Inspiring rain water catch system on a homesteaders property!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
hah. hoarding a natural resource.

Here's a decent enough article on it.

Colorado Water Law requires that precipitation fall to the ground, run off and into the river of the watershed where it fell. Because rights to water are legally allocated in this state, an individual may not capture and use water to which he/she does not have a right. We must remember also that rain barrels dont help much in a drought because a drought by its very nature supplies little in the way of snow or rain.
it's seriously ridiculous.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
abifae said:
It's illegal here :(

To catch rain water.
That's crazy. As if they don't have enough other things to worry about and regulate? So what do they do if they catch you?

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We're not that bad here, but it is illegal to allow grey water to anywhere but straight into a septic tank in our state. It must be treated exactly like blackwater. You can't even reuse it to flush a toilet with. I think that is a big waste of water that could be reused.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
They are offering permits for testing the effects of rainwater collection on supplies downstream and on aquifer levels or something like that. The governor's office is looking into whether or not it is feasible to open up rain water collection state wide without impacting those with water rights. See, Colorado supplies water for several other states and water rights can be passed from generation to generation and can also be owned by large corporations. It's a big ole mess. Top it off that the population is increasing at an enormous rate. While rainwater collection is illegal without permit, it isn't enforced very often from what I've heard. It's kind of like don't ask, don't show, don't tell.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Aidenbaby said:
While rainwater collection is illegal without permit, it isn't enforced very often from what I've heard. It's kind of like don't ask, don't show, don't tell.
I didn't know about the permits! That's a good start.

And yeh, if your water collection is out front, they fine you. If your neighbors tattle, they fine you. But they certainly don't go LOOKING for barrels.

I'd still like to increase the water price on anyone who doesn't xeriscape. Green lawns in any of the four corners or CA should be fined since they all have to borrow water to have any lawn at all.

:D