Is it really that hard?

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just can't imagine for cats. I would buy the one bag of food every 2 weeks, for the 2 cats I had. One was a 25# maine coon male.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My cats must not have been big eaters. Even with a tom and a queen, I went through a 20lb bag in like 2-3 months. Expensive crap too... Castor and Pullox (well, not crap, it was top of the line feed).

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow. $35 a week on cats. Come on, how many? :lol: total inside and out

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i was on ebt

the 4 of us got 630 a month which is doable..........if you buy the neccessities....not all the other crap like snacks and prepackaged meals

people say well why dont they use coupons....i have...doesnt help...unless your buying that crap listed above...when someone tells me to use coupons i just look at them like im an ostrich...REALLY man your genius...

out of that 630 we got every month we would have about 100 left for snacks.....i only bought snacks when my card was about to be reloaded..

just to buy the items i need to make lunches runs about 20 a week.

here in south carolina you cant use your ebt card for cigs or beer or anything inedible if you only get ebt....however you can buy cigs and beer and other nonedibles if you also get ebt and a "check" from the govmt

i buy meat usually in the early morning hours when the store has put coupons on them..............GROUND BEEF THIS MORNING WAS 3.49 and when i bought 3.68 pounds it had a store coupon for 2.50 the pack

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thats not the way it works here

when i got 630 a month if i only spent 30 in that month the remainder rolled over to the next month

DianeS said:
Oh, there's one more thing I forgot. At least around here, the money you are given each month is for that month only. It expires at the end of the month. So there isn't the ability to spend less one month so you can buy better and healthier items next month. It's use it or lose it. I wish it didn't work that way. I understand why it does, and I don't know how to avoid the problems that would come with changing it. But at the same time it would be nice to encourage savings, and the ability to stock up on healthier items that may cost more.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Tomorrow it's supposed to rain. And, since I won't be able to do much outside I'm thinking I just might go to the town where all the supermarkets are. I don't plan to buy anything, just to see what I could buy in each one for $35.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good plan Deb. I can usually guess to the dollar amount how much my totals will run, in my shopping cart. Used to drive the ex nutso ....cause I did it all in my head, rolling totals..and after a while, you just know how much things will add up to.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moxies_chickennuggets said:
Good plan Deb. I can usually guess to the dollar amount how much my totals will run, in my shopping cart. Used to drive the ex nutso ....cause I did it all in my head, rolling totals..and after a while, you just know how much things will add up to.
Lol! I do that too! Even at the auction, I put a price at about what everything sells at, and I'm pretty accurate most of the time at the auction... Except when you get newbies in there who spend a fortune on everything, that messes it up a bit.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I used to be able to do that, but haven't done it in awhile. While I was working, I'll admit to probably spending more on food than I should have. More often than not, it was a matter of grab and go.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea grab and go can cost you. especially when you go and FORGET what you have in the pantry. I would stare at an item, DO I NEED THAT for the dinner I am making tomorrow or do I have it already in the pantry. :rolleyes: I buy it, come home and see I have 4 in the pantry :p

I now use a list along with any coupons. I don't go willy nilly into a grocery anymore. AND heavens don't bring a kid :lol: