Interesting Japanese Observation

Status
Not open for further replies.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
higher code of morals than many Americans? or any other people on the planet in other countries too???

I sure say NO to that comment

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I would not personally say morals one way or t'other) -- I would say, civic habits. Which certainly ARE profoundly different in Japan vs the US.

For a news story sort of highlighting this, and offering a few bright moments in the general tragedy, see http://www.smh.com.au/environment/small-miracles-amid-the-carnage-20110314-1bulh.html (read all the way thru to the end, where they talk about the thirsty folks near where the Kirin beer plant used to was ;))

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea the word morals just doesn't fit here to me :lol:

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
still have yet to hear one story of looting or violence anywhere in Japan since this happened. Sorry, but I disagree. There is a huge cultural difference between there and here. Here, there is an idea of "me", "mine", "get what I can, to hell with anyone else", "I'll help others after I've got everything I need". There they have an ingrained belief of respect for elders. How many pictures have been put out of relief workers praying and showing honor to the dead?

I read lots of stories of empty shelves, long lines and little to no food or water, yet no violence and no destruction of stores that are still open. I've read story after story of the young helping take care of the old.

Say what you want, but beginning after WWII, there has been a steady decline in the ingrained moral fiber of the American people.

I live in Oklahoma and was here during the May 3rd tornados. I saw the destruction. I also saw people helping others. We have it in us to be compassionate, but it seems to be a virtue that is steadly declining.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
keep it all in perspective also

the 'country life' people help more

the 'city life' (and I mean anywhere) can be brutal etc

go to any slum scary part of Japan, take a walk, see how you get treated.

honestly while I do understand that humans are less interested in the value of human life, it is not exclusive with ANY ONE area.

I just hate all the American bashing. IT IS EVERYWHERE

and research a bit of Japans past....they sure aren't saints the way they treated other cultures to conquer.

don't get me wrong......I love the fact that such a huge disaster has great stories and people are respectful. but to say every other disaster or place pales in comparsion, I just don't see it.

good thing we have those 'un moral' Americans and other countryies wanting to send money and supplies and help the people of Japan ;)

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't believe the Japanese culture is any better or worse than ours. Just different.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I didn't say we aren't compassionate, it's just the majority of people are of the me and mine mentality.

It was a global embarrassment when Katrina hit. That was the face the US.

You're right, country people are more caring about their neighbors than city people. At least from personal experience with the May 3rd tornados.

I'm sure there are slums in Toyoko (I have never been there) yet they are having rolling blackouts and long lines at stores and gas stations. Yet I personally have not heard of one violent act. With so many news organizations coving this, if there was an issue with violence or looting, it would be reported.

Look at the pictures of the shelters. People have their shoes off and are sleeping without the threat of someone stealing what little they do have.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
oh, and I'm not saying they are all saints. Not at all. ( I watched a documentary called THe Cove, very brutal acts in Japan)

Just comparing a general Japanese population to a general American population. again, from various news agencies, have never been to Japan myself. (although, the people that I do know that have been there either to vacation or for military stationing, they all have said the Japanese people are wonderfully caring and helpful people)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
comparing Japanese culture to the American melting pot culture is a stretch lol so different obviously lol

but they are doing heroic efforts for that nuclear reactor...I sure hope in the end they can 'come out ahead'

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think cultures ARE different one from another, the way people think and react are different, etc.

I have close friends who are Japanese, and we've discussed this in the past. I'm actually not surprised that people are behaving in an orderly way, and helping older people, sacrificing for their sakes, accepting meager handouts in some cases without complaint.

Is that better or worse than the "typical American mindset"? (Whatever THAT is; I think we have more cultural variation in the US than in any other group I've looked into.)

Better in some ways, worse in others maybe. If you insist on quantifying things.

I also see a somewhat surprising number of people faced with difficulties in survival -- a cold night and no way to get where they need to be, where the people seem rather lost and, to my "American" mind, possibly not showing as much initiative as I would expect.

Better? Worse? I'd say we all have our strengths and weaknesses. Too bad we can't all somehow take the strengths and what is good from every culture and somehow incorporate it. Then again, I suppose folks would disagree from one to the next what IS best.

But yes, the typical Japanese mindset and resulting behavior is different from the typical American mindset and behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.