Ionized Water???

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
~gd said:
There is no empirical evidence to support claims made by manufacturers that drinking ionized water will have a noticeable effect on the body.[4] Drinking ionized water would not be expected to alter the body's pH,[1] due to the acid-base homeostasis. -Wikipedia [search Ionized water]
Yeah, sounds fishy.

Does anyone even know what an ion is?

BTW, you can't control your pH. Your body controls its own pH because otherwise you would die. Even if your deoderant is "pH balanced for women", the cells/tissues/organs/systems take care of it.

OK, I'll stop now before I turn into a troll. Drink whatever water you want.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
~gd said:
There is no empirical evidence to support claims made by manufacturers that drinking ionized water will have a noticeable effect on the body.[4] Drinking ionized water would not be expected to alter the body's pH,[1] due to the acid-base homeostasis. -Wikipedia [search Ionized water]
Yeah, sounds fishy.

Does anyone even know what an ion is? Seeing that I was a professional Chemist I think I do

BTW, you can't control your pH. Your body controls its own pH because otherwise you would die. Even if your deoderant is "pH balanced for women", the cells/tissues/organs/systems take care of it.

OK, I'll stop now before I turn into a troll. Drink whatever water you want.
I am already considered a Troll but I will agree drink what you want [I like a little EtOH in mine]~gd

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Oh, geez, I just had to review my chemistry to figure out what EtOH was.

While I don't know if this actually has any health benefits, my water is quite acidic. I don't drink it. Since we have copper pipes, we get green in the tub and sink. Plus, we're constantly getting little pin holes in the pipes. I'm not sure how many water heaters we've gone thru. We've tried various systems, but nothing really seems to work for long. Wonder how this would do.

dianahester

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
It is so strange to me to read such narrow minded comments. I have known for many, many years that your body can indeed become to acidic and it causes health problems. That is why if you have cancer, too much acid in your system is absolutely the cause of the problem. The food you eat, the drinks you drink, if the pH is less than 4.5 (sodas' by the way are around 2.8,) it creates a firestorm in your body (just a metaphor science guys...settle down) it causes those buffering systems in the body designed to keep the pH of the body between 7.35 and 7.45 to break down. That is why all the books on treating cancer start with a change of diet to an alkaline diet. Drinking alkaline water is actually a much easier way to change the environment in your body than eating alkaline food but doing both is advisable. It is just common sense!

It cracks me up that "chemist" and scientist are so smart that they don't understand the most fundamental things about caring for the body. Sounds fishy? Doesn't fit into your paradigm. I expect more from a group like this. I mean there are plenty of scientist and doctors who do get it. One doctor, Dr. Timothy McKnight wrote a book "Confessions of a Skeptical Physician" Half of the book contains the resources he discovered once he actually bothered doing the research. Those who don't bother think that calling themselves a scientist and a chemist makes them an authority on all things and automatically exempts them from studying the subject because they always know so much more than everyone else. Legends in their own mind.

dianahester

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:

While I don't know if this actually has any health benefits, my water is quite acidic. I don't drink it. Since we have copper pipes, we get green in the tub and sink. Plus, we're constantly getting little pin holes in the pipes. I'm not sure how many water heaters we've gone thru. We've tried various systems, but nothing really seems to work for long. Wonder how this would do.
Municipalities actually add lye to water because it has a high pH to bring the water to a more neutral state. If you test the pH in bottled water, it is all very acidic too. Ionizing water is the best way to drink water that is actually good for you. Are you on well water?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Yep, well water. I can't drink city water. It tastes horrible! And, I'd love to get away from the bottled water as well. I hate using all that plastic every week. I want to be able to turn on my tap, and just get a drink.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
dianahester said:
It is so strange to me to read such narrow minded comments. I have known for many, many years that your body can indeed become to acidic and it causes health problems. That is why if you have cancer, too much acid in your system is absolutely the cause of the problem. The food you eat, the drinks you drink, if the pH is less than 4.5 (sodas' by the way are around 2.8,) it creates a firestorm in your body (just a metaphor science guys...settle down) it causes those buffering systems in the body designed to keep the pH of the body between 7.35 and 7.45 to break down. That is why all the books on treating cancer start with a change of diet to an alkaline diet. Drinking alkaline water is actually a much easier way to change the environment in your body than eating alkaline food but doing both is advisable. It is just common sense!

It cracks me up that "chemist" and scientist are so smart that they don't understand the most fundamental things about caring for the body. Sounds fishy? Doesn't fit into your paradigm. I expect more from a group like this. I mean there are plenty of scientist and doctors who do get it. One doctor, Dr. Timothy McKnight wrote a book "Confessions of a Skeptical Physician" Half of the book contains the resources he discovered once he actually bothered doing the research. Those who don't bother think that calling themselves a scientist and a chemist makes them an authority on all things and automatically exempts them from studying the subject because they always know so much more than everyone else. Legends in their own mind.
I was reading in NT the other day and Fallon's recommendation is mineral water. For whatever that's worth. Personally, I find that I like the taste of our well water, which is moderately hard. I even take it to work in order to avoid the heavily chlorinated city water.

The issue of pH is very important----so important that your cells regulate it themselves. pH is so basic that it's part of every chemical reaction that makes you, well, you. For example, respiration depends on and uses pH. You can read about the solubility of CO2 and carbonic anhydrase if you're interested in the details. But for the most part, pH takes care of itself. As far as I know, the micro and macro pH regulation of your body is totally inaccessible---through diet or otherwise.

At the Mayo Clinic, in the library, there's a series of huge stone panels in the ceiling that have the names of various famous physicians and scientists. One is left blank. The legend is that this place is reserved for whoever cures cancer. This blank slab of stone is a tribute to the simplistic ideas of a bye-gone era. There is no single cure for cancer and there never will be. There's no silver bullet. There ARE effective therapies but the idea that cancer is a single disease or that you can modulate your pH with the water you drink is quaint and simplistic. I realize that this is hard to take in and I don't mean to make you feel bad. There's nothing wrong with not knowing, yet.

Questioning the claims of other people is not necessarily narrow minded. Calling other people narrow minded, in my experience, can be a symptom of a narrow mind. I hope that's not the case here. It's hard to tell when encountering a new member. So let's keep the conversation going and maybe we'll learn something from each other.

Also, the idea the physicians and scientists are automatically wrong or part of a conspiracy theory is, well, wrong. It's not evil medical school. It's just medical school :) Sometimes people who are educated dismiss ideas that are outright foolish or wrongheaded. For example, the Tappet brothers openly mock magentic fuel-molecule alignment systems and additives. There's a physics crackpot index [1], etc. Clearly, an idea isn't right just because you think of it or read about it. There ARE wrong ideas out there. Although it can hurt feelings of those deeply invested in a particular idea, the physicians, scientists, and other experts are often right. There are, too, examples of experts arriving at the wrong conclusion. There was a Nobel prize given for work on muscle contraction that turned out to be totally wrong, years later. In other areas, there is still debate. For example, fats are bad for your heart. Another: Salt causes hypertension. But those are areas of on-going research and it's hardly a conspiracy. You can read the papers yourself on PubMed for free.

Well, I'm off to read more about this ionized water idea.

1. http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dianahester said:
Denim Deb said:

Municipalities actually add lye to water because it has a high pH to bring the water to a more neutral state. If you test the pH in bottled water, it is all very acidic too. Ionizing water is the best way to drink water that is actually good for you. Are you on well water?
Actually most add ammonia [Deb NH3]or ammomia hydroxide which is the gas disloved in water it will adjust the pH but is is usually added to stablise the Chlorine added to kill germs. ~gd

dianahester

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I used to haul cases of bottled water a month into the house to avoid drinking tap water. Now all my son's friends come over to fill their water bottles up because the water taste so good. And the deal is, you can not only taste the difference but feel the difference. The machine has a filter in it too. So the water flows through the filter into a chamber that has 7 large medical grade titanium/platinum plates. The water splits at that juncture creating a positive and negative stream.

The machine allows you to select what water you want, 9.5 pH, 8.5, pH, 8.0 ph, clean water (basically just the filter) beauty water which is a pH of around 5.5 to 6.0 which is the same pH for skin toners and it acts as a skin toner. 2.5 is the strong acidic water which is a disinfectant for wounds, counter tops, food to make sure there is not bacteria. etc. Then there is 11.5 which is an emulsifier. You can wash your fruits and vegetables in the 11.5 and it pulls off all the pesticides and oxidation off the veggies and fruits, also clean stains in laundry, wash dishes in your dishwasher... just to name a few.

The water has a very high oxidation reduction potential. Green tea is around -100 and the water can go up to -900 ORP. This means the water is the strongest antioxidant you can take and is readily available to neutralize free radicals.

I am a fan because there is not a product on the market that can compare with what it has to offer not only in quality but also in versatility. For health and greening potential there is nothing that can compare.

dianahester

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
dianahester said:

I was reading in NT the other day and Fallon's recommendation is mineral water. For whatever that's worth. Personally, I find that I like the taste of our well water, which is moderately hard. I even take it to work in order to avoid the heavily chlorinated city water.

The issue of pH is very important----so important that your cells regulate it themselves. pH is so basic that it's part of every chemical reaction that makes you, well, you. For example, respiration depends on and uses pH. You can read about the solubility of CO2 and carbonic anhydrase if you're interested in the details. But for the most part, pH takes care of itself. As far as I know, the micro and macro pH regulation of your body is totally inaccessible---through diet or otherwise.

At the Mayo Clinic, in the library, there's a series of huge stone panels in the ceiling that have the names of various famous physicians and scientists. One is left blank. The legend is that this place is reserved for whoever cures cancer. This blank slab of stone is a tribute to the simplistic ideas of a bye-gone era. There is no single cure for cancer and there never will be. There's no silver bullet. There ARE effective therapies but the idea that cancer is a single disease or that you can modulate your pH with the water you drink is quaint and simplistic. I realize that this is hard to take in and I don't mean to make you feel bad. There's nothing wrong with not knowing, yet.

Questioning the claims of other people is not necessarily narrow minded. Calling other people narrow minded, in my experience, can be a symptom of a narrow mind. I hope that's not the case here. It's hard to tell when encountering a new member. So let's keep the conversation going and maybe we'll learn something from each other.

Also, the idea the physicians and scientists are automatically wrong or part of a conspiracy theory is, well, wrong. It's not evil medical school. It's just medical school :) Sometimes people who are educated dismiss ideas that are outright foolish or wrongheaded. For example, the Tappet brothers openly mock magentic fuel-molecule alignment systems and additives. There's a physics crackpot index [1], etc. Clearly, an idea isn't right just because you think of it or read about it. There ARE wrong ideas out there. Although it can hurt feelings of those deeply invested in a particular idea, the physicians, scientists, and other experts are often right. There are, too, examples of experts arriving at the wrong conclusion. There was a Nobel prize given for work on muscle contraction that turned out to be totally wrong, years later. In other areas, there is still debate. For example, fats are bad for your heart. Another: Salt causes hypertension. But those are areas of on-going research and it's hardly a conspiracy. You can read the papers yourself on PubMed for free.

Well, I'm off to read more about this ionized water idea.

1. http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html
Sorry I didn't mean to take a pot shot at you because you have your own position or to sound narrow minded. It is frustrating to me because I have something that you do not have, when it comes to ionized water. Experience. So you are examining something from logic that you have not yet had the pleasure of experiencing and seeing the health and lives of people change by the hundreds. Many of the scientists and doctors involved started from your position but opened up their mind enough to actually see the demonstration and drink the water and then began from that position of finding the supporting evidence to prove it, not disprove it...and they did! I do not need to become convinced scientifically. I do not need to go dig on the Internet to support my position, which of course you can, as I said there is a lot of misinformation and confusion. I have the benefit of having been the experiment myself. Medical school teaches drugs because the schools are funded by the pharmaceutical industry. Doctors become nothing but their shills. Medicine is taken from nature but modified and patented for profit. That industry is not interested in natural because they can't own it. Their profit comes from sick people, not well people so why in the world would they promote the idea that people should drink alkaline, ionized water and stay well? That is not to say all doctors are the same way. Some really do try to learn ways of helping people go to the root problem instead of treating the symptom. But they do it at their own peril.

It tends to reject ideas that do not lead to profit.It just takes an inquisitive mind to refuse to just except something from those communities as gospel because they say so. I prefer nature over drugs because nature has the answer. They have an agenda and it is not longer "do no harm". It is no longer "let your food be your medicine and your medicine be your food." It is money! And the love of money IS the root of all evil. It is a thriving industry so they are not likely to change. Oncologists when surveyed, have said they would not go through the same treatment they prescribe. Why? Because they know it doesn't work. It kills people. Yet each cancer patient is worth about half a million dollars to the medical complex. I just refuse to play in the arena. You can play all day if you wish. It is still, though less so, a free country. The medical complex has succeeded in taking information away and are soon to make getting vitamin C by prescription only. They will synthesize it and it will not work.

They take what God has perfectly made in nature as whole, dissect it and make it ineffective than call it a drug that we have to have.

Let us just agree that we come from two different camps. I prefer mine thank you very much.