Is my nitrogen fixed?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
~gd or VeggiePak are you out there?? this sounds like one for you....

i just got in with a huge haul of beans - yay!

but - the plants are covered in those stupid fuzzy yellow demolition bugs and they are ruining everything. since i got my money's worth out of the beans...and i need to plant some more tomato plants soon - i'm wondering if the nitrogen from the beans is now fixed in the soil and the maters can take advantage of it?? or do i have to wait until next season for the full benefit?

i used an innoculant when i planted the green beans and its seemed to have done its job.. the plants were great before those stupid bugs go them. now the plants are mostly ruined. i'd love to kill those stupid bug but not a huge fan (and i'm too cheap) of just spraying them with pesticide.

my big idea is to get out there with the torch and just burn down the plants, send them bugs to kingdom come, scrape off the ashes.... and then plant the need-to-be-planted-now mater plants.

is this just a crazy idea? or could it work?

anyone got a thought about it???

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The problem with the torch idea, is that it does kill the micro-organisms in the soil... I would pull them and add them to the compost pile, or feed them to the chickens. I think the nitrogen issue is resolved, once you have mature plants. Happy Gardening!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Lesa said:
The problem with the torch idea, is that it does kill the micro-organisms in the soil... I would pull them and add them to the compost pile, or feed them to the chickens. I think the nitrogen issue is resolved, once you have mature plants. Happy Gardening!
Dang, I was hoping someone would encourage OFG to get the flamethrower out and roast the little bugs as she worked through the bean patch. WHOOOSSSSHHH * FLAMES * DIE BUGS, DIE! *** WHOOSSH ** KAI, GET MOMMA A FRESH CUP OF STARBUCKS, CANT STOP NOW!!!

Waaaayyy more cool than swinging a battleaxe....seriously, though, if the beans were that infested, I would seriously consider burning them (somewhere) to halt the bug cycle.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Wait, I thought you had to till under the beans and peas to fix the nitrogen???

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Dang, I was hoping someone would encourage OFG to get the flamethrower out and roast the little bugs as she worked through the bean patch. WHOOOSSSSHHH * FLAMES * DIE BUGS, DIE! *** WHOOSSH ** KAI, GET MOMMA A FRESH CUP OF STARBUCKS, CANT STOP NOW!!!
thats what i'm sayin'.... i could totally have an apocalypse now moment.... you know... "i love the smell of bug beans in the morning"..... it would be epic.

WZ - thats what i'm trying to find out.... but i think the nitrogen is in the little weirdy bulbs in the roots????

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
The nitrogen is fixed in nodules on the roots. The beans should be whacked off, leaving the roots.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
.... Dog#2 could be manning the helos while Kai could be laying down suppressing fire... me and Ti leading the charge........

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Lesa said:

Waaaayyy more cool than swinging a battleaxe....seriously, though, if the beans were that infested, I would seriously consider burning them (somewhere) to halt the bug cycle.
:yuckyuck

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
The nitrogen is fixed in nodules on the roots. The beans should be whacked off, leaving the roots.
That's the way I do it. Then I just plant the next crop of veggies in the old bean/pea rows.

This is only my second year of leaving the roots behind but so far, so good. Our plants look much better this year than they did last year.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
What I want to know is, who broke your nitrogen in the first place? If I were you, I'd find out, and make THEM fix it!