IRS Refund??

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Anyone getting a good one?

I am. Like every year. I plan it tho. Hubby does not claim me or kiddo so come tax time we get alot back.

I hope ya'll out there are getting a nice check also?

I have to say this check is well needed. Putting most away for emergency fund /truck fund of course....spend a bit on vacations.

stubbornhillfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Nope! We like our money when we earn it and decide to do what with it then.

But I hope that your refund is a nice one and that you are able to do all that you are hoping for with it. I'm sure it is very nice when you see the check come in the mail, or the deposit go into the account! Yipee!

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We used to get a big refund, but when DH retired he changed it so we had more money per month.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I used to, but now that I'm running my own business and not paying in estimates, we probably will be about even. We also planned for refunds :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea :lol:

I love e-file with direct deposit.

one day I check my online bank statement and it is X and then the next day it is up by $6K

I sure do smile big!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do the same thing as your DH and so does my DH. Every year we wipe out bills plus buy a few things we need. This year will be great. In just a few days I find out how much I'm getting back. I plan on paying off EVERYTHING!!! I haven't been completely free since about 1992. Close, but not completely.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
When I was raising my kids, I'd choose the option wherein I would have a good balance of return vs. keeping my money. I used to let the government "save" it all for me but decided that I could sort of have my cake and eat it too.

Instead of claiming all I could so that they took out less on each paycheck or claiming zero so they took out more so I could receive more in the end, I just claimed a few during the year and then added the extra few during filing. Still gave me a decent return but I still took home more in my paycheck than I would have by claiming zero all year.

I had read in Reader's Digest why it was good to do this(actually saved you money in the long run by placing most of the money in your hands where it could earn some interest, whereas it only earns interest for the government while they "store" it for you) and have found it to be the best option while supporting the kids. Now that I have no dependents but myself, I just claim the zero.

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do my best to hit $0 owed and $0 refund each year and I'm usually really close to that. But this year - sheesh!

I got married, quit my job, put my house up for sale, moved to another state, can't find a job here, husband in graduate school, student loans... I have NO idea what the taxes will look like this year. :rolleyes:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think of course it is dependent on what the income is and how much you do save etc.

everyone will be so different in how they handle their income. incomes are so varied for so many reasons. there is no wrong or right way kinda :D it has to be what works best for the person.

I put alot in 401K
I put alot in regular savings
I put a good bit in emergency savings

ALL OF THE above I don't touch unless truly needed...so my big return at the end gives me that 'add to truck fund', vacation money to blow and more.

truly this refund is always a wonderful yearly boost for us. I have to say I am one of those who thoroughly enjoys getting a big fat refund each year and it makes me super happy :lol: I am never shy about saying I like money ;)

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd rather invest the money during the year... paycheck by paycheck... even if I'm just saving for something I want, that way I'm making the interest on my own money, not the government. I just set up automatic withdrawals for the savings.

Of course now I'm unemployed so it isn't an issue for me anymore, I don't have any money coming in... lol

I also owe the government money for student loans, so they confiscate any returns I would be getting to put the money toward my student loans... so it pays a lot more for me to aim for a $0 return :)