Introducing myself

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I would say that mulching cut my total garden work by 75%. After the initial planting and erecting supports for tomatoes and other vines was accomplished, I bet I didn't spend any more than 15 min. at a time in my garden until harvest~and that was spent loitering and admiring! Using the square foot gardening method also helped suppress weeds and contributed towards keeping the soil covered and moist. I think you are showing good sense to keep it small at first.

And you already have a great source of manure for your garden! That's nice to have.

Welcome to the forum! I hope you find some useful ideas and feel free to contribute some of your own as well. :)

It doesn't hurt, if you are a member of a church, to let it be known that you need help to raise a garden...you would be amazed at how many folks are looking for a good way to help others and show their fellowship and support. Plus, they could benefit from your garden as well.

I've even seen ads in our local classifieds for folks needing someone to put in a garden for them for a part of the harvest. It brings people with no land but time and a will together with people with land and no time to garden. Its worth a try!
In this part of rural Saskatchewan, everyone has land. Even in town, there aren't really any "apartment buildings" except for seniors' housing, and town is over 1/2 an hour away. All the neighbors between here and town have at least 160 acres. But, I'm still going to put the word out and see if there's something else I can trade for garden help.

Can you tell me more about the "square foot gardening method", or point me to a source that talks about it. I'm a total newbie when it comes to gardening, but want to learn.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If you put "square foot gardening" into a google search you will get lots of great ideas. There is a book out there, too, that your library might get for you, but you will likely find most of what you need online.

I once found a source that sells seeds in very small amounts for $.25 per packet, something like 6 seeds per packet, but I cannot find it now. It may still be out there. Or you may put the word out again, and get some leftover seeds from someone.

I find that if I ask advice of friendly older folks, they love to teach and help and will give plants and seedlings and such. And I can give them things that I do, like a pair of handmade earrings or a massage for that tight back.

You likely have wonderful yogurt and cheese!

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome to our forum :weee

We love to hear about all the adventures you are having. Right now it's pretty slow around here but the tips are priceless. Just look in the index under the category you are wondering about or ask a question and the answers will start coming fast.

I feel like I have some great neighbors to talk to here, they understand me and my plight and they are happy to lend an ear.

It sounds like you are very busy already. A little garden along the house would be a nice start for you I think. Nothing big right now considering you have to care for so many goats and your hubby.

Good Luck

Again, Welcome

Sharene

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
WElcome to our little neck in the woods.

Have you consider maybe a salad garden in containers? Not a ton of work involved with them.
Sorry to hear about your hubby. I understand having your hands full it is hard to garden, I had to let mine go one yr when I was taking care of dmil who was bedridden, homeschooling ds & just had dd. Not enough hrs in the day. Glad to have you on board.

Nikki28

Power Conserver
Reaction score
:welcome

I'm sorry about what your going through with your husband my thoughts are with you.

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the simple life said:
I just want to tell you that I LOVE your website! How cute and funny is that picture?!
Good luck with everything.
Thank you. That's Honey peeking over the gate. DH just happened to be in the right place at the right time with his camera.

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for such a warm welcome. This is gonna be a good place to be. :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
the simple life said:
I just want to tell you that I LOVE your website! How cute and funny is that picture?!
Good luck with everything.
Ditto that!! So cute! Love the music.... :)