Introducing myself

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just joined and thought I should introduce myself. I live in Saskatchewan, Canada and have raised Boer goats for about 9 years. We moved to Sask. from BC a few years ago and now that we have the land base, I'm working at becoming more self sufficient. We raised a few meat chickens last year and this year, I'm planning to start a permanent flock of layers.

I have big dreams about what I could do here to be much more self sufficient, but my biggest obstacle is time. Don't want to indulge in a sob story here, but basically, I'm caring for a husband with a deteriorating mental condition, so he's not able to help out much with the farm. I also work part time off-farm and there never seems to be enough time to get things done here with just the goats. I can't see how I can do things like put in a garden, etc. If anyone has suggestions on how to make a mixed farm easier and more efficient to operate alone, I'd really appreciate it.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome Sheri! I'm sorry to hear about your husband, that must be very hard for you.
The only advice I can give you is to take a little time for yourself once in awhile, be good to yourself. It may take a little extra time but if you can set up garden areas that are in raised beds, have auto waterers, use weed barriers and mulch, mulch, mulch you'll have less to care for.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Welcome!! I admire your pluck for doing your best to be self sufficient!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
:welcome

Hey Sheri,

Sorry to hear about your husband.

Having a garden and tending to it is very relaxing, for me anyway. It doesn't take alot of time if you do a little bit everyday. I would suggest that you plant what you like and what you will use most.

A garden to supplement two people wouldn't have to be very big. If you mulch like farmerlor said, weed control time can be minimized.

If you have a neighbor close by who shares your interest, you could also share "garden time". Work on it when each of you can and split the harvest.

Another thought would be to "lease" an acre or two and let someone do the gardening for you. You could work out a deal letting them plant, work and harvest and split the profits or the veggies depending on the size.

Just some rambling thoughts . . .

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
punkin said:
:welcome

Hey Sheri,

Sorry to hear about your husband.

Having a garden and tending to it is very relaxing, for me anyway. It doesn't take alot of time if you do a little bit everyday. I would suggest that you plant what you like and what you will use most.

A garden to supplement two people wouldn't have to be very big. If you mulch like farmerlor said, weed control time can be minimized.

If you have a neighbor close by who shares your interest, you could also share "garden time". Work on it when each of you can and split the harvest.

Another thought would be to "lease" an acre or two and let someone do the gardening for you. You could work out a deal letting them plant, work and harvest and split the profits or the veggies depending on the size.

Just some rambling thoughts . . .
Interesting ideas. I'm not sure anyone would want to share or lease, since most people around here have their own gardens. I'm in a very rural part of Saskatchewan, so all the people around me have at least 160 acres to play with. :) I like the mulching idea or the raised beds. No matter what, I know I'll have to start small.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I would say that mulching cut my total garden work by 75%. After the initial planting and erecting supports for tomatoes and other vines was accomplished, I bet I didn't spend any more than 15 min. at a time in my garden until harvest~and that was spent loitering and admiring! Using the square foot gardening method also helped suppress weeds and contributed towards keeping the soil covered and moist. I think you are showing good sense to keep it small at first.

And you already have a great source of manure for your garden! That's nice to have.

Welcome to the forum! I hope you find some useful ideas and feel free to contribute some of your own as well. :)

It doesn't hurt, if you are a member of a church, to let it be known that you need help to raise a garden...you would be amazed at how many folks are looking for a good way to help others and show their fellowship and support. Plus, they could benefit from your garden as well.

I've even seen ads in our local classifieds for folks needing someone to put in a garden for them for a part of the harvest. It brings people with no land but time and a will together with people with land and no time to garden. Its worth a try!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Hi and welcome!

Nice to meet you...it sure sounds like you have a lot on your plate. Do you think anyone would be willing to trade some garden help for some goat's milk or a new kid? Or even for some chickens for meat? Think about what you have and use that to barter with.

Look forward to talking to you more!

Lori

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Welcome, and my heart goes out to you. All great suggestions, if you were my neighbor, I would gladly trade for milk!!! There IS someone out there to trade with, put the word out and see what happens.

Meanwhile, start very small with the garden so it is fun and not a chore. Choose plants that don't give their bounty all at once or you may lose your veggies if you have no time when they are ripe. Choose things that are easy to process and store, or things that you can eat as they ripen. Things that are easy to wash and cook, too. I stopped with the swiss chard because I am spider-phobic and there are too many folds in those leaves!!!

Cukes are a must, think sugarsnap peas if you like them, you can pick some everyday when they start coming in. Maybe a few herbs that you like, as they can be washed and rolled in wax paper, put into a ziploc and thrown in the freezer. Then you can just pull out what you need and it is not a lot of work.

Once word gets out, you will probably receive more tomatoes and zucchini than you ever thought possible!

I look forward to your goat advice! I have goat issues! ;)

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Welcome, and my heart goes out to you. All great suggestions, if you were my neighbor, I would gladly trade for milk!!! There IS someone out there to trade with, put the word out and see what happens.

Meanwhile, start very small with the garden so it is fun and not a chore. Choose plants that don't give their bounty all at once or you may lose your veggies if you have no time when they are ripe. Choose things that are easy to process and store, or things that you can eat as they ripen. Things that are easy to wash and cook, too. I stopped with the swiss chard because I am spider-phobic and there are too many folds in those leaves!!!

Cukes are a must, think sugarsnap peas if you like them, you can pick some everyday when they start coming in. Maybe a few herbs that you like, as they can be washed and rolled in wax paper, put into a ziploc and thrown in the freezer. Then you can just pull out what you need and it is not a lot of work.

Once word gets out, you will probably receive more tomatoes and zucchini than you ever thought possible!

I look forward to your goat advice! I have goat issues! ;)
Great advice! Thanks so much. I'm somewhat limited in what I can grow here, since the season is so short. We are supposedly in hardiness zone 3, but I suspect that's pushing it a bit. I love the idea of the herbs, because I use natural products in my soaps and lotions wherever possible. I could especially use lavender and calendula (a marigold).

I'd be happy to help with your "goat issues". If it's not appropriate here on this thread, feel free to post them wherever goat stuff belongs or PM me.