past few weeks.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I remember you saying that. Old habits are hard to break sometimes.

she just took some stuff out of the freezer to make room for more stuff to go into the freezer, but that means yet more cooking... lol

now she says she's making more frosting for graham crackers. i said we don't need it but then she says, "It's not going to rot." which is true. :) :) :) it also won't rot if it ends up spread out around my tummy and on my fat ass... oh well. going to have to engage restraint even more for the next few weeks (speaking of inflation i've bounced up a few lbs this past month and that's not the right direction).

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Holey Cow! I was shocked and depressed at the same time! The prices on some of the items that I thankfully have in my deep pantry, were abhorrent! From raisins to boxes of cake mix to generic oatmeal.

Almost a bad dream and you can't wake up! 😳😖
It's really scary because it's not stopping. I install price strips in store resets. Some things go up $1-2 per item.....add the shrinkflation, too. :he

Don't have hardly any estate sales my area. But I sale buy for exceptional deals. Grow/raise most foods and it helps that there's just me to feed. 👍 But my usual stash is enough for a year or more.

Almost nothing is wasted, even damaged crops are animal consumed. Really, beyond flour, sugar, salt, etc., I could provide totally for my foods on farm, if needed. Flour, I could grow the wheat & grind, just don't. But I've always said my garden, chickens, a couple goats -- I'm pretty well covered. It's work but, I like knowing my food is available, wholesome, chem free.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it is not just inflation and shrinkflation that is making things tough it is also the adulterated foods that are being shipped around as genuine when they're not even close to what they say they are.

i'm really glad we grow our own tomatoes.