Is it really that hard?

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I volunteer at a food bank near where I live, and have for about 6 months now. When I started doing that I learned a LOT. Of course not everything I've learned applies to everyone, but if even one or two things applies to a family, then suddenly it gets very hard to provide good food for your family at a reasonable cost.

For one thing, I have been startled at the number of families that come in to the food bank who simply don't know how to cook. Nobody ever taught them, and it's a new idea to some of them. You'll put a bag of rice in their box and they'll say "how do you cook that?" They're willing to learn, but at the moment that they need food, they don't know and have no way to learn.

I have learned that many families have no access to cooking facilities other than a microwave. Maybe they're living in their camper. Or they are renting a room from someone who doesn't want them using the kitchen. Or the stove broke and they can't afford a replacement. Whatever the reason, if it can't be eaten raw or cooked in a microwave, they can't eat it. So they stock up on lots of pasta, rice, bread, canned veggies - and single-serve meats. Prepackaged beef stew. Ravioli. Spaghetti-Os. Sometimes fish sticks. Prepackaged meat at every meal adds up quickly.

Then there is the other side of it, where a family does not have any way to keep food cold. Their refrigerator died and they can't afford another one. Or they're living out of their car. Costs add up when you have to buy milk every other day by the quart, instead of being able to buy once a week by the gallon. Or when you have to purchase things in smaller packs, rather than family style. Not to mention having to throw away leftovers instead of saving them for the next day.

Another thing I had to realize is how transient many of these people have to live their lives. They live in the cheapest apartments, or with friends or family. Often in places where they may be asked to leave with very little notice. While someone stable can live on the amount given by food stamps, it is not so easy to do when you have to keep starting over. If you've been sharing a house (and expenses) with your cousin for a few months, and he kicks you out, it seems nobody thinks to go through the kitchen cabinets and say "I brought this can of beans, and you brought that one". So many things get left behind.

Distance is a factor, too. Not everyone lives in an area with a decent-sized grocery store. And not everyone has a car to use for a grocery run. If your grocery store is the corner convenience store because that is all you can reach on foot or on bicycle, or your tiny grocery store doesn't carry a variety, you get pretty stuck.

Starting with the things we already have in our refrigerators makes it easy. We can cook up some ground beef and put ketchup on it. Some chicken and put salt and pepper on it. A head of lettuce and put salad dressing on it. Some bread and put butter on it. I can - and do - have less than $35 per person per week in my grocery budget.

But what choices would we have to make if we were starting without the stores we already have? Forget about the garden and such, but ALSO forget about the things already in your fridge or cabinets. Start from zero, with $35 per person in your pocket. Could you feed everyone for a week with that, assuming you either had to buy condiments or do without them? A gallon of milk, a pound of butter, a bottle of salad dressing, salt, pepper, maybe some other spices - THEN start picking actual food items. It's harder. And then what if one of those problems applied to you - like lack of refrigeration? Would you buy 5 lbs of ice to use in a cooler (that will last for 3-4 days until it needs purchased again) or would you buy smaller and more expensive items?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Very good points, Diane. I've sometimes thought that along w/food stamps, people should be required to learn how to cook if they don't know how, and how to pick good food choices. If you're coming from a family that's always been on welfare, chances are, you're not going to know how to cook properly and how to make good food choices.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
grapes for under $2.50 a lb...realy?! i need to live there! our cheapest banannas have been 52c/lb, (normal is closer to 60c)
i havent realy checked the price of ground beef lately but the last pack i bought was 2.69/lb on "buy and use today" sale.
cheapest chicken ive found was .69 but that was only for the pre-frozen 10lb bags...

then theres the stocking up to MAKE the food...

its all well and good saying "learn to cook" but as pointed out, assum you have NO stock in your cabinates...you want to bake your own bread because its cheaper in the long run...but in order to bake bread you need flour and yeast ect...
that 10lbs of chicken is great, but what do you serve it with?! ect...
spices are expensive, salt pepper, garlic, are basics and still qute exensive, want cinnamon or nutmeg or cumin or curry...ect...well theres $2+ dollars per spice that you now dont have for chicken to go with it...
yeah itll last you a while and youll get more out of it in the long run for less price, BUT youve got that upfront cost that adds up quickly and takes out of the rest of your food budget.
if that makes sense

when ALL you have is an empty cabinate and $25 to last you the week, stocking up isnt easy...
you have to decide what you NEED vs what you want...you may want a freezer full of meat and a fridge full of healthy salad fixings and fruit, but what you can afford might be canned tuna, rice and beans...

not arguing, just trying to show from a slightly different perception...if you had to start 100% from scratch, nothing in your pantry, freezer or fridge...and you didnt have a garden to grow your own...(or your garden wasnt producing, not the season ect) ould $35 (or in my case $25) be easy to live on then?!
I put as much extra in the freezer and pantry as possible when i can, if i have an extra $5 here and theres a peice of meat, or mixed beans on sale ill grab em...but often times theres just not enough "left over" to "stock up"

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had to start from scratch. I started out with one $2 bottle of multipurpose seasoning and went from there. It can be slow, but well worth it in the end. Instead of grabbing $1 cans of tuna for each meal, it makes more sense to spend that $5 on 10lbs of chicken thighs. That's more than a week's worth of dinners for five bucks, even if you only eat the chicken. Add a pack of ramen noodles, and you can make dinner for over a week on $6. Yes, it sucks, but still. We're not talking about luxury.

ETA: I think the 10lb bags of quarters is about 12 quarters. They're enough to fill my belly with one leg quarter. So, $6.20 and you've got enough dinner to last you for 12 days.

One thing that people seem to forget is that a serving size of meat is 3oz. We tend to eat a LOT more than that. I can sit down and eat a good 9oz steak without a problem. When people are trying to survive, they're also not as worried about spices and eating the same thing every day. Hell, at one point in time, I ate ramen noodles and a box of bulk cheez-its that I gleaned off my brother, and that was for two weeks. At that point, I was just happy to have something to eat, I didn't really give a **** about having a variety to be honest. Yes, it SUCKED, but ya know, it really brought me down to earth. After that, I learned to make the most of everything.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i do agree with alot of that...assuming folks have no specific dietary needs/restrictions (i do so it does make certain things a little more...triksy lol) you can get by on a $7 bag of chicken thighs and a dozen packets of ramen)

i never said it wasnt doable...i just said its as easy as SOME think. yes you CAN survive eating the same food for Every meal every day of the month...but is it healthy? not so much, especially when your also feeding children on that kind of budget.
i think for those that have been there gotten though it ect you understand...for those that havent i definatly think its a challenge everyone should try at some point...live on a food stamp budget (WITHOUT resorting to anything youve already set aside/in your pantry ect) for a month and see what its like to eat chicken and ramen, chicken and beans, Chicken and rice for a month lol.

can it be done, absolutly i feed myself every month for right around $25...
is it going to be the most well rounded well balanced diet...no.

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'd say its a pretty tight food budget to live on. I wouldnt want to do it..

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Haven't been on in a while. Lots happening in life, for the good, I hope. I have fed 3 people very well, including buying meat, wich is expensive, on 100.00 a month. Not the most fun, but it can be done, with out ramen noodles 2 out of 3 meals. Pork can be a reasonable alternative to chicken, or beef. Sometimes I do need some red meat though. I shop the loss leaders. They cycle through, so you just have to get in the groove with the cycle. One local store had a "fill the bag" in the produce section. $10.00 for all you could fit in the bag for certain items. I had over 40 pounds in one bag once. The veggie tray at my recent wedding was under ten bucks, with quite the variety. The deli wanted over 40.00 for the same thing. Never overlook eggs. They are a cheap source of protien, and are great for any meal. Enough of my rambling for now.

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh, there's one more thing I forgot. At least around here, the money you are given each month is for that month only. It expires at the end of the month. So there isn't the ability to spend less one month so you can buy better and healthier items next month. It's use it or lose it. I wish it didn't work that way. I understand why it does, and I don't know how to avoid the problems that would come with changing it. But at the same time it would be nice to encourage savings, and the ability to stock up on healthier items that may cost more.

arctally

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
DianeS said:
I volunteer at a food bank near where I live, and have for about 6 months now. When I started doing that I learned a LOT. Of course not everything I've learned applies to everyone, but if even one or two things applies to a family, then suddenly it gets very hard to provide good food for your family at a reasonable cost.

For one thing, I have been startled at the number of families that come in to the food bank who simply don't know how to cook. Nobody ever taught them, and it's a new idea to some of them. You'll put a bag of rice in their box and they'll say "how do you cook that?" They're willing to learn, but at the moment that they need food, they don't know and have no way to learn.

I have learned that many families have no access to cooking facilities other than a microwave. Maybe they're living in their camper. Or they are renting a room from someone who doesn't want them using the kitchen. Or the stove broke and they can't afford a replacement. Whatever the reason, if it can't be eaten raw or cooked in a microwave, they can't eat it. So they stock up on lots of pasta, rice, bread, canned veggies - and single-serve meats. Prepackaged beef stew. Ravioli. Spaghetti-Os. Sometimes fish sticks. Prepackaged meat at every meal adds up quickly.

Then there is the other side of it, where a family does not have any way to keep food cold. Their refrigerator died and they can't afford another one. Or they're living out of their car. Costs add up when you have to buy milk every other day by the quart, instead of being able to buy once a week by the gallon. Or when you have to purchase things in smaller packs, rather than family style. Not to mention having to throw away leftovers instead of saving them for the next day.

Another thing I had to realize is how transient many of these people have to live their lives. They live in the cheapest apartments, or with friends or family. Often in places where they may be asked to leave with very little notice. While someone stable can live on the amount given by food stamps, it is not so easy to do when you have to keep starting over. If you've been sharing a house (and expenses) with your cousin for a few months, and he kicks you out, it seems nobody thinks to go through the kitchen cabinets and say "I brought this can of beans, and you brought that one". So many things get left behind.

Distance is a factor, too. Not everyone lives in an area with a decent-sized grocery store. And not everyone has a car to use for a grocery run. If your grocery store is the corner convenience store because that is all you can reach on foot or on bicycle, or your tiny grocery store doesn't carry a variety, you get pretty stuck.

Starting with the things we already have in our refrigerators makes it easy. We can cook up some ground beef and put ketchup on it. Some chicken and put salt and pepper on it. A head of lettuce and put salad dressing on it. Some bread and put butter on it. I can - and do - have less than $35 per person per week in my grocery budget.

But what choices would we have to make if we were starting without the stores we already have? Forget about the garden and such, but ALSO forget about the things already in your fridge or cabinets. Start from zero, with $35 per person in your pocket. Could you feed everyone for a week with that, assuming you either had to buy condiments or do without them? A gallon of milk, a pound of butter, a bottle of salad dressing, salt, pepper, maybe some other spices - THEN start picking actual food items. It's harder. And then what if one of those problems applied to you - like lack of refrigeration? Would you buy 5 lbs of ice to use in a cooler (that will last for 3-4 days until it needs purchased again) or would you buy smaller and more expensive items?
My husband and I were out of work for two years recently, I got pregnant right before he got laid off and we lived with "friends". Two of them kicked us out, one after two weeks because my husband wasn't social enough for their taste and therefore must be a sociopathic, homicidal time bomb waiting to go off (I wish I was joking on this one), one after four months because we "weren't finding any work" (we where it just wasn't enough to live on, we needed time to build up a clientele for our vacation rental cleaning service), we were staying in their unfinished upstairs with the mice that made a nest in my six month old's clothes. One friend we were living with simply didn't have the room and after a couple of months living on the floor of an 6' x 8' bedroom spring came and the carpenter ants invaded and we couldn't take it any more. We lived with both sets of parents but mine were going through a crisis with my youngest sister and my hubby couldn't take the stress and he doesn't get along with his folks, so it was rough, but we had a place to stay.

I carried the following in our car trunk: Ramen, dehydrated mashed potatoes from a food bank, beans, rice, flour, sugar, dry yeast (the kind that doesn't have to be refrigerated), oil, raisins, oatmeal, salt. I carried my crock pot because it could double as a dutch oven in case we did have to camp and a pair of cast iron pans and utensils. I found that there is usually a gas station within walking distance where I could get hot dogs, milk and eggs when I needed them. I got canned veggies and fruit when I had somewhere to put them.

arctally

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Very good points, Diane. I've sometimes thought that along w/food stamps, people should be required to learn how to cook if they don't know how, and how to pick good food choices. If you're coming from a family that's always been on welfare, chances are, you're not going to know how to cook properly and how to make good food choices.
I have to disagree. I come from a family that was usually on welfare and my mom taught me how to cook and how to eat right on less, but one of my bosses came from a middle class income family and she and her room mates got scurvy the first year on their own because their mothers never taught them to cook. It has nothing to do with income and everything to do with the intelligence/diligence of those raising you or your own ability to seek out information (ask questions, get books at the library, search the internet at the library, listen to public radio, experiment). The two , intelligence and income, aren't necessarily related.