Intermediate Cheesemaking: Beyond chevre

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hum.. neither can i... its been all fubar the last couple of days.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
How big does the cheesecloth need to be for feta, in order to tie it etc.

I have a piece a yard squareish, it seems huge but I don't want to cut it and end up with 4 pieces too small! (if I cut in quarters)

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Well I left it the size it was :lol: I have a tiny ball of cheese hanging with a knot in the cheese cloth bigger than the cheese! :gig

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I have to turn the feta over in a few hours, I'm going to try cut off a piece so I can make Ricotta with the Whey. :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
I have to turn the feta over in a few hours, I'm going to try cut off a piece so I can make Ricotta with the Whey. :D
:hu Cut off a piece so you can make.....OH! Cut off a piece of the muslin! Got it!

You can use a piece cut from an old, clean sheet or pillowcase, too. Not flannel. :p

Don't chop that square up too much, as you will be using a five gallon stock pot to make cheese before you know it! And if your feta batch was small, you will only get a spoonful of ricotta from the whey. Do you have a tea strainer? That would work for a little batch of ricotta if it has a very fine mesh.

Don't use your milk filter though, you will ruin it if you are using a forever coffee filter.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:gig Free.....

I cut of a strip of the muslin like about 6-7 inches wide, and used that, yeah there isn't a heck of a lot of the ricotta, its still draining.

I need a bigger pot! :p