Is anybody here as afraid as I am?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
That's strange because the last grocery order I did I noticed that alot of the essentials like flour (which was up to $12.99 a bag is now down to $6.99) are coming down. There are all kinds of sales right now here. Mind you, you do have to watch some of them because I also noticed they are changing the packaging on some of it to smaller quantities. Some yes, some no

It's funny that this thread started this morning because I woke up in a bit of a tizzy this morning as well...well I heard also that the Japanese market took a real nosedive this morning...12.70% down...we close the DOW at -10%...and the DOW is apparently hurting too. Anyway, I was thinking this morning HOW COME NO OnE IS DISCUSSING THIS?????

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I gave up trying to talk about what is going on with the DOW awhile ago. My parents, DH, and FIL (and you Morel LOL) are the only people I talk about with. Everyone else seems to think I am off my rocker to be concerned.

Panicked, no, extremely concerned? Yes. I just keep praying that God will see us through until Spring!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
He will...MANNA!

My DH is still wearing his rose coloured glasses...and I am seeing alot of smoke and mirrors...makes for interesting conversation to say the least:>)

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Well, unlike the Israelites who complained about the Manna He provided, I will be very happy with mine! I don't mind eating Manna Bread if it means survivial!

Hmmm...Manaburgers, Manacakes....the list goes on and on.....lol

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Well, unlike the Israelites who complained about the Manna He provided, I will be very happy with mine! I don't mind eating Manna Bread if it means survivial!

I see you like Steve Green too huh? I love that song...

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I agree with the idea of being prepared. But the media has acted almost criminally in the past few months. They have almost single handedly caused mass panic in the world by reporting on speculation and making it sound like true fact. I think they are as guilty as wall street for the finical problems because they go to running their mouths about gas, food, cash flow and folks react thinking they may not be able to get gas or their money therefore compounding the problem. all that being said, put up food stuff and prepare your self for the possibility of bad times but don't give the scum the satisfaction of fear or panic.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Quail_Antwerp said:

I see you like Steve Green too huh? I love that song...
YES! LOL my mom raised me LISTENING to His music! That and Steve and Annie Chapman, Accappella...the list goes on!

My apologies to the OP for getting off topic!

hsm6kids

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Up until last Friday my husband worked for a window manufacturing company. As you may have guessed he no longer works there due to cut backs. He was one of the last guys to be let go and I am pretty sure the company is closing down. We have six kids and 2 of them are babies. Right now I am so glad that I breast feed and use cloth diapers or I probably would be more freaked out than I am.
I must admit it is a little scary wondering where the next paycheck will come from and when. Right now I am waiting for the phone company to shut the phone and Internet off. It will be missed but it just isn't a necessity and we can't afford the bill. I am just going to concentrate on the things I can do and not think about the things I can't do. DH starts a new job as a corrections officer in February so by the Grace of God this is temporary. I have been telling the kids that we need to work together and re evaluate what is a need and what is a want. I am going to be supporting us on 240.00 a week for a family of 8. I see it as a challenge and as something that can be done so I will do it.
Construction is not a good industry to be working in right now with the housing market the way it is, at least not in our neck of the woods. Last year DH was working 50+ hours a week, in the last few months he was lucky to work 30. Of course there is always work around here for him to do and I assured him he would not be bored. LOL My glass is half full for sure.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
hsm6kids, I applaud your positive attitude! So many others in your position would be panicking and not know what they are going to do.

Your positive attitude is a great thing to have.

I breastfeed, too, and I have cloth diapers for emergencies.

May I ask, do you have twins? Just because you said you have two babies. :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Groceries sure aren't getting less expensive in this part of the province (!).

Sure, some things are on sale, but you know they just rotate through their big ol' schedule of Things Going On Sale and this is just the part of it we're in right now. There's always *something* on sale, partly predictable according to the seasons and partly just 'periodically' for a given product. I assure you flour goes on sale once or twice a year; I usually try to stock up then. Canned goods will go on massive sale in January or so IIRC; chicken and pork are most apt to be on deep sale in the late spring IIRC; etcetera.

I am hard-pressed to figure out how a weakening economy would cause lower grocery prices anyhow - it generally goes the other way.

Pat