Is there a Doctor in the house?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yes, it can and yes, a scan can/should show some lesions or scarring in certain areas of the brain that control these functions.

Getting a scan can confirm your suspicions but there really isn't any treatment for this....docs will encourage doing puzzles and such to try to improve your mental acuity but can not say if it can give any long term help.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
:( I don't remember much of my childhood either, just little snips like snapshots of moments.
I think mine is more of an emotional shutdown and I don't know why.
My sister often has to tell me stories of stuff that happened, and I don't even remember it when she tells it! :/

I remember more of my high school, but I don't remember names of people except one or two, I don't remember any teachers names (cept 1) and I'm not that far from high school, not that old. :lol:
DITTO! That describes me very well! I remember very little from my childhood.
I can go some place 3 or 4 times and still have to have directions to go back. My DH can go there once 10 years ago and can tell me road for road how to get there!
I do not remember everything from each of my children's births. Weight is pretty much it...no lengths. I don't remember all of the things that my cousin would ask about over and over again....like how often I was sick ect.
No head trauma here.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
when you go for your girlie appt.....tell the Dr. everything. He could recommend another Dr. to handle possible problems in the head.

I had a wonderful childhood, and yup, I can't remember hardly any of it. Seriously, I only remember basically my teen years and up. The family says remember when, and I think, yea kinda...LOL..but I sure can't give details. I think life is overloaded and we all do tend to forget ALOT of those years. But if you feel your memory is more compromised NOW, then yes, be concerned and take action. It is not embarassing, it is just life happening...and it happens to all of us!

take care of yourself. you are your first line of defense when health is concerned!!!! hope all gets better for you!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
Wildsky said:
:( I don't remember much of my childhood either, just little snips like snapshots of moments.
I think mine is more of an emotional shutdown and I don't know why.
My sister often has to tell me stories of stuff that happened, and I don't even remember it when she tells it! :/

I remember more of my high school, but I don't remember names of people except one or two, I don't remember any teachers names (cept 1) and I'm not that far from high school, not that old. :lol:
DITTO! That describes me very well! I remember very little from my childhood.
I can go some place 3 or 4 times and still have to have directions to go back. My DH can go there once 10 years ago and can tell me road for road how to get there!
I do not remember everything from each of my children's births. Weight is pretty much it...no lengths. I don't remember all of the things that my cousin would ask about over and over again....like how often I was sick ect.
No head trauma here.
Wow, I struggle to remember my babies birth weights :th They were all in the 8 pound range and thats all I can remember. I do however remember the time each of them was born. :barnie (and date)

I would remember directions to my old schools and things like that, but my teachers names - nope! I remember going to a camp once, in grade 11 - I know it was close to the school, well within driving distance, but I'd NEVER be able to find it again :gig

EDIT TO ADD: I have a strange "snap shot" of being a baby, and its really strange because I was in a metal crib type bed, in a hospital or something, and I can't for the life of me think of why that would be. That picture in my head is almost like that you see of orphans... a very sad picture. strange.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Thanx everyone. I'll talk to the Dr., or at least get the LPN to bring one in or something. This has been bothering me for a long time and now that I have decent insurance I'd like to get it figured out. Proces of elemination I guess. :rolleyes:

Thank you for all the insight and support, it makes me feel better. My appt. is on the 23rd, we'll see what happens.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Definitely push for it if you believe it will help. I have some physical issues and have been to different doctors over the last 2 years and no one thinks I need the tests I want just to rule out something physical going on. I talked to my therapist the other night and told her about it and she is going to call my OB and tell her to do the testing I want.

You have to fight the doctors a lot of the time for what you believe you need to have done. Just be persistent and get it done!

Let us know how it goes, darlin'.... :hugs

nop169

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
By all means be totally honest with your Dr & request whatever procedure that you think will give you answers. As previously posted - it may be an emotional block from trauma visited upon you as a child... that being said - be sure that you are ready to face any issues that come up from flashbacks.
I am a 40 yo "normal" ??? male who came from a dysfunctional & abusive home - at age 21 I began to experience lapses & emotional breaks - my family doctor sent me to a christian counsler who explained to me that "walls" built during childhood often crumble and cause flashbacks & emotional distress as we get older. He was a great guy & did not want to bring it all up & out from where I hid it (THANK GOD) but he taught me how to re-deal with the fallout. He also taught me to let go of the past. For me it worked. I still have occaisional flashbacks triggered by a sound or smell but they are controllable. A supportive mate helps (THANK GOD for my wife) & one we had kids it helped to focus on them.
Also have your doctor check for physical issues. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a year ago after years of losing time, being forgetfull & living in a "fog" for several years. Now after thyroid supplement I am doing much better (great most of the time)... clearer headed, better memory & feel great... so make sure you get a panel of bloodwork checked out. I had to push for it because I rarely go to the Dr. but life was NOT FUN for too long & I knew something wasn't "right". Good luck in finding out the problem & I hope any emotional "fallout" will be minimum.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I thought I was the only one who described it as "living in a fog"....wow. I did request blood work, and will bring it up again. Full testing. I don't know if my walls are crumbling or not, I hope I have a handle on it, but who's to say? I do have the ocasional emotional outburst, thank goodness its not to strangers or at work. Usually to the DH, poor guy.

So, I'll push for testing, all of it. And then I'll report back here with the results. Thanx everyone, love you all.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I used to have that fog feeling quite often. I found out that being iron anemic can generate a LOT of fog!

The iron carries the oxygen molecules in the blood and supplies the body and the brain. When you have low iron levels the oxygen levels to the brain get low and the fog sets in. When the oxygen gets low the carbon dioxide level also increase. When this gets bad you can have symptoms just like you are drunk - without touching a drop!

My anemia was caused by my (then undiagnosed) Celiac disorder or gluten intolerance, which causes the cilia in the intestines to gunk up and stop absorbing the nutrients in my foods. Supplements really help a lot!

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
I remember very little of my childhood, almost none of high school, and not much of yesterday. I think it's normal, at least for me. I did have two concussions in my youth, but I enjoyed falling out of things.

After having my first child, I spent four years in a brain fog. It was hypothyroidism. Dr. John Lowe's website and Armour Thyroid saved my life, literally.

If you're behaving differently than normal, like more fearful, hopeless, clumsy, forgetful, then you should tell your doctor. Have everything written down so you don't forget to tell her. Your mind will likely go blank once she enters the exam room.

Good luck :hugs