IRON Money!

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, our family has done this also. It is a ton of work, but old fences, old mattresses, old car hood, etc can be gathered and hauled down to the recycling center if they take bulk metals. The price was up a few months ago, dropped for a while and I think it is going up again. We cleaned out a friend's farm and woods. Made a good bit of money and split it with the owner of the property.
Lin

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Okiemommy said:
I was wondering what to do with the old 1970's lawnmower that the previous owners of our property left! Thanks!! :thumbsup
Dh had an old 70's mower that he gave a guy for fixing his good mower. The guy called the next day to say that while he was hauling the mower on his trailer, someone stopped him and offered him $500 for it. He was a collector. Try listing that mower, might get more than scrap prices for it.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
Dh had an old 70's mower that he gave a guy for fixing his good mower. The guy called the next day to say that while he was hauling the mower on his trailer, someone stopped him and offered him $500 for it. He was a collector. Try listing that mower, might get more than scrap prices for it.
:th :th

oh wow! No way!! Will do!! Thanks for the advice!! :thumbsup :D:D :hugs

Cybercat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I can't resist making a comment here. When I saw the title of the thread, I thought you were going to discuss "IRONING dollar bills...DUH"!:rolleyes:

And my second comment is...

Here in Oregon the meth addicts are stealing metal and copper wiring EVERYWHERE...It is a HUGE problem. They even stole metal and metal off some streetlights on the Interstate. They also have taken plaques off some very old historic headstones. It might be worth having a bill of sale or something if you are re-selling some odd pieces.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Cybercat said:
I can't resist making a comment here. When I saw the title of the thread, I thought you were going to discuss "IRONING dollar bills...DUH"!:rolleyes:

And my second comment is...

Here in Oregon the meth addicts are stealing metal and copper wiring EVERYWHERE...It is a HUGE problem. They even stole metal and metal off some streetlights on the Interstate. They also have taken plaques off some very old historic headstones. It might be worth having a bill of sale or something if you are re-selling some odd pieces.
LOL-LOL--you had me laughing about the title! :)

WOW that is so sad. Nowadays even if it is nailed down or screwed to a wall they will pry it off and steal it. "sigh"

They are breaking into cars on my road at night. 3 people had their cars rifled thru...dash, console etc. I guess looking for any type of money etc. Hmmm....they didn't take radios or anything and good thing I have my front light on at night and my vehicles LOCKED!

Shame isn't it. Nothing is safe honestly in this world I guess.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
How we do this is when we have a whole lot of it, dh goes to the local scrap yard guy(we've known him for yrs) & requests a dumpster, they bring it out & drop it where ever we want it on the property, we fill it up & call him when it is ready. then after he hauls it up to Phx & sells it he calls us to let us know to come get our cut(he keeps a precentage I believe it is 10% plus the dumpster charge of $50). Last time we got over $350 for it. Plus dh loads stuff on his flat bed trailer & hauls it to another scrap yard too sometimes. In fact he has been gathering up a bunch of it again to load up the trailer soon.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
How we do this is when we have a whole lot of it, dh goes to the local scrap yard guy(we've known him for yrs) & requests a dumpster, they bring it out & drop it where ever we want it on the property, we fill it up & call him when it is ready. then after he hauls it up to Phx & sells it he calls us to let us know to come get our cut(he keeps a precentage I believe it is 10% plus the dumpster charge of $50). Last time we got over $350 for it. Plus dh loads stuff on his flat bed trailer & hauls it to another scrap yard too sometimes. In fact he has been gathering up a bunch of it again to load up the trailer soon.
You got it "happening" there Pam.

We just load it all and drive it over...and make money..LOL

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
equipment that has broken down & not fixable, scraps left over from projects that are not big enough to use for something else, etc.

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A lot of older farms never brought their garbage or their old machinery or old fencing to dumps, etc. They just piled it into the woods or in a spot on the property. It rusts away with time. but we were able to pull out old chicken metal roofs, old trucks, old car pieces, fencing, posts. gates,
cans, steel drums, mattress and sofa springs. The hardest job we had was to get the old rubber off of old tire rimes, which if the rims are new enough the recyclers would pay per rim instead of by the pound at a better rate.
Our town is old and there are two dumps that were "the town dumps" , and people just left stuff in piles. there are years of leaves and mud on some of the stuff but can be worth the effort. There are also areas where people threw old tires in heap, sometimes into rivers, we have seen this when we were kayaking, and sometimes stop and pull them out so they can be recycled. If not by us then by someone else who is up on the environment or recycling.