ink marks on an expensive doll

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
You really need to post a picture of that refurbish job though. I have never tried that and would love to see the outcome. I have a 3 year old granddaughter living with me now and I think I may need that insturctional video in the future so please pass along that knowledge. Yes, older is better when dealing with a child like my granddaughter who sounds alot like your daughter.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wish we could figure out what it is that gives some children that destructive streak. The streak that makes them ink their dolls, break the bar of soap, tear up the creations of their siblings, kick the cat, take apart their toys, etc. It is beyond curiosity, and beyond clumsiness. I have worked with children like this professionally, so I don't know what they grew up to be. One of my grand daughters is like this. I'm sure some of us had kids like this--can you relate how they grew up? How they handle stress now? Are they trouble makers now? Sorry if I hijacked this thread, but somehow it relates...

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Actually I try to see 10 years into the future all the time. She has a good heart. When its her down time and she is ready to relax, she will sit on me, watch tv or come near me in bed and listen quietly to me reading, until she goes to sleep, so sometimes she is an angel. I call her "Angel" and the rest of my family is like,"Yeah right."

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
so lucky said:
I wish we could figure out what it is that gives some children that destructive streak. The streak that makes them ink their dolls, break the bar of soap, tear up the creations of their siblings, kick the cat, take apart their toys, etc. It is beyond curiosity, and beyond clumsiness. I have worked with children like this professionally, so I don't know what they grew up to be. One of my grand daughters is like this. I'm sure some of us had kids like this--can you relate how they grew up? How they handle stress now? Are they trouble makers now? Sorry if I hijacked this thread, but somehow it relates...
(totally off topic...) Actually I read a fascinating book by Temple Grandin called Animals Make Us Human that talked about how animals develop and the development of dogs. She goes into a lot of detail about a lot of different things, but your comment reminded me of something she pointed out. She explained that young animals develop violent behaviors before they develop submissive behaviors. This happens so that the adult animals can teach them to manage their emotions and their strength while the animal is still small and can be easily managed. If it happened the other way around it would be harder for the adults to manage the young ones due to their size and strength. This seems to apply to humans as well as animals (we are animals after all!) /ramble

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmmm, I'l have to read that book. Temple Grandin is a very interesting person.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
so lucky, it really changed a lot of my thought processes about animals (and a few about people to!) I happened to pick it up when Borders was closing, got a pretty good deal on it (and a ton of other books). I hadn't seen that one before, and it turned out to be a really good find! WELL worth the read.

marlo1968

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
About to try the Magic Eraser. I also had someone suggest hairspray (I hope they weren't joking). And I can try the WD40....what have I got to lose? I told my 15 year old that if I have to paint, I want her to take a b4 and after pic. If I go thru that much trouble, I want something to show for it.
Hairspray works to remove most inks, but mainly because it has alcohol in it, go with the alcohol, its cheaper and isn't sticky. Most pens and markers will be removed with alcohol. It's what I use on walls, counters, hard surfaces, and clothing. Always try a test spot first.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
About to try the Magic Eraser. I also had someone suggest hairspray (I hope they weren't joking). And I can try the WD40....what have I got to lose? I told my 15 year old that if I have to paint, I want her to take a b4 and after pic. If I go thru that much trouble, I want something to show for it.
HAir spray workkks very well for some stains the alcohol can disslove many things which can transfer to the polymer (makes your hair stiff) brush out or wash out like you would from your hair. BTW do you know what kind of ink or marker was used? Markers even water based are tough to remove. Some ball points have inks that really do prevent removal.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I'll get an opportunity to try the rubbing alcohol, because I found that my darling destructive grand daughter has absolutely totally inked/magic markered another baby doll. Also, I made all the grandkids sock monkeys and of course this child marked up her sister's monkey's face. Grrrr! :he

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Well, I'll get an opportunity to try the rubbing alcohol, because I found that my darling destructive grand daughter has absolutely totally inked/magic markered another baby doll. Also, I made all the grandkids sock monkeys and of course this child marked up her sister's monkey's face. Grrrr! :he
:th Sounds like you have a lot of scrubbing to do!