Is it really that hard?

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
elija, 630 a month for 4 peple, thats over $150 per person per month, thats actualy quite high. what state if you dont mind me asking.
As i said, where i am now...i would get $88 a month to feed myself, thats it and has to cover sales tax too. it does roll over for 1 year and then you loose it.
in ct i would however have gotten about $120 a month to feed myself, which is funny because i havent notice any real difference in the cost of food and the sales tax is higher here than it is in CT.

and the journalist who did the food stamp experiment gave himself his areas common per person amount fo $176 for the month and if i remember right hes in louisiana
so regionally seems theres a HUGE difference in amounts, its a big jump between someone living on $22 a week and someone else living on double that.
http://articles.cnn.com/2009-01-30/...log_1_food-stamps-sandwiches-stories?_s=PM:US
(his last week) couldnt find the earlier blog posts but im sure you could with some digging)

as i said, ive seen a huge difference in Food stamp amount based on reigion, but moving from New england to "the south" i havent seen a real difference in the amount food costs, milk is still almost $4 a gallon. a lb of chicken things still about .70/lb depending on quality, so why such a huge difference based on state...simply govt funding available i guess.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
south carolina

i was getting child support of 700 a month

the only bills i had was mortgage 460...lights about 150.....water about 40...sewer at 44 a month

pinkfox said:
elija, 630 a month for 4 peple, thats over $150 per person per month, thats actualy quite high. what state if you dont mind me asking.
As i said, where i am now...i would get $88 a month to feed myself, thats it and has to cover sales tax too. it does roll over for 1 year and then you loose it.
in ct i would however have gotten about $120 a month to feed myself, which is funny because i havent notice any real difference in the cost of food and the sales tax is higher here than it is in CT.

and the journalist who did the food stamp experiment gave himself his areas common per person amount fo $176 for the month and if i remember right hes in louisiana
so regionally seems theres a HUGE difference in amounts, its a big jump between someone living on $22 a week and someone else living on double that.
http://articles.cnn.com/2009-01-30/...log_1_food-stamps-sandwiches-stories?_s=PM:US
(his last week) couldnt find the earlier blog posts but im sure you could with some digging)

as i said, ive seen a huge difference in Food stamp amount based on reigion, but moving from New england to "the south" i havent seen a real difference in the amount food costs, milk is still almost $4 a gallon. a lb of chicken things still about .70/lb depending on quality, so why such a huge difference based on state...simply govt funding available i guess.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Eesh, wish I could get $700 in child support. Past six months I haven't gotten anything, until just now, when I checked today. I am supposed to get $383/month for two kids.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the 700 is for 2 kids but i have not requested a review in 6 years......but boy oh boy if i went in for a review i would be getting 1100 for 2 kids....i just recently started getting support for my other child and he only owes 30k more...

Bettacreek said:
Eesh, wish I could get $700 in child support. Past six months I haven't gotten anything, until just now, when I checked today. I am supposed to get $383/month for two kids.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My ex is a total piece of crap. I have only found one other person who got less per month than I do (though I'm not sure I believe her, she says she gets $10 per month, but the minimum for this state is $150). I was getting $150/month for awhile, then I took him in for a review and it went up. He hasn't worked in six months, so he wasn't paying jack crap. He's seriously such a worthless brat. Ok, sorry for the huge rant! He just makes me ill. :sick

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sometimes if the one with the kids is making more than the one without the Palimoney (money paid from wife to husband rather than vise versa) is taken off the owed child support...so say he owes $700 a month in child support but you ow him $500 a month in palimoney, then hed only be paying $200 a monht total in chicld support
Least thats how it worked in CT for my ex when he got divorced, she made alot more than him but he had to pay child support by the time all was said and done he paid her $10 a month.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
girl my first childs dad is like that....he would search out jobs that paid under the table so he wouldnt have to pay support...in and out of jail for non payment....now he pays....i said to him....now if only your were paying support for the last 10 years you wouldnt have to look over your shoulder for the police FOR 10 FRICKING YEARS..i made him a deal though...told him if he pays for a straight year i would have the state clear his back child support of a whopping 30k...cause i know i will never get 30k out of him EVER

Bettacreek said:
My ex is a total piece of crap. I have only found one other person who got less per month than I do (though I'm not sure I believe her, she says she gets $10 per month, but the minimum for this state is $150). I was getting $150/month for awhile, then I took him in for a review and it went up. He hasn't worked in six months, so he wasn't paying jack crap. He's seriously such a worthless brat. Ok, sorry for the huge rant! He just makes me ill. :sick

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That might be a possibility. She works at the prison, so she should make decent money (though she's always begging to borrow money).

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Pinky, they charge sales tax on food where you are? They don't charge sales tax on basic food, but if you buy something packaged, yeah, they charge tax.