Intermediate Cheesemaking: Beyond chevre

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Woohoo! Which cultures did you buy? DVI is Direct Vat Innoculation, I think, it just means it is easy to use, you put it right into the milk instead of having to carefully grow a batch first. Trying to be a purist, I tried growing my own at first. I now prefer to use the direct stuff. Something in my life needs to be easy....

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I bought the MM culture for soft cheese, I also bought the kid/lamb lipase and vegetable rennet for making the feta, I should be able to make some Chevre with that stuff as well according to the recipes on Fias Co farm.
:D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
There are a lot of cheeses you can make with those ingredients. Once you have a few batches of feta and chevre down, see if you can get the 200 recipes book. Many of them can be made with mesophilic culture and rennet.

Veg rennet can make aged cheeses bitter, so use it for the ones that you won't keep as long. Not that they keep long, anyways...we eat them right up!

Later, if you want to get into waxing and aging some cheeses for many months, use veal rennet.

Right now I am in a softer cheese stage....I want to try all the cheeses I have never been able to try because they would make me sick. That reminds me....gotta go flip my Camemberts! :weee

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
freemotion said:
There are a lot of cheeses you can make with those ingredients. Once you have a few batches of feta and chevre down, see if you can get the 200 recipes book. Many of them can be made with mesophilic culture and rennet.

Veg rennet can make aged cheeses bitter, so use it for the ones that you won't keep as long. Not that they keep long, anyways...we eat them right up!

Later, if you want to get into waxing and aging some cheeses for many months, use veal rennet.

Right now I am in a softer cheese stage....I want to try all the cheeses I have never been able to try because they would make me sick. That reminds me....gotta go flip my Camemberts! :weee
I absolutly would love to make aged cheeses, my favorite cheese is called Cougar gold, from washington I belive, its the most devine cheese ever, they can the cheese, in metal cans! But its SOOOOO good!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
:lol:
That is tomorrow's project. I have some buttermilk culture and will be trying that today. And more yogurt and mozzarella.... and some sewing I've been putting off.... :barnie