Is it ok to feed chickens old milk?

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We inevitably always have goat milk that doesn't get used in time and have just been giving it to the chickens. And honestly, some days it has been so hot outside that it curdles while in the container. They seem to love it even more then. Is it ok that they're drinking that? None of them has ever gotten sick. So I really never thought a thing about it.

Then I mentioned it to a coworker today and she looked horrified. Saying, "They eat all that junk and then you eat their eggs?" Granted it can't be much worse than what commercial chickens are getting. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on this. :)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Kala said:
We inevitably always have goat milk that doesn't get used in time and have just been giving it to the chickens. And honestly, some days it has been so hot outside that it curdles while in the container. They seem to love it even more then. Is it ok that they're drinking that? None of them has ever gotten sick. So I really never thought a thing about it.

Then I mentioned it to a coworker today and she looked horrified. Saying, "They eat all that junk and then you eat their eggs?" Granted it can't be much worse than what commercial chickens are getting. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on this. :)
You are doing it right. Let it clabber up, and then feed it to them!

Your poor coworker :hit
Its not junk. That is how good cheese is made!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
All that junk?? What, all that calcium and protein? I would venture a guess you co-worker doesn't eat real eggs from well fed hens?

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good to hear! I thought that it would be ok. Everything I read said that the first step to making good cheese is to "mess it up first." Lol. So I didn't think it could be that bad for them. There are seriously days they wait until it curdles more to drink it.

It just really freaked me out for a minute when she said that and I didn't really have a good answer for her. And then later I started thinking about all the things I had read that were to the contrary.

We sometimes feed them fruit or something too that has bad spots on them to the point that we don't want to eat it. I mean, nothing is ever covered in mold or anything like that. Just a little "too fresh" for us. :)

I'll have to let her know that tommorrow. Lol. I suddenly felt like a bad chicken owner or something. Oh well, guess I can count her off the egg buying list. ;)

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
valmom said:
All that junk?? What, all that calcium and protein? I would venture a guess you co-worker doesn't eat real eggs from well fed hens?
Hard eggs shells for my girls! :lol:

Sadly she does buy eggs from another coworker. But I don't think she has ever asked her what she feeds them. As a matter of fact, I don't even know what she feeds them.

I'm coming to the slow realization how out of touch people (including myself!) are with their food sources, supplies and how it is made. I shudder a little when I think about the junk I used to eat.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yup, it is horrifying at first when you start to get in touch with your food.....when it becomes a habit, however, it is quite freeing. Until you have to go eat at someone's house or at a wedding or a restaurant.....ick. Fake food will eventually taste....fake. Can't believe I used to eat that stuff......I was the worst of the worse, believe me.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Yup, it is horrifying at first when you start to get in touch with your food.....when it becomes a habit, however, it is quite freeing. Until you have to go eat at someone's house or at a wedding or a restaurant.....ick. Fake food will eventually taste....fake. Can't believe I used to eat that stuff......I was the worst of the worse, believe me.
We're definetely getting to that point. I ate eggs at my moms house the other day :sick And I made myself a grilled cheese sandwich at my aunts the other day...i.e. orange cheese slices wrapped in clear plastic with white bread and margarine...major :sick :sick :sick

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
have you ever fed your chickens any leftover chicken? that's a fun one to tell about, usually puts sheer horror on their faces :D i'm amazed at how many people think chickens are vegetarian. purina even has a feed that boasts about not having any animal products in it.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Kala said:
freemotion said:
We're definetely getting to that point. I ate eggs at my moms house the other day :sick And I made myself a grilled cheese sandwich at my aunts the other day...i.e. orange cheese slices wrapped in clear plastic with white bread and margarine...major :sick :sick :sick
Ugh! There aren't enough green blech faces in the world for that one! :sick

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mine love cottage cheese but mine is store bought.. haven't learned to make cheese yet have recipes just gotta get supplies and get milk from store or get some goats milk from lady at church... I'm getting 1/2 gallon from her right now but I drink it LOL..

I give the girls a couple spoonfuls of cottage cheese as a treat or bribe to get them to go in early...