1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Plastic up the porch - Discussion Thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Is there a formula for led power savings?

Discussion in 'How To Save Energy' started by Colored Egg Farmer, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Mar 13, 2015
    Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Way Too Many Chickens

I was wondering if there was a formula available to figure out how much power savings you would get with an led. I'm just wondering because the led I need is very expensive around 150.00 bucks compared to its incandescent version which is usually around 2-3 bucks. I just wanted to see if it was worth to convert over to it as that is quite a chunk of change to put into an led bulb. Even though I wouldn't have to be up on a ladder for quite some time to replace it.

2. Mar 14, 2015
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

I don't know if there is something like that available. I was interested in LED's for my plant starter efforts, but the reviews I read for the lower cost ones weren't encouraging; they start breaking down too soon. I can't afford the more expensive units; like you, they are a big chunk of my available dollars.

3. Mar 15, 2015
    Hinotori

Hinotori Super Self-Sufficient

What the heck are you converting to LED that it costs that much?

tortoise likes this.
  4. Mar 23, 2015
    Smart Red

Smart Red Lovin' The Homestead

@Colored Egg Farmer, the LED you purchase will have a listing of its usage hours. They will last many, many times longer than an incandescent bulb. However, the usage hours shown is the length of time the LED will operate at a minimum of 50%.

As Britesea stated, the LEDs will begin to lose (lumens) power. Still, 10 (or more) years of light isn't all that shabby and I prefer LEDs to the CFLs with mercury in them.

5. Apr 5, 2015
    Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Way Too Many Chickens

Reason For switching:
    1. I have to climb a ladder every time I have to change the bulb.
    2. This is a commercial address so electric costs a lot more than residential addresses.
    3. the Led uses around 40-45 watts where the incandescent uses 300.
    4. The bulb (should) last 45 times the incandescent which at 2 dollars a bulb is 90 bucks already.
    5. Less waste.

We tried the cfl version and they are huge and take a long time to warm up at the size. PLus as Smart Red Said I hate having all the mercury around and no where to recycle. Lowes is the only place nearby and I can't fit a bulb that big in their recycling box.