Is it ok to feed chickens old milk?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ha! wait until your hennies eat a mouse or a frog or something ... now THATS gross... a little curdled milk aint nothin'

;-)

ps and yeah they like it better. i like to make 'chicken cheese' - i take whey from making cheese, add goat milk and let it sit over nite.. then voila - cheese for the chickens the next morning!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your coworker is obviously unaware of the fact that chickens eat their own poop. And that absolutely the best eggs come from chickens allowed to eat bugs.

:lol:

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have 2 regular customers who are very particular about their eggs, they always ask me what I feed them because they eggs are so much better than the farm market eggs or other farms, I honestly say everything we don't eat the chickens eat. I do not put meat in the chicken bucket (i cook that down for the dogs) but everything else, old milk, cooking scraps, yogurt, the fuzzy stuff off the top of my ferments, not a sick chicken and some of the orangest, firmest yolks. I even dump wood ash in their run and they pick at the charcoal. I work for a caterer and bring home all kinds of stuff, more than once my chickens got an entire sheet cake, takes them a couple days to eat it and I am sure the buttercream frosting isn't staying fresh in the 90 degree weather, lol.

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a friend who feeds her chickens a gallon of milk in the am.......I have given mine 1/2 gallon fortified with bran and make a mush for them they love it.....put starter grower in it too....they love it and are very healthy ... too hot here for eggs... Louisiana 100 yesterday.....alaska sounds pretty good to me right now...Take care.....G