Is my dentist a rip-off?

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't have any insurance, and am really disappointed that my dentist is proposing over $1500 worth of work.

I have a tooth that needs a crown (but fortunately not a root canal). The cost of the crown procedure will be $1077. It's for a back molar, but this dentist doesn't do metal crowns, except gold, which is a hundred bucks more. It would be a porcelain over metal crown. I just paid $86 for her to tell me that. She also said that she could see 3 different cavities in there. The initial cleaning and x-ray appointment is $322, and I have no idea how much the fillings are.

Do you all have any similar experiences? I really liked the dentist, but I am afraid that I'll be paying way too much for a fancy crown that I don't need.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Can you call around for prices on what she says you need done? My dentist knows I have no insurance and will be paying cash. He gives me the high end option and the low end option.

Last 2 times I saw him 2 old root canals had gone bad. I opted for the $75 tooth pull. They were in the back and I still have wisdom teeth so I didn't worry about missing teeth.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is about right. Did you ask for a cash discount? Mine will usually give a pretty decent discount for cash payment.
I recently had a gold crown done because according to my dentist they will last many years longer than porcelain and it was right at 1000.00(half up front half when it was placed)
I have opted to have the very back molars removed instead of crowns and that was 25.00 per tooth cash.
You can also ask the dentist to just fill it for now and baby the tooth until you can afford the crown. I have had a filling like that last two years before placing the crown on, they don't like to do it but will if you say you flat cannot afford the crown right now.
Sorry I don't have better news dental work is outrageous!

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, even though it is disheartening, at least I don't feel so bad that you guys have been quoted the same price. I don't have my wisdoms, and I am actually missing my 2nd bicuspeds also (the 2nd smaller molar from the front) since they were pulled when I was in gradeschool to accommodate braces and all my snaggly teeth. So basically, I only have 2 molars. This tooth is by no means rotten, and I kinda need it. It's got a large cavity, and a hairline fracture. I'm only 34, so I'd like to keep it for a while.

I truly don't understand how dental work isn't included in health insurance. Not that I have health insurance either. I know someone who DIED a few years ago after a tooth got infected. :(

I can afford to pay for the whole thing in cash, but it will take a huge chunk out of the money I was saving up for summer (I work for the school system- no paycheck for me in summer).

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I went to a dentist who talked me into a porcelain over 24k gold 3 part bridge. It cost me almost 3600 dollars.

Since then porcelain chipped.

I talked to my new dentist. He actually told me he thinks insurance is a rip off. With good up keep most people don't spend more than their premiums.

He also told me you should never ever put porcelain over good gold. Something pertaining to the gold not being a rough enough surface. So the porcelain has nothing to adhere to. ie the chip on my bridge.

Look into your crown and ask around.

g

ps at my kids fancy pediatric dentist I was paying about 130.00 per filling. Not metal but the white kind. I think it depends on how many surfaces are affected.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was quoted $1200 for crown build-up and porcelain crown.

About the same time, my mother had a stainless steel crown put on for $800. She went to a dentist who specialized in working with cash patients.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't recall what my crowns costs. I've had 2 root canals. W/the first one, they didn't explain that I needed a crown, and they just filled it. I'm not sure how many years I had that filling, but it was several.

Tanks Hill, I agree about insurance. Other than the chiropractor and the allergists, I very rarely go to the doctor. And, we have a copay on both of them. I try to go to the dentist 2x a year, but don't always make it, and I'm overdue for an eye check up. About the only time it really pays is if you need tests. But then again, if you just saved up all that money on your own, it would probably cover them.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My dentist in Missouri charges about $800 for a porcelain crown. I thought that was high!

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well I finally heard from a friend of mine who knows a dental hygeinist in the area.....she says my dentist is officially a RIP OFF. Says I should go somewhere else and request a metal crown. She recommended that I see a dentist new to the area who is an alumi of the school I work for, so maybe he would cut me some slack. Yay! :D

I looked into the cost of getting dental insurance through my part-time job, and it is a total waste. I would pay $200 a year, and it won't even pay for more than $500 of dental work the first year. AND I would have to wait 6 months to use it! It's worthless. For example, they only pay $117 for a crown. Leaving me about $900 more to pay!!!

BTW-- so lucky, what part of MO are you from? I'm originally from Lee's Summit.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ya, check around. Back in the '70's, I worked for a dentist. What a crook. The dental lab delivered two sets of dentures, both were $50 each to the dentist. He charged one ol' guy who was totally broke, $300 for them. The other set went to a wealthy gal, and he charged her $800. When she asked why they were so much, he gave her a BS story about how they were made with special material so they didn't look fake, etc.
My cousin works for an oral surgeon. She said whenever they get a new patient, he looks in the parking lot to see what they drive, and charges accordingly. :/ I have no respect for people like this.

My husband had a temporary crown for 10 years. I had one for probably 7 years. But the adhesive that they use now isn't as good as what it used to be and I bet the material isn't the quality from way back, either. They want to make sure you come back and get a regular crown.

Our small town dentist used to charge about half of what I used to pay for a cleaning in another city. But he recently bought some fancy equipment, prices are really going up and my BS meter is starting to go off. Sigh. I might be on a search again soon.