Is my nitrogen fixed?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
What I want to know is, who broke your nitrogen in the first place? If I were you, I'd find out, and make THEM fix it!
:yuckyuck

Poor OFG, can't get a straight answer outa anybody around here.

I wanted to asked, who is betting on it? :th

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Denim Deb wrote:

What I want to know is, who broke your nitrogen in the first place? If I were you, I'd find out, and make THEM fix it!

yuckyuck

Poor OFG, can't get a straight answer outa anybody around here.

I wanted to asked, who is betting on it? th
* OFG runs to truck and starts to drive off to the Nitrogen FixIT shop..... stops at end of driveway *

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyy........

buncha wisenheimers! ha!

um... so i guess i should cancel the flame throwers, the body armor, and the helicopter???

no battle glory? no heading over to the Officers Club for drunken revelry? no counting coup? nothing??

just me and some garden shears?

well. ok then. but thats totally not as fun.

*turns and yells to dogs suiting up in battle gear: "mission is scrubbed boys... back to the barracks!" *

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I wouldn't compost the beans if they've got Mexican Bean Beetle larvae. As much as it sucks I'd either burn them (yee haw!) or bag 'em up in a plastic bag and throw them away. And who knows if your nitrogen is fixed or not! I remember that legumes are lazy and if there is available soil N they won't fix their own, but if there was no available soil N they will fix it. When's the last time that part of the garden had fertilizer?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Since it is the nodules in the roots that "fixes" the nitrogen, it is either done or not. Pull up a plant and look at the roots. You will see little teeny tiney "potatoes" on the roots. Those are what fixes the nitrogen.

If you have a bug infestation. I would get rid of the surface plant, either in a hot compost pile, or the chickens. The chickens will love the bugs and the greens.

I think nipping the bug infestation in the bud/butt is more important than fixing nitrogen.

Optimally, if you want to fix nitrogen, you would plow the bean under, but even without plowing the plant under, you will be ahead of the game for next year! For fixing nitrogen you should plant beans in the same spot next year, they should do better. I don't know how that works with the specific bug infestation you have. If the bugs over winters in the ground, you may have to start over elsewhere. I would also let chickens in that part of the garden to help erradicate the nasty little bug.

S

sunsaver

OFG, if you spray the plants with soapy water it will kill all the bugs and their eggs. Then you can turn them under, or just hose them down with clean water and put them in the compost pile. Because you inoculated them, they will have added nitrogen to the soil. Just mow the plants and leave the roots in the ground. Pesticides are a waste of money, and often cause worse bug problems in the future. Soapy water will kill every type of insect.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Just mow the plants and leave the roots in the ground.
ahhh.. thats kinda like battle - at least there is destruction. hum.. maybe i'll go for a two-pronged attack including mowing AND burning the weird leaves/bugs. there are aLOT of bugs and i'm a "scorched earth" kinda gal....

hey this plan is looking up.

*turns to dogs and yells, "prepare to move out at first light, men. looks like we got a ground war to do. and remember we arent after hearts and minds - take no prisoners!"*

S

sunsaver

:lol: Dogs sit up and put their paws to their foreheads and salute, "Yes commander!" But it sounds more like, "woof, woof!"

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
"Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war"

** Ok soldiers, you don't look very fierce with your tails wagging and your tongues all lolled to one side ** Heavy Sigh **