Is anybody here as afraid as I am?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dace
great post
good way to see "it happening to us"--what I don't know but it is "slowly" coming! I sooooo agree.

I think "learning to live with less" is smart.

therefore our SS ways. survival is basic. in these over supplied, over abundant times, those who understand, "basic" will be fine!!!!! with less of a culture shock and change!

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm a newbie here and I'm wondering --- what do you do to get started? If you have littel bacground in slef-sufficiency -- what would be the first steps you would take to get prepared or to learn more?

Inchy

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I think starting gardening is good- when I first started I gardened in 5 gallon pails- or there are community gardens in a lot of palces.
Then thinking aout what you can do for yourself. Sew your own clothes , give your own hair cuts, etc.
Then look to basic foods that can be regularly uses like rice, beans etc that you can start keeping a little bit ahead. The mistake I first made was buying beans when I hate them- they never got used. I now stock ahead on what I use all the time- both gives practice to make things from basic ingredients and you'll have some if you need it.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Inchy
you ain't a true newbie to this SS ways....cause I saw some of your posts and you think basic. Basic is what it is about.

How "low can you go" in these times of "abundance" without succumbing to "having it all" mentality.

for me, basics are get a few chickens if you can. eggs and meat if needed. and fresh eggs are to die for vs. store bought! :)

second, just cut back in life. with everything. Do you need plastic baggies? maybe a few "one time" purchase of tupperware type things that can be reused is enough to do it for you.

buy local. support that economy locally. or better yet, make a garden!!! YUMMO big time

steps are so small to start...but the big thing is to think ahead...like all future purchases or projects, HOW can you improve, save money, go green etc. to make it worth it to you without stress.

GO !!!!!

hope some of that helps ya.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
. in these over supplied, over abundant times, those who understand, "basic" will be fine!!!!! with less of a culture shock and change!
I am seeing it in friends and relatives why rely on credit...something we do not do. I see people who I have always thought to be financially fit are worried about spending $400 to sign two kids up for softball on Dec....something they say they would normally have just put on their credit card. Now they are sweating. Learning to live on cash can be tough, but it is the safest choice. If I don't have it I can't spend it! Back to basics.... not a complex idea!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Inchy (nice nickname FC)

I agree with FarmerChick. Think back to how things used to be. Women baked bread and created home cooked meals...that saves a lot of money vs relying on fast food because you are on the go. To me SS means time to slow down and re-evaluate NEEDS vs WANTS. I find that we as a culture get so wrapped up in our WANTS that we become over extended financially and put ourselves at risk.

Some key aspects (in my opinion!) of SS-y:
Baking bread'cooking from scratch
Make meals and leftovers stretch as far as is reasonable (kind of fun really)
creating menus based on what is on hand and what is on sale
hanging laundry out to dry
Cutting lights, unplugging appliances
Condensing car trips to minimize gas usage
learning to knit & sew
Learn how to make do with less
Reduce reuse & recycle more
Candle making
Solar ovens
Canning
Gardening
Chickens
Rabbits
Worm bins
Wood piles
Solar
But it goes much deeper.

Just start anywhere...what are you comfortable with? Are you crafty? Commit to making homemade holiday gifts this year and save money and make the holiday more meaningful. Like to garden? Plan out next years garden and start investing in heirloom seeds to plant.
I think the important point is that Self Sufficiency is slightly different for us all, start onto the path with baby steps.

My Fave site.... http://www.pathtofreedom.com go to the journal tab and start reading!

And lastly .....hang out here. This is a great bunch of folks with a lot of great ideas to share :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Inchy (nice nickname FC)

LOL--inchworm gave that siggy to herself in other posts..LOL...I like it! :)

Your post is FAB! great info!!!!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hahaha...you are right, I hadn't noticed. I like it, reminds me of Seasame Street for some reason :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I know!:)
those little inchy worms competitng with each other..LOL
that comes to mind!
good user name..HA

If it was a guy, I doubt they would use that..HA HA HA

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Dace - I am with you on the NO CREDIT idea on every day items.
Being basicly debt free makes it so much easier to live.

Inchy, I have not had the pleasure of reading any of your other post so I don't know where you are with being SS. I think that small starts are easiest. Just sit down and write out a list of things you want to do. Put them in priority order and make the start. You will probably find that some things on your list go together and can be done at the same time. Or as you go along your priority list may change from time to time.