Irene's Thread

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
nope, no city water if theres a city wide power out...
however you could loose power at your place but as long as the plant still has power you should be fine...itll only be a problem if the entire area looses power.

least thats what i was told by our city water plant :D

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think even if nothing much happens (depending on where you are), this kind of thing is good to make you think about how prepared you really are. One of these days "this is not a drill!" will be true. As Dave Ramsey often says, it's not IF Murphy comes to visit, it's WHEN (paraphrasing). I was very pleased that I could go thru my mental checklist & think "check, check, check, & CHECK!" The only unusual thing we did this week was tie down the lawn furniture & put the stray garden utensil in the shed. (*pats self on back*) :cool:

(Now watch, I'll be the only one on the forum who gets a pine tree thru her house. :/ )

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Our town water usually does work when the power is out. I believe the pumping station has generators.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Oh boy, I feel for you guys, and I know how you feel right now...I grew up near the gulf coast of TX. I've been through more hurricanes than I can remember. Sometimes "the waiting" is the hardest part, waiting for it to hit and waiting for it to be over. I'll be thinking of you guys and checking in on this thread often. Stay safe!! :hugs

Free, when our power was knocked out by Ike for 11 days we still had running water. That was downtown Houston. Cold showers were all that kept us sane during those hot 11 days.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
For as long as there is water in the water tower, the town should have water, it is gravity fed from the water tower from what I am told. It is refilling it that is the probem, but most towns have generators for that..

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Didn't the predictions a week ago have Irene at Cat-3 for about this this time? Last time I looked, The wind speed indicated a CAT-2 on the lower side of the scale. Maybe some good news?

A hurricane of any strength is something I personally don't want to mess with, but maybe our East Coast friends might be catching a break?

OrganicKale

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am outside of Philadelphia and I am taking the rosebush off the entryway landing.

I always have plenty of food, etc. on hand- I don't do the french toast runs like so many people do before storms.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
OrganicKale said:
I am outside of Philadelphia and I am taking the rosebush off the entryway landing.

I always have plenty of food, etc. on hand- I don't do the french toast runs like so many people do before storms.
Which state? I'm about 1/2 hour from the WW bridge, and it's almost a straight run from there to my house.

I don't know how she's tracking for my area, haven't checked since I got in. I'm not quite done prepping, but it's not supposed to get bad until later tomorrow, so I'll finish then. I've done almost nothing at home. But, this is what I've done at the farm.

Put a ton of stuff in my horse trailer. Made sure the wood I have for some projects was covered. Help RU get out some RBs-including one in my field. Took a livestock crayon and wrote my name and phone number, as well as the horse's name on each horse. RU already had a bunch of containers filled w/water, I filled one more. Put an extra litter box in my tack shed. I still need to put something over the windows of my tack shed, like plastic. Otherwise, I could get water in there. Plus, I'm going to tie ropes over top of my hay shelter and RBs. I'm hoping that will help keep the tarps down. I got 10 gallons of gas for the generator. The truck was filled yesterday. I filled my bike up today, and got an extra gallon for just in case. As for food, I got a pot roast. I'll cook that in the crock pot on Sunday. That way, it won't matter if we lose power. W/the generator running, I'll still be able to cook it.

OrganicKale

Power Conserver
Reaction score
DD-I am in PA outside of Philly. I live in a townhouse and don't have an outside to worry about, other than my rosebush.

Latest posts