Irene's Thread

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
THEFAN said:
4:48 a.m. and it just started raining steady. Light rain here and there all night from a rain front but now we are getting the start of the storm. 5 a.m and I'm up... WHAT THE HECK!!! I'm usually still sleeping til 8. ARGH!!!... WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!! Think I'll cook some breakfast. :clap YEAH FOR ME!!!
Enjoy your breakfast. Glad you're doing okay.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
THEFAN said:
4:48 a.m. and it just started raining steady. Light rain here and there all night from a rain front but now we are getting the start of the storm. 5 a.m and I'm up... WHAT THE HECK!!! I'm usually still sleeping til 8. ARGH!!!... WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!! Think I'll cook some breakfast. :clap YEAH FOR ME!!!
Cook some for me while you're at it! I should not be up yet. After all, it's still dark out, DH is still asleep, and there's nothing I can do right now. I think the worst of the storm is over. I'm hoping I can get to the farm by late morning, early afternoon. And once there, I'll stay for a bit so I don't have to go out 2x. If I'm there for a couple of hours, that should be enough time so Stormy can get his 2nd feeding.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Morning all! Hooray for daylight! Not much damage here. There's a tree down in the neighboring property to ours, but nothing here it looks like. Rain has slacked off a good bit, but the wind is still sticking around. We lost power for a little over an hour between 4-5AM but then it came back on. Time to go check on all the animals and make sure they're fed and comfy. Hope you all up north are going to do ok today! I am pretty sure Irene wasn't nearly as bad as "they" made us think, but maybe that's just for our area.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Good morning, everyone- glad to hear everything passed you guys safely. Ours is just warming up here. It really looks like the center eye is going to go just about over us! :ep How often does that happen in Vermont??

It's been raining all night, and the wind is starting this morning. I couldn't sleep- it sounds like a blizzard. The sheer amount of rain that has fallen already is astounding! We are for sure going to have trees over from pulling out of saturated ground. Our last rain storm pulled up and blew over a huge lilac last week. The ground is still so saturated this isn't going to have anywhere to go. We live on a huge hill, so we won't flood, although our basement leaks under normal conditions. But in inches, rather than feet.

I suppose if our power goes out I will be grateful for the generator. Even though I didn't want it, and certainly didn't want the top-of-the-line most expensive propane generator we could find. I was told it would be good for adding resale value to the house.

I am not looking forward to trekking out to the barn to feed this morning.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Morning folks! Glad to see everyone has checked in and seems to be doing okay through this. :woot I noticed a few trees down on the news. Looks like it is minor issues for now though. I hope the flooding does not get too bad. That's going to be the worst part I believe.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Heading out to milk before it gets too bad.....Just rain right now.
Wear a helmet :lol: Seriously, watch for falling limbs and debris...it kills more folks in this kind of weather than anything else.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I did find a couple of downed trees, but they're small (tall but thin) and invasive so good riddance. :p

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I think I'm going to drive down the hill to the barn. The wind isn't steady, but we have gotten some periods of roaring gusts.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
The Hudson is flooding into lower Manhattan :ep They're saying the East river will flood too. That's gonna suck come Monday :hide At least most NY'ers had the sense to get out.