Is anybody here as afraid as I am?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
1)Don't use credit

2) Make it a personal challenge to see how many things you can avoid buying new (make, recycle, buy secondhand, find workaround).

3) School yourself to ignore what the advertising and manufactering industries and the media instruct us our lives should be like.

and 4) Learn skills that do not require any equipment or materials manufactured after 1920. (sewing, basic carpentry, use of axe, basic cooking, gardening, etc)

And you'll be pretty darn self sufficient if need be :)

JMHO,

Pat

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Inchworm--great question. Everyone has had great ideas! I guess a way to start would be to ask yourself what matters to you most:

1. Self sufficiency for a feeling of security, pride?
2. SS to save money?
3. SS to reduce environmental impact?

These are just a few. If money or environment matters most, that might impact what you choose to start with. My sister and her family have 1 vehicle. That means she bikes her kids to preschool in the winter when the car is in use. It means I don't get to see her every time I want to if her husband has the car that day. But, it saves them tremendous money and greatly diminishes their carbon footprint.

For me, I prioritize based on what I have around me. I'm in the country with lots of land and resources. It makes total sense for me to hang my laundry, heat with wood, have chickens, grow a large garden, forage and hunt (husband, actually). All these things save me money, keep my family healthier and reduce my impact on the earth. Plus, they make me feel darn proud of how self sufficient we've become!!

I love the mindset mentioned by Pat of challenging yourself to see how little you can get by on. I keep working on one thing (for example, canning) until it is a complete way of life, then move onto the next (like getting all clothes secondhand).

When looking back at the original thread title, I have to admit no fear at all. I feel so glad to be financially stable and able to help others out who don't have it so well right now. I know it could change easily, but living the way we do keeps us in such a better position than many...

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
1)Don't use credit-- working on this on

2) Make it a personal challenge to see how many things you can avoid buying new (make, recycle, buy secondhand, find workaround). check

3) School yourself to ignore what the advertising and manufactering industries and the media instruct us our lives should be like.check

and 4) Learn skills that do not require any equipment or materials manufactured after 1920. (sewing, basic carpentry, use of axe, basic cooking, gardening, etc) does this include power tools, Please? if so check, if not--a not very good check, but still a check

And you'll be pretty darn self sufficient if need be :)

JMHO,
Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have to admit that I avoided this thread since it's inception. I am not afraid. There are not alot of things out there that scare me. My husband says I am the least worried person he knows. I don't worry about anything I cannot change, and if I might be able to change it, it is my duty to try.

In my sheltered life, I live--by choice, inside a bubble of my own creation. I don't watch news except weather.

My theory is if it pokes my bubble, I will find out about it. I research things that I feel I need to know about--but not from TV anchor people, or even newspapers.

If something horrible is going to happen, the only thing I need to do is make sure I'm right with my Maker. And I am, so I'm good.

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If something horrible is going to happen, the only thing I need to do is make sure I'm right with my Maker. And I am, so I'm good.
Thank you, I liked that sentence. I've been stressing all day, and in the end thats all that matters :) . Sometimes I just need a reminder.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
My theory does not include stressing over the unknown but more being aware of possibilities and doing what I can to prepare for potential outcomes.

Since everything beyond this very minute is really unknown, all we can do is ponder the possibilities and formulate loose plans of how to handle certain situations...like an earthquake, wildfires or a tornado or economic collapse :/ .
Plan to be prepared and then rest knowing that you have done what is reasonable, go on and enjoy your life and know that it is in Gods hands.