Interesting ways/ideas for your Kombucha!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The water kefir has been an experiment with some hits and some misses. The gingerale was a hit, and so were the grapes. I am doing grape juice right now. I have found that I let it sit much longer than what you are told to do, and also I sweeten it with stevia after the ferment to get it to the proper sweetness level for me.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
My whole family loves kombucha as is, but I have read on blogs and such about doing a double ferment with it, --after you strain it, put it in other containers with different kinds of fruit, similar to what CoT is saying, but with real fruit. I have tried it with strawberries and blueberries, and the end result is quite nice. But since we like it straightup, I dont bother.

However, with my water kefir, I do do a second ferment, with different fruits, or fruit juices. I have used ginger in it to, and it comes out tasting just like gingerale. I did grapes once and it tasted like wine.
How long would you 'double ferment' the kombucha and fruit? That sounds interesting...would the alcohol content go up? :fl :p

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I double fermented my water kefir. It smelled alcoholic and tasted alcoholic, but then that is from someone who has only ever had a sip of wine when I was 6. :p Anyways we tested it and it was not alcoholic at all. It was a good half inch below zero.

We have had kombucha that registered as a 2 for alcohol content, but that was because I had harvested it while it was still sweet, added juice concentrate and then bottled it.

In my very limited understanding... So long as you don't have more sugar then the yeast can eat during the second ferment stage, you wont get alcohol. Sweet + Juice + Capping tightly = Alcoholic beverage. Slightly sour + Juice + capping tightly = Excellent non Alcoholic Kombucha/water kefir.

The thingy to test the alcohol level is pretty cheap. I think my brother said he got his for $10 at a local brewing supply store. It's been worth it for us since we don't drink anything intoxicating.

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
CrownofThorns said:
Try putting some grape juice concentrate in your kombucha for your daughter. It tastes almost just like grape soda, especially if you have bottles and let it fizz up for a day or two.
We are still using commercial Kombucha here and let it sit out on the counter so it gets the fizziness back then "cut it" with apple juice and it is SOOO good!

She finally confessed that she is not drinking it because it is so expensive and she doesn't want to use it up rather than let me have it...

Have I mentioned lately how proud of my kids I am !?!?!

Humbled Navajo.

Latest posts