Interesting Craigslist Ad Hey Free! Gleno says you repsonded to this

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
I'd have to look up and study about dog goats but the add seems to be kind of picky...they feel the need to "visit your farm" to ensure your facilities meet with their approval. Hmmm wonder what that is about?
I'd like to have some goats for milking but am not aware of the characteristics of the dog goat.
Do you know anything about them?

I've been all over the Internet and have NOT found any reference to such a breed. I did get this however:
Dairy Goat Breeds
Following is a list of milk goat breeds.
Anatolian Black Goat
Canary Island Goat
Beetal
Nubian
Belgian Fawn
Anglo-Nubian
Alpine
Jonica
Irish
Kamori
Poitou
Pyrenean
Carpathian
Damani
Don
Dutch Landrace
Corsican
Jamnapari
Benadir
Booted Goat
Brown Shorthair
Sable Saanen
Sarda
Peacock Goat
Toggenburg
Valais Blackneck
Murcia-Granada
Norwegian
Orobica
Oberhasli
Red Mediterranean
Hasi
Golden Guernsey
Garganica
Finnish Landrace
Hailun
Grisons Striped
Hongtong
Hungarian Improved
Erzgebirge Goat
Loashan
Maltese
There are six primary breeds of dairy goats in America. They are as follows:

Nubian
Originally developed in England, this goat breed can serve as a dual purpose animal, for milk as well as meat. Read more on Nubian goat info.

Alpine
The origin of Alpine breed is believed to be Swiss and French influence. It is considered as a good milker and can easily produce 3 or more liters of milk per day.

Saanen
This is the largest of all dairy goat breeds and holds a world record for milk production of 3028 kg in 305 days, which comes to approximately 10 liters per day.

Toggenburg
It is considered as the oldest and the purest of all Swiss breeds. It is actually the smallest of all the dairy goat breeds and can produce and 3 liters of milk per day.

LaMancha
LaMancha goats have really small ears and are also called as elf eared goats. It is a medium sized goat but is a very strong and sturdy animal.

Oberhasli
Oberhasli is a medium sized Swiss dairy goat, also known as Swiss alpine. It is a colored breed and is quite alert and vigorous.

Meat Goat Breeds
Here are some examples of meat goat breeds. Have a look...
Barbari
Bhuj Goat
Boer
Chappar
Duan
Repartida
Rove
Somali Goat
Chigu
Spanish Goat
Kaghani
Haimen
Fainting Goat
Kiko
Xuhai
Verata
Zalawadi
Kalahari Red
Irish Goat
Huaipi
Chamois Colored
Changthangi
Chengdu Brown
Chengde Polled
Nachi Goat
Fiber Goat Breeds
Here comes a list of common goat breeds used for their hair or fiber.
Anatolian Black Goat
Angora
Cashmere
Chigu
Hyrcus
Kaghani
Jining Gray
Pygora
Uzbek Black
Zalawadi
Australian Cashmere
Hexi Cashmere
Don
Changthangi
Zhiwulin Black
Nigora
Zhongwei
Altai Mountain Goat
Xinjiang
Goat Breeds Used for Goatskin
Following breeds of goat are normally used for their skin. Have a look at them...
Jining Gray
Qinshan
Sahelian
Garganica
Black Bengal
Don
Zhongwei
Companion Goat Breeds
Australian miniature goats, Nigerian dwarf goats and pygmy goat breeds generally serve as great companion animals. These loving companions also supply nutritious milk to their owners.

Read more on:
Pygmy Goat Care
Raising Goats for Profit
Raising Goats as Pets
These were the different breeds of goats that are found in different parts of the world. Out of all these breeds of goats, the Nubian and the Alpine goat breeds are the most popular dairy goat breeds and the Boer, Kinder and Tennessee are popular meat goat breeds. Hope you found this information useful!

By Amruta Deshpande
Published: 5/24/2010

As you can see from the above, there was no Dog Goat breed known. After searching the Internet, nothing came even close. The photograph does not seem to make any difference. The fact that they call them "Puppies" is rather bizzare as well. I sent an email asking for information about this breed but will have to wait and see what they say. It may be a Phishing scam...which worries me to some extent. The fact that these folks want to "visit your farm" makes me "raise an eyebrow" because you just don't know who you are dealing with or what they are actually looking for. Don't be fooled by "G*d Bless" as an ending. I am VERY suspicious of how these folks are doing business.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That same ad ran about a month ago....I put it up on BYH because I thought it was funny.

Freemotion responded to the ad....FREE....whatever happened?

Since I'm so close to them I'm really tempted to drive on over there just to see these puppies.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I just wonder if they guard themselves? And are they born 1,2 or 3 at a time or do they come in a whole litter?

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hmmmm. Since they are calling them puppies. Do you think I can get away with keeping them in my apartment.. LOL Now that is an interesting looking breed of dog..

If they dont know what they are really called. They shouldnt own them..

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My first thought was that they are hyping them up into a rare and unusual animal to justify a higher price for what is probably a mutt goat.

But maybe Icu is right instead. I know I really dont want folks coming to my farm if I don't know them.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain it's just a marketing gimic. Nothing to do with inter-breeding, just don't want to see their goats being eaten.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hee-hee, they are as much boars as they are puppies..... :p

I emailed, saying I hoped it was a joke and that they wouldn't sell to dummies who really thought they could be raised like puppies. They never responded, so who knows? I probably wouldn't have responded, either.....maybe.....no, I would have. :rolleyes:

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Hee-hee, they are as much boars as they are puppies..... :p

I emailed, saying I hoped it was a joke and that they wouldn't sell to dummies who really thought they could be raised like puppies. They never responded, so who knows? I probably wouldn't have responded, either.....maybe.....no, I would have. :rolleyes:
I've always thought Boers are cute because they look a little like floppy eared dogs. It is hard to tell what the ad's intent was. Almost as if they were looking to see what response they'd get! It was a cute picture, that's for sure.
Free, drive on down and the three of us can take a field trip!