Introducing Beaux

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The missing hen came out from under the building. She was hot and thirsty, hanging around her coop, trying to get back in. It was Rose, a hen that was injured as a baby chick, our oldest grand daughter held her all weekend, and she survived. So I got the fish net, captured Rose and looked her over for injuries. She was ok! I opened up the door to her coop, only to be met by Alfred the rooster. He attacked her in my hands. I was stunned. Alfred is a laid back boy, never gives me any trouble. But Alfred was not having Rose back. You stupid rooster! It hasn't even been 12 hours! So Rose is in a small coop by herself for now.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh my gosh...stupid Alfred! I think I'd be putting HIM in the small coop and let her settle back into her coop. She's been through enough trauma for one day.

Sure hope you can get Beaux to change his attitude. :fl Catahoula's are a tough breed.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow I just caught up on this. I love Catahoulas but yeah... Not really chicken friendly! My dog Clara is bred to be a hog dog. Her dad took down a moose on a hog hunt once. (he got in trouble for that! Lol) but she has never ever touched a chicken. She herds the goats for me, she would love to herd the pigs, and she chased the roo but never hurts them. We are so, so lucky!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I l
Oh my gosh...stupid Alfred! I think I'd be putting HIM in the small coop and let her settle back into her coop. She's been through enough trauma for one day.

Sure hope you can get Beaux to change his attitude. :fl Catahoula's are a tough breed.
i like that idea! I may switch Rose and Alfred right at dark. Give it a few days and put Alfred back in.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After a few more episodes that I prevented him from killing any more chickens, my husband and I talked it over and decided to find him another home. I ran an ad on Craigslist with a good description, including that he killed chickens. There was a lot of interest, but no one met my criteria. Yesterday a lady called and we talked. She sounded perfect. She and her husband came and picked him up. They have 15 acres surrounded by 150 acres of family land, they have a 4 year old boy, a Catahoula/Labrador cross, 2 Australian shepherds and NO chickens. She works at a vet clinic, Beaux went right to them and they all fell in love. It was heart wrenching to let him go, but I couldn't trust him out of my sight. We miss him.

Since we moved here 3 years ago, we lost 2 of our beloved dogs. We have two Great Pyrenees that love us fiercely and we love them even more. But our house feels so empty. We are still grieving the loss of Parker, and now Beaux. But I really feel that Beaux is in a better situation now and will be happier. I guess we will start looking around for another Labrador or Lab mix.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hard as it was you know you did the best thing for him and y'all. Sounds like you found the perfect place and family for him.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As I'm glad you found him a good home, and your chickens are safe! Sounds like he'll be happy there!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear things didn't work out with him :hugs I know you did your best, but I guess he just didn't want to learn, or stop. Glad to hear you found him such a good home.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I texted with Beaux's new Mommy today. her husband said Beaux would be an outside dog, but he has slept with them the past two nights. LOL Her husband took Beaux with him to work today. We feel really good that Beaux has such a good home.

Latest posts