Intermediate Cheesemaking: Beyond chevre

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If you hate it, sell the goat! There are plenty who like it. I took that leap, not even knowing if I could drink the milk at all, as storebought milk makes me very, very sick. I figured I could sell the goat if it didn't work out. As you can see from the responses, even if you end up not liking it, there are people out there that do and you will be able to sell her. But I doubt you'll want to!

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
Hey! I get to post in the cheese making thread now! :D I am no where near as experienced as anyone on here but I have made cheese! I made a little bit of yogurt to get over my fear of spoiling milk and last week I made a batch of cottage cheese. It was wonderful! better than anything I have ever had from the store. I'm slowly getting things together for hard cheeses. I've got a press, molds, rennet, intructions for a culture, cheese cloth, big pot, and all I need is the milk and I THINK I'm ready to go. My plan is to start off small and make some cheese curds this weekend and then I may try something more challenging like cream cheese or moz.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I got my culture I got my culture!!! This weekend I tackle feta!! (If I don't end up in Greenfield at their Fiber fest........)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Fiber fest? Oh, I think I might hijack my own thread!!! I have nine fleeces and will be getting Memere's carders re-faced with new pins and am getting one of woodwizard's drop spindles....oh, poo, no time this weekend. Aren't we meeting in Hartford this Saturday? Still on? I can do any Saturday, sounds like Fiber fest and cheese is more urgent, and I will be in Newington every Saturday for a while!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Fiber fest? Oh, I think I might hijack my own thread!!! I have nine fleeces and will be getting Memere's carders re-faced with new pins and am getting one of woodwizard's drop spindles....oh, poo, no time this weekend. Aren't we meeting in Hartford this Saturday? Still on? I can do any Saturday, sounds like Fiber fest and cheese is more urgent, and I will be in Newington every Saturday for a while!
Oooo, I knew something was going on Saturday. I've got to get better about keeping my calendar next to the computer when I'm on here! We're still on. I can do cheese later in the day. I need to get to WF anyway.
To tell the truth, while the fiber fest is tempting, it would mean meeting up with a college roomate that I'm not entirely keen on meeting up with after all these years..... so I don't think I'm breaking my plans to meet up with you to drive 2+ hours to Greenfield to spend $$ I don't have on yarn I don't have time to do anything with....

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
AHHH Question!!! When a recipe calls for 1/2 tablet of rennet in 1/4 cup of water or 2 tsp. of liquid rennet do you have to dilute the liquid rennet in a 1/4 cup of water also or is it already diluted and ready to go?!? I can't find this answer anywhere! I have liquid rennet but alot of my recipes call for the tablet in water. HELP! :hu

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Two teaspoons of rennet sounds like a lot....remember that some veg rennets are double strength so know thy rennet. :p