Intermediate Cheesemaking: Beyond chevre

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I have only made mozzarella, ricotta and chevre and have not had a musky taste. Then again I don't have a buck so that may be the difference.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Musky taste? Well, this is my second full season of making cheese and I have no clue as to what you are talking about, so hopefully that is good news to you! I think she was handling her milk incorrectly or her cheese got contaminated during the process.... :hu

flossy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Free, that does make me feel better. If you haven't tasted that then I will feel a lot better. The feta was nasty, it even kinda smelled not, i don't knwo how to explain it, but not right for feta, because I love feta. But if this isn't a normal thing, then I'm not gona think twice about the goats milk cheese. If you don't mind me asking, what is your fav goats milk cheese?

flossy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
Then again I don't have a buck so that may be the difference.
Could having a buck really make a difference to the taste? she does have bucks, a few I believe, her main business with the goats is selling the babies. I think she actually sells most of her milk as pet milk.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
flossy said:
Henrietta23 said:
Then again I don't have a buck so that may be the difference.
Could having a buck really make a difference to the taste? she does have bucks, a few I believe, her main business with the goats is selling the babies. I think she actually sells most of her milk as pet milk.
I have read that it does, but honestly, I'm not sure. I hope you don't give up on the idea. Goats are awesome!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
She may be so used to buck cologne that she doesn't notice it anymore... :sick

My favorite is actually the feta! I don't care much for store bought feta. I like the flavor of the cheddars but not the texture so much.

flossy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks guys, and I can only imagine what buck scent is like, eeek. Because that stuff was nasty. what does the milk taste like? My DH was bought up on a dairy farm, and loved fresh raw milk. Is it much the same? Thanks for answering all my newbie questions!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
There is nothing like raw goat's milk! Similar to cow's milk but more digestible.

When I was a kid my parents heard so many times that goat's milk was awful so they started bringing milk to their friend's houses to do "blind taste tests." They would fill a glass with our goat's milk and a glass with the friend's storebought cow's milk and 100% of the people could tell the difference right away.

They always chose the goat's milk as the best tasting! ALWAYS. Most reported that the cow's milk tasted like chemicals. But it was storebought. This was back in the late 70's. I can't imagine what it would be like now.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I also have never had a good goat cheese. One time I tried some and I swear it tasted like vomit. Sour vomit. So I am taking a huge leap of faith spurred on by all of you here. I'm so afraid we will hate it.