is it too late?

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i finaly got the garden area tilled. is it too late to plant? i have tomatoes in 3" pots that are wayy big. but is it too late for green beans, and cucumbers? i can still get pumpkins in.

what else is it not too late for???

bjmstahl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I planted sunflowers and green beans yesterday. You should be OK with tomatoes and beans. Check with your state Ag department. They usually have a chart showing what to plant when. Good Luck!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
i finaly got the garden area tilled. is it too late to plant? i have tomatoes in 3" pots that are wayy big. but is it too late for green beans, and cucumbers? i can still get pumpkins in.

what else is it not too late for???
When asking those types of questions, it's good to provide more info. You're in Indiana, but... What climatic zone are you in? How many frost-free days per year do your neighbors say that you get in your neighborhood?

In my region, you might be just a shade late for those things... in someone else's, it'd still be fine. :)

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm in iowa. Took longer to get stuff done cause it was so wet here last year we didn't get a garden and that area wet to the weeds and I had to borrow a brush mower and then I had to borrow a tiller. And dh was all I will do it the next day I am off. Then the next, then the next....so on and so on. It realy hassnet been super hot here.... yet.

bjmstahl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I did check with Iowa's Ag dept. Green beans, tomatoes and cucumbers are acceptable to plant in June.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am going to throw rabbit poo on it later and till it in and be ready to plant.

bjmstahl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I can sympathize with you on getting a late start. The last couple of years I have had tiller trouble and got a late start. This year is great. Got lots planted and I also plan to have a fall garden. I didn't get as much lettuce, chard or spinach as I wanted so I will plant late summer for a fall harvest. But I am planting green beans every two weeks through June to get a crop all summer.

Good luck!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
I am going to throw rabbit poo on it later and till it in and be ready to plant.
Really there are very few gardens that can't be extended IF you are willing and able to baby-sit them. Keep an eye on the forcasts and the temperatures in the early evening with materials available to frost protect them. First frosts hit here when the sky is clear [clouds hold the heat in] we don't quit on fruit until the bees do, Root and leafy vegies. sometimes go all winter CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA ZONE 7b.