Irene's Thread

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our thoughts are with you all. Hoping for the best!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
So far, it's still quiet here. I'll be heading out in a bit to feed the horses, and tie down the tarps, then come home and finish prepping here. Not looking forward to all this. :/

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Just got back in from morning chores. Got the hay in the barn, check.

I wish the forcasters would make up their mind with the strength for when it gets here. It keeps switching between Cat 1 and TS. Either way this island will be an interesting sight come Tuesday.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
The storm is weakening thankfully. Glad you all are okay! Even with a TS or Cat 1 it's gonna be a rough ride. I sat through Hurricane Floyd in Savannah GA years ago, and the rain blowing sideways was a little unnerving and that was just an outer band. These things dump a load of water regardless of strength. I hope everyone stays safe and damage is minimal. Will be praying for you all, and your neighbors. Our thoughts and prayers are very definately with you all. :hugs Stay safe friends!!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I hope you are all riding this out okay. Our news is reporting it is a category 1 at this point, but that sounds pretty windy and they are predicting flooding. I hope you all keep safe and dry!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm done all the stuff outside. I did some of it in the rain. It hasn't gotten windy here, yet, just raining gently. I'll be going back to the farm later to give Stormy his second feeding, and check the cats.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
One thing I saw a bit earlier on the weather channel. There was a tornado reported in NC. I did not realize a hurricane could cause a tornado. :idunno

Be safe.

G
Tornadoes are one of the worst side effects of hurricanes.... especially on the NE quadrant of the storm where the bands are "spinning off" away from the eye. If you look at a graphic of the storm it's easier to imagine.

I didn't read every single post all the way through so some of this may have been mentioned already (sorry :) ). According to the weather right now it looks like a Cat 1 in most places, but if you aren't used to it or prepared that can still be a PITA.

- Don't run your generators inside or under covered areas connected to the house (ie garage). Carbon monoxide WILL build up in your home and kill you and your loved ones. We usually set it on blocks outside to keep it out of the mud / water and if it is still raining some we build an A frame shelter for it.

- Freeze bottles of potable water and fill every open spot in your freezers. Full freezers hold the "freeze" longer, plus you will have cold water and ice (which if you lose power for 4 weeks like we did with Ivan you will thank God in Heaven for ice). no peeking! We only run the generator a couple of a hours a day and never lost anything from the freezer

- Fill up your car gas tanks now if you haven't already. After Ivan we had mile long waits for the gas pumps, only for folks to find out the pumps were empty by the time they go there

- If you have picked up your yard to protect against the flying debris, water is the most dangerous thing in a hurricane. Floods, flash floods, soaking through little unknown leaks in the roof,etc. When you are out driving after the storm (which you shouldn't be, but most people do anyway) remember "Turn around, don't drown" if there is water across the road.

Be safe and enjoy the storm! I love them (just not the aftermath)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
First fatality has been reported in inland NC :( A man went outside for whatever reason and got hit and killed by a falling tree limb. Please stay indoors and protected folks :hugs

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Just got back home from a last minute grocery store trip. Can you believe Foodlion no longer sells Twizzlers?!! :rant We're ready and waiting here. All the animals are in the barn. The turkeys are in the back of the pick-up truck (truck has a cap) because they were too big to go in the chicken coop and the barn is pretty full right now! They're cozy in there though. :) I'm going to do some baking so DH can take some treats to work to share with the guys when he gets called in. I'm also going to make some soup....a pot of venison, kale, and barley. My knitting is ready, movie is ready, and wine is chilling. :D

It has been raining for a few hours now. Light winds, but nothing major yet. Storm is still pretty far south. We're under a tornado watch until 8pm.