IRON Money!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Another recycle and make money deal.

Scrap iron.

I know some members do this already like Pam. (Homesteadmom).

Tony and I just walked the barn and carport area where I am banking up my scrap metal. Old BBQ, old riding lawn mower, old push mower, metal farm equipment pieces, old truck tailgate, old metal racks, etc. etc. etc.

I told him we have to make a scrap metal run soon, cause I have to get this type of stuff done BEFORE early spring. Once planting starts there is no time for anything, cause hay comes right after, then into summer and --well, ya'll know--busy time for farms.

BUT----everyone remember. Scrap metal means money. And it is recycled then.

Being SS means making the most of everything you own or can lay your hands on!!! Everything you own has value. So for me I will be making some decent money to haul this to the metal scrap yard!

just throwing out ideas for all to remember.....if we paid for it once, or even acquired it free, in the end it could make us money back again!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Great idea if you have the space. We have a customer that makes his living doing free hauling of metal items and recycling the metal.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We collect up aluminum cans and haul in scrap as well. Anything we aren't using anymore we go over if we can make $ out of it before we decide to toss it or not. OR we look to see if we can make another use for it, etc.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My dad had a funny experience with the scrap yard not too long ago. His church had an ancient photocopier that they needed to dispose of. I guess most of the body was made of metal? Anyway the regular "dump" wanted something like $100 to take it, but one of their employees suggested taking it to a certain "recycling center." He told my dad that their fee would be somewhat less. At this point my dad is a little sick of hauling the thing around and he figures he'll pay whatever they charge because he's just wasting time and gas looking for a better deal.

So he drives his truck in and they unload the machine onto a scale, do some calculations with the computer and said, "well it looks like 14 dollars." And he's like PHEW that's a whole lot better than $100! As he's getting out his wallet, they slap $14 dollars on the counter for him. He couldn't believe it. So he drove right back to the church and gave them their money :)

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
I was wondering what to do with the old 1970's lawnmower that the previous owners of our property left! Thanks!! :thumbsup

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I have a small 4 X 6 trailer that I park outside my shop door, and toss any old car parts that have no core value into. I need to make a run to the scrap yard this week. The trailer is overflowing! LOL!

hobobrando

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My uncle had been saving scrap copper from his plumbing jobs for this purpose. Someone broke into his garage and stole the $700 worth of copper he had stashed away.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have tons of scrap metal hanging out by the barn... You know those old metal tracks that hang off the ceiling that hold a big metal bucket fo hauling manure out? we have one of those we don't use.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
hobobrando said:
My uncle had been saving scrap copper from his plumbing jobs for this purpose. Someone broke into his garage and stole the $700 worth of copper he had stashed away.
Here because of copper thefts they limit how much you can sell at a time & they make you show id & sign a regiestry. Up in Phx they even had a guy die from electrocution after climbing a pole to get the copper wire from a transformer($20 worth).

dddct

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My hubby works for an electric motor shop and they use copper wire to rewind motors and take the scrap to the yard for cash. He said the guys running the scrap yards all carry guns because some places have been robbed. They also now take a copy of ID's. A few months ago the local police were going around checking security in some places because a few shops were robbed.